Game Suggestions for Cohh's Pokemon Streams Needed!

Any new features, updates and important stuff will be posted here.
Macawo

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:21 pm

For the whole Pokemon experience I'd be in favor of the good old GBA games, although to capture the grafics focused audience, go with the remakes. Unfortunately Gen1 never got a remake for NDS or newer consoles but LeafGreen and FireRed on GBA would be the perfect starts in my opinion. They are the most straighforward with the least confusing amount of Pokemon and every fan of the genre has a soft spot in his heart for good ol' Kanto.

The second game in my mind would be either a remake of the gold/silver versions, HeartGold and SoulSilver or a jump straight to Hoenn with a game of the remade Ruby/Sapphire games Alpha Ruby or Omega Sapphire.

Although I'd like seeing him play newer games mechanical wise, I could see how the rather weird and new Pokemon could be less appealing to a new player than the ones you used to see when you were younger, saw on TV back in the day or somewhere on the webz. Everything after Gen 3 is whacky.

On the note of which game to play exactly, I'd make it a vote for the game set/generation he is going to play and then Cohh decides which version he prefers look wise from the outside of the game or rather with the help of the box art. I always loved the process of choosing one of each generation. It's kinda special in that regard
AlphaShadow192

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Macawo wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:21 pm
For the whole Pokemon experience I'd be in favor of the good old GBA games, although to capture the grafics focused audience, go with the remakes. Unfortunately Gen1 never got a remake for NDS or newer consoles but LeafGreen and FireRed on GBA would be the perfect starts in my opinion. They are the most straighforward with the least confusing amount of Pokemon and every fan of the genre has a soft spot in his heart for good ol' Kanto.

The second game in my mind would be either a remake of the gold/silver versions, HeartGold and SoulSilver or a jump straight to Hoenn with a game of the remade Ruby/Sapphire games Alpha Ruby or Omega Sapphire.

Although I'd like seeing him play newer games mechanical wise, I could see how the rather weird and new Pokemon could be less appealing to a new player than the ones you used to see when you were younger, saw on TV back in the day or somewhere on the webz. Everything after Gen 3 is whacky.

On the note of which game to play exactly, I'd make it a vote for the game set/generation he is going to play and then Cohh decides which version he prefers look wise from the outside of the game or rather with the help of the box art. I always loved the process of choosing one of each generation. It's kinda special in that regard
I pretty much agree with all of this.

First should be FireRed/LeafGreen, if these are to old and cause Cohh trouble with the tech setup then SoulSilver/HeartGold because those are pretty much classic Pokemon games with their style.

Second AlphaSapphire/OmegaRuby having the more modern style of Pokemon games.
Blazey_Boy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm

red/blue/yellow to start i say.
coolmorning

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:03 pm

My 2 suggestions would be:

1. Pokemon Black/White 1 ( Nintendo DS) - Because I think it has really solid gameplay, e.g. the introduction of triple battles (or whatever they're called). It also has the, without a doubt, best villain organization and an overall pretty decent story, for a Pokemon game.

2. Pokemon Crystal (Gameboy color (although it has been ported to the Nintendo 3DS)) - Because it has pretty a interesting artstyle, which none of the other pokemon games have, which kinda makes me sad. In terms of pure gameplay and story, it doesn't hold a candle to Black/White, however it's still a great game.
haunteddreams_tv

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Pokemon x/y or sun/moon
Narnun

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm doing this double post just to warn about something.

I've seen quite a few fan game suggestions. I would like to remind that Fan Games are not officially sanction and Nintendo is aggressive towards copyright. This can potencially be a legal problem. I am not sure of the legality of it, but then again the vods are going to be claim by Nintendo anyway.
n30sh4d0w

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:00 am

nuuriell wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 am
Hi, everyone!

