Can we talk about the emotes for a second?

Post any and all ideas about improving or changes to the Twitch channel.
SharpeyedKitsune

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:34 am

Hi all! Foxy hugs just for reading this. This is going to be long one, sorry.

Let me start off by saying that I fully respect the time and effort that every artist put into making the emotes for Cohh's twitch channel. Rejected, Put into storage or currently in use; I say 'Good Show' for the effort alone. It's more than I could do.

Also, I understand that mine is just one opinion out of, what, nearly seven thousand subs at this point? But this isn't solely for personal gratification. I want to do my part to help improve the channel and I sincerely believe this suggestion may do that. I hope.

I am fully aware that my opinion is also simply that. Mine. And an opinion. I apologize if I seem to lose sight of that in the following thread and I will endeavor not to. I don't make or enforce policy. I understand and respect that.

So; Let's get to it.

Some of the emotes on the channel are unnecessary.

And some are absolutely sacred: CohhKahn, CohhDimitri, CohhTorque, CohhKitten, CohhLaina and even cohhLove to a point (this one is arguable, see below) are timeless, and I would never dream of questioning them, even if - God forbid - something happen to their representative individuals.

That being said;

We've got 50 emotes in the channel, awesome artists and a great community. We have great ideas, and a myriad of situations where we just want to express ourselves with pictures.

Redundant emotes have no place.

F5 and Save Scum are both really good examples. Like yes, okay, I understand they give different messages but it's so slight and it's taking up a slot.

What about Cohhderp and Cohhdingus? The same message is conveyed, outright. Yes, they're both cute. Yes, they're both funny but are they both necessary?

Then there's the ones that are there solely for the sake of a meme. I'm looking at you cohhFeelsBad. We've already got cohhFeels (which is a great emote) to say the same thing and if people want FeelsBad, then... we have FeelsBad.

cohhKappa is another example. or rather cohhK. It took me two full months in the channel to realize it was a Kappa face. Now, that's on me, I get that. But it always seemed like a neutral-to-grumpy Cohh face just going 'Kay...' which, unto itself is kinda funny. But we have a Kappa face (several infact) already.

Which brings me to my next point. (Man, this Kitsune fox sure loves to hear themselves talk, eh? Just shut up already.) I know, I know.

Some of the emotes are in desperate need of a face lift.

I mentioned cohhLove above. It's great, and absolutely one of the things we're about on the channel. But with some of the emotes getting an improvement recently, maybe it's time for a heart transplant?

cohhGS is another one. It's a Cohh Face with 'Welcome' attached. Fair enough. Absolutely important. But the shortcut and the emote don't match. And the face looks (to me) a bit too much like Nintendo's Mario as opposed to our awesome host. I've mentioned it in the channel, if it said 'Good Show' like Cohh does, it could still be used as a welcome message AND it would fit the shortcut, but 'Good Show' has more uses than just 'Welcome'.

and the big one.

CohhGV. Good Vibes. The hallmark of the cohhilition. Arguably the most important emote in the entire repertoire. It's great. I love it. We probably all love it. It looks old and tired. And a little glaringly pink. We've got channel colours, we've got branding - so to speak - maybe paint the good vibes cannon?

"But Kit..." I hear you say. "You're offering all of this criticism with no suggestions on how to improve or replace it."

You're right. And I'm going to change that right now.

We've got artists, we've got people who offer emotes on twitter or other such things. I'm not saying for every game, but maybe switch out emotes similar to the overlay?

We've got Lelele, we've got Brotherhood armour and bonfire (to say nothing of PTS), why not CohhDM for darkest dungeon, or cohhVakiin for skyrim? Or even base it by genre. cohhFessor for puzzle games, cohhSlayer/cohhGician for epic fantasy, cohhMando for shooters?

What about seasons? cohhCloud for rainy days, cohhFlake for blizzards, cohhRistmas might be a good one (though cohhSanta is awesome).

On a more permanent basis, what about giving the good vibes cannon an emote? Or maybe personalized mod emotes? Maybe. there's a lot of them. Another suggestion might be a second raid icon. Zeke has two hammers, though I admit they might have different uses. I don't actually know. Heck, the cohhBomb might do with a face lift as well!

Thanks for reading, all.
Foxy hugs
~Kit
LadyManga

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Seconded. If I think of any suggestions, I shall add them.
Luna_Is_BestPrincess

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:22 pm

I agree that a few of the emotes do need a facelift or replacement:

- Pet emotes should stay due to their constant appearance and just general adorableness. I recall a mention of thinking of having cohhTorque updated along the lines of Dimitri's?

- cohhK (Kappa) is a finicky one as it's like a tradition for streams to have a variant of Kappa. It's embedded in Twitch history, so I'm on the fence about that one.

- cohhB and cohhB2 were great for when we had our Fallout runs, but I'm thinking those could be replaced now.

- cohhGV could use an update along the lines of our new scheme, as you suggest.

- I honestly love both cohhDerp and cohhDingus. cohhDerp is great for general use, cohhDingus is specific.

- I see your point about cohhF5 and cohhScum. I rarely see cohhScum used unlike cohhF5.

- I think cohhL should stay as it is. It's based around Cohh's signature beanie and relates well to the channel.

- cohhGShow should definitely remain, but could use a name change to relate to the actual image.