VIP Detection Optimization

Post any and all ideas about improving or changes to the Twitch channel.
shadowoflight_

Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:20 pm

I was out of sub for moment because I was switching payment methods.

As you probably know, the payment detection can be a little wonky at times, so I typed 'test' in chat to see if I was still subbed, because it seemed as though the payment had gone through the payment portal, yet I wasn't charged. Didn't want to try again and get double charged.

Anyway.

I was immediately flagged as a VIP, coming off from a 68 month sub streak, and of course I was given a gift sub by another wonderful viewer.

My understanding is that it's supposed to detect a long-term non-sub lurker typed someone after a long period of time.

I'm wondering if, because my status switched from sub to non-sub, it detected me as a non-sub who typed something for the first time in 68 months, when technically I should only have been a non-sub for a few minutes.

Don't get me wrong, love it, loved the gift sub, it's just that I was going to carry on sub-ing anyway, so a sub that could have gone to someone else dropped on me instead.

Hope this helps, thanks for everything! :cohh7:
BarryCarlyon

Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:16 am

Thats exactly how it's supposed to work.

Subscriber data is consumed in _near_ real time.
So when your sub ends, you are flagged as a non sub in out systems pretty much right away.

So that made you an eligible target. Things work _slightly_ differently when live. As the system targets long timers that have spoken recently. So it's more likely to roll to spottable VIPs.
shadowoflight_

Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:55 pm

BarryCarlyon wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:16 am
Thats exactly how it's supposed to work.

Subscriber data is consumed in _near_ real time.
So when your sub ends, you are flagged as a non sub in out systems pretty much right away.

So that made you an eligible target. Things work _slightly_ differently when live. As the system targets long timers that have spoken recently. So it's more likely to roll to spottable VIPs.
Hmm...

Let's put it this way, I think my last few months has been gifted by others because every time it ends and I talk I get flagged. Effectively, going forward, I'll be gift subbed as long as I type something once in awhile.

I mean, it's 'good', for me, but I doubt that's good in the spirit of the gift subs supposedly going to long term non-sub lurkers who are speaking for the 1st time.

Maybe add a filter, so if someone's been subbed for a total of at least.. I don't... 12months, they won't get flagged?
BarryCarlyon

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:27 pm

Let's put it this way, I think my last few months has been gifted by others because every time it ends and I talk I get flagged. Effectively, going forward, I'll be gift subbed as long as I type something once in awhile.
You won't as there is a limit on the number of VIP you can get
Maybe add a filter, so if someone's been subbed for a total of at least.. I don't... 12months, they won't get flagged?
I don't retain previous sub data so I don't know you were a previous sub.