Since Cohh's GuardianCon charity stream went so well and the Pokemon game goals were met, we'd like to hear which games you think he should play. ^_^ Let us know in this thread. Please also note which platform/system.

nuu
There are so many good pokemon games, I would not know where Cohh should start. Since he's doing 2 hours it should be a pokemon game packed with action. Could we do this perhaps as a poll? Maybe a multichoice/grouped poll? I am not sure how well-received polls have been, but it might be an interesting idea in this case. Below a list of poll ideas is given some fact checking into all the Pokemon Games that exist.

Suggest Poll options (listed by games that share the same story in chronological order of release):
Pokemon RPG Series (Main Games):
  1. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow; Pokemon Fire Red/LeafX Green; Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (TBA)
  2. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal; Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
  3. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald; Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
  4. Pokemon Colosseum Series
  5. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon/Rescue Series
  6. Pokemon Ranger Series
  7. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
  8. Pokemon Black/White; Pokemon Black/White 2
  9. Pokemon X/Y
  10. Pokemon Sun/Moon; Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
  11. Detective Pikachu
Offical Pokemon Side Series (Additional Options) (*):
  • Pokemon Stadium, Battle, Quest (aka Pokken DX)
  • Pokemon Peripheral/Mini-Series Series (Pokemon Pikachu)
  • Pokemon Pikachu Series (aka Hey You Pikachu!)
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game Series (aka Pokemon TCG Online)
  • Pokemon Snap/Park Series
  • Pokemon Picross/Puzzle Series
  • Pokemon Pinball/Arcade/Puck Series
  • Pokemon Sega Pico Series
  • Pokemon PC & Educational Series
  • Pokemon Trozei Series
  • Pokemon Mobile Series (aka Pokemon Go!)
  • Pokemon Rumble and Wii Ware Series
  • Pokemon Pokedex Series
(*)P.S. I put RPG's together (like Colosseum/XD) because of several arguments by authorities below. The primary argument is that these RPG are heavily referenced and cited in the main games as they fill in many plot holes. For example, the Colosseum's region of Orro is theorized to be where dark type pokemon originated from and is the place Pokemon lore refers to as a distant land. The other games are sided stories that I grouped based on Playstyle or Platform. They are also then listed in chronological order.

Authorities cited:
Chuggaconroy
Marriland
TheJwittz

References:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki ... lease_date
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Core_series
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_games
n30sh4d0w

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:48 am

:cohhWaii: :cohhH: Best Overall: Pokemon Collisium (the Wii/Gamecube version). :cohhH: :cohhWaii:
By Fans of the series, its one of the darkest and adult pokemon games ever made. All the games of pokemon are great, but this one stands out because of how hard and edgy it was for its time. I would call it the Dark Souls of Pokemon :cohhLurk: ; but Pokemon is typically an easy game. Just image a game where everything you could think that might go wrong if pokemon were real, does go wrong and it happens in the first 5 minutes of the game. This does not pull any punches. Cohh might need the bonfire emote for this game.

:cohhCheer: :cohhFA: Best Core Series (Pocket Monsters Series): Pokemon Crystal and Emerald :cohhFA: :cohhCheer:

If CohhCarnage wants to play a traditional pokemon game I would recommend either Platinium or Emerald. Or you can play the remakes Omega Ruby or Heart Gold. Honestly, they are all really good, for a lot of the reasons LupusCardinal, xgoatlas, Dalaigh, Laslo24, Cryptic_Vulpix, TyroSpellwar, Y2A_Alkis have given already.

:cohhWaii: :cohhOld: Best Classic Game: Pokemon Yellow :cohhOld: :cohhWaii:
If we are going to the original games either Pokemon Green (never released in the US) or Pokemon Yellow. Pokemon Yellow was the final generation 1 RPG game. It was the perfect harmony between fanservice, :cohhWaii: , and quality gameplay. It fixes many of the bugs and makes transparent many of the secrets in the original game. It is even inspiring a new release for the next generation of games called Pokemon Let's Go: Pikachu/Eevee. If you need a copy, I would be willing to find and give up mine to send to you along with my silver Pikachu-themed gameboy.

