New Vegas Build Help

GamerBiggie

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey all, just wondering if anyone could give me some tip/help with a Melee build maybe a sniper too, unsure.

I decided on the type of character I am after but I have no clue how to decide on what SPECIAL stats and traits to go for.. never really understood what they all do tbh.

So the basic idea for the character is I have to kill at least 1 civilian character in each town I visit and steal their left leg and hide it in another persons house... disturbing I know xD

Any help with special and traits would be appreciated, I did look through the Archtypes for Cohh but none seems to fit what I was going for..

Thanks in advance :)
MavenOfMisfortune

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:20 pm

You're going to want stealth and melee if you want that basic idea for the perk "Ninja". Deciding on your SPECIAL is mostly for meeting perk requirements. Also, if you want to be min-maxy, it's rare you'll want more than 1 Charisma. As such...here's what I recommend for your leg-stealing psychopath.

S - 6
P - 6
E - 6
C - 1
I - 5
A - 8
L - 8

Tagged: Sneak, Melee, Repair (or Lockpicking if not interested in an early Light Touch perk)
Required Perks: Finesse (Lv10), Silent Running (Lv12, Sneak 50), Better Criticals (Lv18), Ninja (Lv20, Melee 80 Sneak 80), Tunnel Runner (Lv26)
Good Optional Perks: Friend of the Night (Lv2, Sneak 30), Light Touch (Lv2, Repair 45), Bloody Mess (Lv6), Stonewall (Lv8), Super Slam (Lv8, Melee 45), Mr.Sandman (Lv10, Sneak 60), Unstoppable Force (Lv12, Melee 90), Light Step (Lv14), Slayer (Lv24, Unarmed 90), Burden to Bear (Lv30), Broad Daylight (Lv36)

Asterisked perks below are the build's basic staples, and double asterisked perks are heavily recommended. If all optional perks are desired too, a good recommended perk progression could be something like the following:
Lv2 - Friend of the Night
Lv4 - Light Touch
Lv6 - Bloody Mess**
Lv8 - Stonewall
Lv10 - Finesse*
Lv12 - Silent Running*
Lv14 - Mr. Sandman**
Lv16 - Light Step**
Lv18 - Better Criticals*
Lv20 - Ninja*
Lv22 - Super Slam
Lv24 - Slayer**
Lv26 - Tunnel Runner*
Lv28 - Unstoppable Force
Lv30 - Burden to Bear
Lv32 - Free Choice
Lv34 - Free Choice
Lv36 - Broad Daylight

Oh, you'll also want implants for Luck, Agility, and Strength at least. Also recommended are getting the Lucky Shades or Blackjack Courier's Duster to allow you to hit the magical 10 Luck number.You can also get Chance's Knife for an utterly ridiculous early game weapon. All you need to do is grab a shovel from Goodsprings Source, walk a short distance, dodge a few cazadors, and dig up a grave to get it.
GamerBiggie

Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:09 am

Oh wow, thank you for that. Didn't expect so much detail, all of it sounds good to me and will give it a try a bit later :)

Is there any down side to having 1 Charisma ?
MavenOfMisfortune

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:09 am

[QUOTE="Biggiewilson, post: 28199, member: 57001"]Oh wow, thank you for that. Didn't expect so much detail, all of it sounds good to me and will give it a try a bit later :)

Is there any down side to having 1 Charisma ?[/QUOTE]

The only downside is low starting Barter and Speech, and having no bonus damage or armor for any companions you use. But as long as you aren't doing a low Intelligence run, low starting skills are EASILY overcome. As for your companions, you just either have to not play on Hardcore, not use companions, or be slightly more careful. All of which are easily doable. This is why most builds which are not flavored for being sociable or companion heavy usually tank the Charisma stat to put the stats elsewhere.

And no problem! I enjoy things like this.