Concept Albums

Posts about media, music and video
MavenOfMisfortune

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:28 pm

In case you don't know what the title is referring to, a concept album is an album where all the songs together tell a story or address a common idea. Two of the most well known, for instance, are Tommy by The Who and The Wall by Pink Floyd. Recently, I've been rediscovering concept albums by a number of artists, and I was curious what concept albums other people were particularly moved or impressed by.

The concept album that inspired this topic was The Human Equation by Ayreon. The album tells the story of a comatose man who, in his own mind, begins manifesting fragments of himself as independent voices. Trapped in his own body, he has to confront his emotions while trying to figure out what happened and how to escape.

The below song is Day 2, the song which begins to introduce the voices in his mind.

[MEDIA=youtube]a48JEjOpd7Q[/MEDIA]

What about you guys?
ThomasJeffy

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:17 pm

A favourite of mine from last year, Lament by Eisturzende Neubauten.
Created for the Centenary of the first World war, A very powerful thing to listen too.
this Article will explain it better than I can ... http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/d ... -world-war

Sorry about the live version, but Youtube seems to have removed the album versions.
[MEDIA=youtube]iC7CWIxT7Rk[/MEDIA]
ticktock1231

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 pm

This topic is exactly why I sub to the website! I love learning new things like different music. Both of the songs you guys posted were chilling! I wish I had anything to add. The only thing that is close is individual story songs from Harry Chapin (one of my favorite musicians).
LordFaQ

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 am

Rush: 2112
Queensryche: Operation: Mindcrime (1 & 2)
That is not dead which can eternal lie; Yet with strange aeons even death may die - H.P. Lovecraft