Keep getting stuck around lvl 53

zombieradio28

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

I've tried playing POE twice now, once in Harbinger and now in Abyss. Both times, I've gotten stuck at level 53 where I just insta-die every time I run into an abyss (or Harbinger in previous season). My current build and items are below.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/vie ... characters

I'm trying to build into this.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1879779

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I tend to think it's the -30 chaos.

I really enjoyed the game, but when your face keeps getting punched in all of a sudden, it ceases to be enjoyable.
Feerlis1

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Do you do any dodging or just rush in and face tank? Try pulling groups of mobs outward that way you can kill some before the others get to
damaging you. Chaos isn't that huge of factor i believe.
zombieradio28

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:17 pm

I don't facetank, as my build doesn't really allow it. I had a problem with my character getting stuck shooting a mob or boss even when I'd click away. However, I think I solved that by making left click "move only." The reason I think Chaos is a problem is that Chaos resist is super hard to build, and any time I get poisoned it's an insta-death. I can't even hit my health pots in time to catch it.

That said, if you don't find chaos a problem, I'm interested in hearing why.

Thanks for the response!
stagturtle

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 am

How much life do you have and what are your resistances? It sounds to me that they are a little on the low side.
Sirkillmenot

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:49 am

Can't see your profile since it's set to private, so can't see your build/gear.

Is this right after the Kitava fight (Act 5 end boss)? Your resistances take a -30% penatly after it so you need to compensate for that. And do you have flasks that remove effects like burning and bleeding? That can kill you aswell if you have have a low health pool.
zombieradio28

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 am

It's set to private? Stink. On my end it doesn't say it is. Anyway, yes, this is right after Kitava. My resistances are as follows
  • Lightning - 68%
  • Fire - 68%
  • Cold - 37%
  • Chaos - -20%
As to health/energy shield
  • Health - 1,048
  • ES - 490
These numbers aren't exact, but they're pretty close. After talking to some guys in chat yesterday, I picked up some immune to fire and poison flasks, and that really helps.
rsslyder

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Most likely its due to the relatively lower life pool...and some of the resists. While chaos is a pin, im at -16% running t10 maps and not having too much of an issue with it. For sure make left click Move only...too many times you try to move and attack something random if you leave an attack on it. Also work on your resists and get them as high as possible.

I would try looking on POE trade to find some better gear with life/evasion and some more resistances. Those should both start to help you out...I didnt look really hard, but also a decoy totem would be really helpful if you arent currently using one.
spicy_longjohns

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 am

I'm relatively new to POE too, but in looking quickly at your target build, you have chosen a more complex and "expensive" build. The build will struggle without strong gear, and ES and ES shield do not come easy. The build guide you followed is really intended for standard league, where people have huge banks of items and currency to craft high ES gear. Without the high ES you are going to get stomped over and over. Honestly, I would re-roll, and pick one of the top 10 from the lists floating around for rushing a new league, not a standard league build. If you cant be bothered to re-start, then I guess I would add a taunt totem into your gems somewhere and try tossing those out before a fight. To be honest though, I closed my eyes through Act 1-5 and felt like it got harder at Act 8. If you are struggling at Act 5 you are better of re-starting cause you'll get to end game faster.
zombieradio28

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:21 pm

[USER=118819]@spicy_longjohns[/USER] yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of. Turns out I'm pretty terrible at picking viable league builds.
Sirkillmenot

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm

It's indeed what spicy_longjohns said, it's a low hp build, and that kinda sucks without supporting gear. Also, iirc, the maps after Kitava have alot of cold mobs, your weakest resistance.

I'm not good enough in PoE to tell you what you can do to save your current char, and a re-rolling with a starter chat might be the better option.
zombieradio28

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks, guys. I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Stink. I've almost 80 hours into this game from two different playthroughs and I've not yet gotten to mapping. These are things that I needed to know tho, so huge thanks.
spicy_longjohns

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm

[QUOTE="zombieradio28, post: 52980, member: 101495"]Thanks, guys. I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Stink. I've almost 80 hours into this game from two different playthroughs and I've not yet gotten to mapping. These are things that I needed to know tho, so huge thanks.[/QUOTE]
Just park the toon and come abck to it. Most heavy players rush end game with a start build, farm currency and gear, then try to push content, speed, or wacky builds when they can fund it. If you like totem playstyle, I am using pizza stick flameblast and literally walked through all acts without even paying attention. You drop totems and loot while things die, occasionally moving out of the action. Can play very defensive tossing your totems out ahead of you. I bought 5 chaos worth of gear at level 45 and am still wearing it all in early maps. The only place that gave me trouble were the cold damage mobs in the desert in Act 8(?), so I just slowed down and trailed my totems.
Arandur87

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 am

Besides the "best starter builds" Spicy linked, there are several beginner friendly and cheap builds like Dual Strike *insert random melee Ascendancy here* with the Bloodseeker Claw for instant leech.
Or Cohhs Glacial Cascade build.
You could also try the Molten Strike build I posted a guide here on the forums, pretty safe and cheap to start as well with lots of potential with high end gear.
And if you really want to use Bows, just go for some standard Tornado/Barrage/Ice Shot/Lightening Shot Pathfinder.
Pathfinders are super stable to play due to their flask orientated Ascendancy nodes.
zombieradio28

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Hey guys, so I restarted using the Burning Spectre build that JP was using, and BOY HOWDY it's different. Much easier. :)
Sirkillmenot

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 am

Nice! Have a spectre build myself and it's quite fun. Good luck!