Dark and Light PvE

Server info for various games played within the Cohhmunity will be posted here.
DoogenAC

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Our population and activity is down, we still have about one dozen regular players.
  • Last week's update forced an anger-encouraging server side setting on players related to item decay. I didn't make that update, it was geared towards clearing out very messy/land blocked "Official" servers.
  • Today we see there is a patch adjusting now separate rates for thatch, less aggressive decay for wood, even less for stone. Upgrading to that now; patch notes are at http://steamcommunity.com/games/529180/ ... 3552616382
  • Visit your and your friends buildings to keep them "alive"!
  • If you 're on my server and have gone nuts building, take some time and clear back some of your work. We have collectively created so much stuff that it's starting to wear on everyone's frame rates and server responsiveness. This after experiencing more than 140 unique logins and some 50-60 very involved players over this past month!
Overall game performance has started to decline for everyone. I have made a local copy and the issues are less with fewer people on, more when both are running, and much much less/noticeable on a fresh world. I've concluded we need to "clean up" our landblocks a bit.

This has manifest in slowness when moving around and asking the server for data to drawn new/neighboring landblocks. It is manifest in rubberbanding while clients and the server work out new draw settings. It is particularly noticeable on fast, flying pets when you traverse areas with player built buildings. I expect this is due to the large volume of textures/items that have been built; conservatively our server easily has 500,000 objects that it didn't have on day one! Roughly one third of these are visible building objects. We have, as part of our fun, placed and destroyed hundreds of thousands of new objects on the server. Today, even just asking a forge to melt a stack of 200 ore into 100 bars incurs a few seconds of delay while the server creates the stack of timers. The server's CPU and RAM demands have remained calm. Even with the server running on SSD we are experiencing this slowness.

At this rate I do expect to look towards mid or end September as a time to ask current players what you want the server setup to do. We may look towards a server reset, building reset, all reset, or leave it all alone and continue to run as possibilities. We've had a fun time testing and It's simply electricity at this point for me to continue to run it. I plan on doing so with our active players' inputs, here and on my discord. Perhaps we'll change it up to a PvP server or do something drastic, perhaps we'll continue our calm, builder-oriented PvE ways indefinitely.

I've just wrapped up a disk-to-disk backup of our Saturday 8/25/2017 "5309" configuration. I'll be upgrading (twice), testing and restarting the server with new code over the course of this next half hour.

More to come!
-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
DoogenAC

Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:28 pm

We are discussing in my discord how to delicately trim back unwanted, unused buildings and may start to simply look for the names of people who haven't logged in for a while and remove their associated buildings. We'll likely start with (rough guess) 15 to 20 days away means you probably aren't coming back for a while.

And folks are certainly welcome back, if you find you are (re)interested, do come back; holler and regulars can help get you into an active group (they are limited to like "race"), and/or we can help with a starter "kit" of weapons, gear, and few buildings blocks for a small hut.

server, discord info, etc. all in the first post of [this] thread. https://www.cohhilition.com/threads/dar ... -pve.18706
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
DoogenAC

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:17 am

All please note I've restarted a fresh ARK server, number of players peaked for DnL just under 30, often 10-15 concurrent.
I expect from that fun group we'll see folks move back and forth between DnL and ARK. So net effect on each game, is I am expecting about the same load on the hardware; the "Server" is a shared machine running ARK and DnL servers.

Please know I'm interested in keeping both up and running well. And yes, I'll bounce between the two games (and others!) Let me know if you see any performance issues on DnL; we did clean up a number of "aged" tribes' buildings Sunday of this past weekend.
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 am

There is an ongoing language translation or "localization" project going on now for DnL. If interested, see article -> https://www.playdnl.com/all/news/2017/0829/7566.html
Doog. Call me Doog!
Naughty_Z00T

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Seems like we lost ALOT of our players to ARK, sad. I built a Nidhog / flyer taming pen on the plains. big gate unlocked and plenty of troughs down to use. Tamed a lvl 20 Nidhog last night to test it out. Worked well. Bummed that Nidhogs lose all their Wildness and never gain lvls from tame.
MoistGrover

