FPSMMORPG? Could it work - discussion

OliviaTalks

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 am

Been thinking about asking my boss to put me in contact with our Gaming Department to see if we can make a hardcore-ish MMOFPSRPG and would like to hear what everyone thinks of the idea. Gameplay-wise, think something like online Fallout 4 with temp-bans on death and no instant-travel/teleport abilities/mechanics. Also, it's set in a similarly post-apocalyptic setting in Japan (Loads of well-known landmarks and different area-types) with some small semi-societies here and there

EDIT: I am aware that Destiny, technically speaking, fits into this category. I really don't think they did it well. Disregard it, it's not worth it...
OliviaTalks

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:11 am

Tokyo City will probably be filled with blocked-off areas and have some really cool landscapes... We'd have to have a trip to Tokyo so we could get some pictures of all the landmarks... vacation HYPE
Sotonian

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:40 am

There have been a few MMO FPS games (not so much RPG though), Planetside 1+2 and WW2 Online come to mind, i have played all three and while the concept is great, the execution is not so well done.
OliviaTalks

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:37 pm

[QUOTE="Sotonian, post: 37639, member: 69068"]There have been a few MMO FPS games (not so much RPG though), Planetside 1+2 and WW2 Online come to mind, i have played all three and while the concept is great, the execution is not so well done.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but with the right concept and setting, something like Fallout could make an excellent MMO... no-one's just done it properly yet... here's to hoping

But what would really make one of those games stand out would probably be something like doing away with a lot of different known mechanics like Hearthstones in WoW or Teleportation Scrolls in TERA... something like trains being able to get you to a specific location, but with some different risks and limitations could be insanely fun to be honest
MavenOfMisfortune

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:41 pm

The main problem is defining what makes an RPG in this current sense. Defining what elements are crucial to "FPS" too. There are no industry standards, so before one can ask if a well-executed FPSMMORPG is possible...you have to answer "What exactly would a well-executed FPSMMORPG require?" Less about flavor, more about its structure and most basic elements.

For instance, I feel that Planetside 1 was an excellent FPS MMO. But why do I not associate it with RPG? Is it because of the lack of quest? The lore? The worldbuilding? Is it because of a lack of PvE element? Is it because there weren't explicitly divided classes or talent specs beyond specific certifications? Is it a lack of loot? Some of the above? All of the above?

Further, what makes Destiny and The Division not well-executed? You might think that's an easy answer, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty they both tried to do most of the above. Can there be an FPSMMORPG without quests? Can there be one without loot? If there were execution problems, are they innate to what they tried to do or are they evidence of a poorly thought or a discombobulated design philosophy?

Both players and design studios have preconceived notions of what many labels mean, and none of them are particularly consistent. That's why understanding your own biases and terminology is so important. If you don't clearly define things when you're doing a pitch or pre-pitch work, then you're going to end up under-executing or failing to deliver what you promise. And that's just half the work. Even if you make a consistent product, your next job is making sure whether or not you can sell players your vision of a consistent FPSMMORPG.

tl;dr: Could it work? Depends on exactly "it" is. Genre terms are vague and ultimately a marketing tool; it's best to develop a design concept and philosophy first, then figure out the labels afterwards.
OliviaTalks

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:43 pm

[QUOTE="MavenOfMisfortune, post: 37686, member: 55411"]tl;dr: Could it work? Depends on exactly "it" is. Genre terms are vague and ultimately a marketing tool; it's best to develop a design concept and philosophy first, then figure out the labels afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Everything about that I agree with, sorry that I didn't write everything down - some stuff I've gotta be a bit silent about though, because it's pretty much stuff I'm not allowed to tell :P
voxling

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 pm

I mean, I would make a argument for Destiny 2 being the most "mmorpg-esque" shooter out there and its pretty much without genuine competition rn in that space. and even with the poor performance due to upper management this year its a very big title. if you would want to learn about how to balance the fps and rpg parts of this type of game and want to research previous games that's out there, that would be the gold standard. and in my opinion, especially with the subclass 3.0 updates it absolutely shows that it works. the biggest issue is the divide in the player base that has happened. people who know how to buildcraft steamroll everything like it is a joke. people who don't, really, really struggle.