Starbound Server, interest?

Server info for various games played within the Cohhmunity will be posted here.
Domin0e_

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:51 am

On Christmas Eve, Chucklefish and Multiplay brought me.. STARBOUND SERVERS TO RENT! (yay)

This one has just rented a Starbound server on Multiplay for all of the Cohhilition to play on! Please bear in mind, most administrative tools are still MIA safe for a kick (and maybe ban) function via the Admin Panel.
The server is situated in LONDON, so EU and East Coast should be able to play w/o major lags. (Sorry for all other guys, but you'll have to put up with distance lags ;/ )

If you want, you CAN join with your high end characters, please note though, progressing TOGETHER is way more fun! ;)
All rules of the Cohhilition apply to the server as well. Furthermore there will be a "No Griefing" rule which we could potentially lax a little bit if we'll ever get PVP. There's nothing as beautiful as blowing up your arch enemies hideout. :p

You can connect to the server via the following,
IP: 85.236.100.145:22425
Username: Here you need to put a single space. This can and will most likely change once we get Server accounts somewhere down the road.
Password: cohhilition

There's plenty of space available (haha) on the server, as it has a WHOPPING 40 Slots, which I'd like to see used guys, so start up Starbound and play! :p

Also, take this kinda as my Christmas Present to the Cohhilition. <3

"Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion."
Mattybrah

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:27 pm

I am also really enjoying Starbound, at the moment I'm just playing with a small group of friends with a server that is being hosted by us so its not the most stable. Once all those dedicated server features get implemented I pray the Cohhilition gets a Starbound server, be it RP or whatever as long as people have a stable server to play on with friends.
Rynea

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 am

Are there already hosters out there? For the time being I could use my dedicated root server and host the game, but it's more of a semi stable environment as I do have other stuff on it that might interfere, so I'd prefer some host for a 24/7 environment.

As for the MP mode, there is password protection among other things.

EDIT: Okies, I will start the server after the new patch comes out.

For now I make it invite only, feel free to shoot me a PM or post here and I send you the details. It's not at all customized right now, as I didn't get the time yet to adapt it, so its pretty much vanilla with a password set.
Over time if enough people are interested and once I move over to a hoster (probably tomorrow) I can adapt it more.

Current specs are

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 Quadcore Haswell
32 GB DDR3 RAM
1 Gbit/s-Port

Hosting Location is Frankfurt / Germany, though as Starbound isn't very intense when it comes to low ping, I doubt this will be an issue even for US people.

About 16GB will be assigned to Starbound only, the other 16GB are allocated on a shared basis. I expect this to work fine for up to 50 players, calculating it from experience of other hosts with 1GB for 4 players, but honestly I have no clue how this will work out for more than a few players, it's at least for me untested.
Domin0e_

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:15 am

Ah, there already IS password protection? I saw some people whining on the forums about being griefed 'n stuff so I figured we lacked passwords.
As of now, there are no hosters. BUT, Multiplay, amongst others will, sometime soon (TM), have Starbound servers available. My guess is Beta Phase 2 since we're missing a bunch of administrative stuff for MP right now.
Rynea

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:10 am

There is a password option, but there are not yet any options to sort of secure your planets/creation/ships storage ingame, this means, that once you build something on a planet, everyone who has access to the server and knows your location can steal/destroy it. This is the only reason why I currently wouldn't make the server details public, even though if you pick a random number planet, it's highly unlikely anyone will find it if you don't tell them about it.

As for hosters I found a few, but only small ones I don't trust enough. Perhaps I stick to my own one for a while longer. In a week from now there will be far more available options.
Domin0e_

Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:57 am

Original FIRST Post:
Hi there!

I am really pumped up with Starbound finally being in Beta and everything! Following the game since, umm.. quite some time ago, and with me being a guy that likes roleplaying, I've thought about setting up a server when the possibility arises.

I was thinking on the lines of a bigger server, if possible with pvp, roleplaying and all that gud stuff. With features that have been announced AEONS ago, like "Director Mode", there would even be chances for adventures in D'n'D style with a DM, phat loot, and tons of fun (and creativity while prepping planets/solar systems).
HOWEVER, as of now I won't touch the MP aspect except for some small group fun, since there is now way to admin servers, nor any type of password protection (as well as I'm not too keen on portforwarding and there's no hosting available) but I want to get a rough overview what you guys would think about a server, be it Cohhilition only or the aforementioned RP Server.
lowco2525

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Awesome Domin0e! Will definitely play with you guys :)
New! Check out the Cohhilition twitter! https://twitter.com/Cohhilition
Domin0e_

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Updated the OP with Information on our starting world, since some people seem to strand elsewhere.. :/
Domin0e_

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:13 pm

New Day, new Update:

Hyperialist and I found out some actions cause to start Memory Leaks. We haven't been able to pinpoint too many, but having a 4 story farm as long as ours is at the moment is not the best idea. Also, APEX SETTLEMENTS still cause Frame Drops. Serverwide.
I'd love to see more faces online after the holidays, bring all the characters you want, party up, have fun together! :)
Also, being on the server helps us to push it to it's limit, discover Memory Leaks and make the game better by being able to provide feedback related to Multiplayer and Server Stuff!
Domin0e_

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Just a quick info for all interested souls out there: I can tell you, there WILL be Server Restarts every now and then since we still have A TON of things that cause memory leaks.. You will not lose any progress if that happens, safe for any distance travelled on a planet since you will spawn on your ship when logging back on again. :)
Domin0e_

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Final Character Wipe incoming Early 2014: https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/statu ... 7950390272

After that, at least Chars and ships should be without any major rollbacks!
Domin0e_

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 pm

Seems like the server rioted. Just put it back up again! Sorry for my slow reaction, guys! ;(
poetricks777

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:04 pm

I don't have enough fuel to go there :(

edit:
now I have
forstorare

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Hey dominoe, thanks for setting up the server, me and my friend have been enjoying starbound in it for a while now :)
This is our current base, I hope it's not the reason it causes issues for the server :D , although there is an insane framerate drop when entering it lol.
http://i.imgur.com/YEZnwym.jpg
poetricks777

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:14 pm

forstorare wrote:Hey dominoe, thanks for setting up the server, me and my friend have been enjoying starbound in it for a while now :)
This is our current base, I hope it's not the reason it causes issues for the server :D , although there is an insane framerate drop when entering it lol.
http://i.imgur.com/YEZnwym.jpg
Is that in the same planet or some other planet?
Domin0e_

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 am

Hey forstorare, you're welcome! After all, it's a server for the whole lot of us to play on!
Although I cannot say for sure your base doesn't open up memory leaks, I gotta say that there are more than enough subtle, tiny things causing Memory leaks as well. It's a beta after all and the game is by no means near being optimized yet.
And Poetricks, it's on a different planet. :)
Domin0e_

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 am

News time!
Sadly, I haven't found the time to play much over the last weeks, but I've monitored the usage of the server.
While there wasn't much action going on over the last days, I have paid the server for another month, since the new patch is likely to hit this weekend. I have, however, lowered the available slots since we were not even close to 40. The server now has 30 Slots - Which still is way more than we're most likly going to need, but who knows what could happen and it's not as costly on my end.
queenofsporks

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:56 am

Yeah i will be playing more after the patch.
Domin0e_

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:58 am

Multiplay is currently distributing the new update across their their servers, we are not yet on Furious Koala, sadly.
Also, even though it's unlikely we'll have that many cases with like 5 active players, if at all: FORCED PVP IN X SECTOR! <3
forstorare

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Cool, finally I can play Starbound again :D
Let us know when the server has been updated, cheers!