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:32 pm

[QUOTE="Hs_noob, post: 47426, member: 36310"]Seems like we lost ALOT of our players to ARK, sad. I built a Nidhog / flyer taming pen on the plains. big gate unlocked and plenty of troughs down to use. Tamed a lvl 20 Nidhog last night to test it out. Worked well. Bummed that Nidhogs lose all their Wildness and never gain lvls from tame.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for building that, it will come in handy! We need to get a group together and explore the new cave system and see what the boss is like.
DoogenAC

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 pm

[QUOTE="Hs_noob, post: 47426, member: 36310"]Seems like we lost ALOT of our players to ARK, sad. I built a Nidhog / flyer taming pen on the plains. big gate unlocked and plenty of troughs down to use. Tamed a lvl 20 Nidhog last night to test it out. Worked well. Bummed that Nidhogs lose all their Wildness and never gain lvls from tame.[/QUOTE]

Games will come, games will go - and we'll continue to find like minded friends to connect with and play more games! ARK also has an expansion coming in about 2 months. And really, if DnL receives all the improvements that ARK has now received, it's going to be great. We'll certainly be "Back" to the server to play. It is taking up minimal resources and several folks are still playing on it. As long as it's being used I don't mind keeping the server running.

Please ping me on my discord if it need attention outside the usual 2x daily reboot schedule!
-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 am

major release 7085 is up and running and given the lower number of players now, please note the aggressive object cleanup settings are in place as of ~2 days ago. If you don't login for days to a few weeks, items will degrade. Login to keep your stuff!
Doog. Call me Doog!
Naughty_Z00T

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm away on a bicycle trip DC-PGH. Took train from PGH to DC on Oct. 2nd and friend & I are biking home. About 360 miles biking in 6 days. we are also bike camping so extra 40lbs. on our bikes makes it a challenge. Tired but we have done it each year since 2012, except last year where i biked Ireland which was amazing. Hopefully my base is not completely vanished or creatures up for claiming. will not get chance to login until late Sat. Oct. 7th. Hope all of Doognation is doing well.
DoogenAC

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am

The DnL server has been very quiet for a few days. I'm not in a rush - and will at some point need to sort out its resurrection. It was part of the story arc (heh) for ARK to take a break, come back in a few months and start fresh. For now will leave it as is - and there ARE items staleness/destruction parameters turned on now. I tried to make them longer than the usual 3 day term. I'll turn "Enable Structure Decay PvE" off and "Auto Destroy Structures" off for now, the needed "thinning" has already occurred in my opinion. If they were intact as of 4pm this afternoon they'll be there when you return. The decay was starting for lightweight materials at like 3 days. Changes will go into effect at this afternoon's scheduled reboot.
-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
TDUDrivetime

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:51 pm

After everyone left for ARK it got very lonely (i dont have ARK :p ) so i didn't log in very often and haven't for a while now so I've moved on to Divinity II :cool: but i will be back after a few updates and maybe start another run. :)

Thanks for all the time and effort put into the server Doog. :D
MoistGrover

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 pm

[QUOTE="TDUDrivetime, post: 48495, member: 99403"]After everyone left for ARK it got very lonely (i dont have ARK :p ) so i didn't log in very often and haven't for a while now so I've moved on to Divinity II :cool: but i will be back after a few updates and maybe start another run. :)

Thanks for all the time and effort put into the server DoogTheyjusr[/QUOTE]

They just added some Halloween content if you want to check it out. And if you need help getting set back up let me know and I can help out :)
TDUDrivetime

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 am

[QUOTE="jag18porsche, post: 48796, member: 66763"]They just added some Halloween content if you want to check it out. And if you need help getting set back up let me know and I can help out :) [/QUOTE]
Thanks but I'm going to play Divinity II for a bit, but i will be back at this game at some point in the future but don't know if this server will still be up by then. :(
DoogenAC

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Thanks guys yes, that was a good run with an early access game, I haven't noticed much activity at all on the DnL server, and of course we can start it back up. It's not taking up particular resources as is so I'll leave it, and may shut it down about Dec 1 if there is no significant activity this month. No burning issues here cause me to want to take it down; I may reduce its backup frequency to preserve some disk space - please chime in here if any of you are still using it.

https://discord.gg/jC9EmVp is also current for Discord.

-Doog
-
Doog. Call me Doog!