:cohhM: :cohhN: Worst/Average Core Game: Pokemon Sun and Moon :cohhN: :cohhM:
If we were on a scale of -10 to 10, 0 would be a Pokemon Sun and Moon. While it retains a lot of the humor fleshed out in X/Y, the plot is kind of well :cohhDerp:. The gameplay is way too :cohhEZ:, so non-pokemon fans will probably get bored really quick. It holds your hand way too much. Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun really flesh-out plot, but then those are themselves a bit well.... how do I put this without spoiling things... Well basically, the main plot and what makes game loved is not revealed till you get into 20 or 24 hours in. The complexity of Sun and Moon is not engaging into like 8 to 10 hours in. Like Black and White 2, Sun and Moon was really an homage to old players rather than new players, it just had fan service with weird pokemon types.

:cohhEvil: :cohhGV: :cohhGG: Best Ironic Game: Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon Black/White :cohhGG: :cohhGV: :cohhEvil:
If we are on a scale of -10 to 10, these games are -11. These are games that are so bad that they are actually really really good. These games will have you in stitches like Sun and Moon. However, unlike sun and moon, there is both an actual challenge to them and a well-thought-out deep layered design to both the pokemon selection, moves, types, and even the gym leaders. The leader in both games is super evil paying homage to the original bad guy Geovani. Except people actually die in these games. :cohhKing: ... These are basically the equivalent of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 of Pokemon.
SeanAugust

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 am

Is he doing each for some # of hours like the other incentive games?

I would vote Blue and Moon, just so he can see where the series started and how far it has come.

Also, I'm sure there are plenty of streamers around that would be happy to lend him their 3DS with a capture card installed.
vonnutje

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

I think the best thing for cohh is to start witch an relative easy pokémon game, such as pokemon X/Y. This game doesn't have as much unnecessary story content in the beginning compared to sun/moon and ultra sun/ultra moon. It shows which moves are super effective when you fight a new mon for the first time, so a good learning expierence i think.

I would suggest one of the first four generations as the second game, because these are a bit harder than the later ones. They are a little bit more mature than the newer ones. Another good suggestion is the fan-made game pokémon reborn, which is made for the older fanbase. I think pokémon reborn will appeal the most to cohh in terms of story. :cohhCheer:
BurrCO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 am

I haven't played all of the newer games but IMO Cohh should be playing one of the more recent ones like X/Y, Sun/Moon, etc. They have mechanics that actually require thought as opposed to the old games (which I grew up with and love) where you just basically walk through each city. Would be great to see him also play something like Detective Pikachu just for fun.
gkjzhgffjh

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:35 am

I feel like starting with anything below leaf green/fire red is a bad idea since those games are very old and it shows.

I feel like cohh would enjoy the game more if it's a good game AND a good streaming experience which I'm not sure those older games would be.
HiFiPanda

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:32 am

I know it has no chance to win, but I guess it still should be at least an option, Pokemon Conquest. Far from any other Pokemon title with rather unique gameplay.
Ikubaris

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm

I would recommend Firered/Leafgreen and Emerald or rather Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire since its basically the same but new.

As long as its not one of the oldschool ones (Yellow/Red/Blue/Silver/Gold/Crystal). Main reason being that i think the game isnt really interface friendly and might put off Cohh.

But overall from Priority I'd say: Firered/Leafgreen - Emerald/ORAS - Platinum - Ultra Sun/Moon. :cohhGG:
kristfro

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Could be fun to have Cohh try both an old one and a newer one? Red/Yellow and Sun/Moon for instance.
SpardaWakashi

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Yellow and Sapphire
Crit_c

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Serotriptomine wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 am
My first thoughts are about the titles in general.

Main series titles would naturally all be included.
I would personally include Pokemon Snap as a 2nd game as its just great.

I would say no mobile app titles, no pinball series, no trading card series.
No Ranger, Rumble, or Mystery Dungeon Games.
No Pokemon PC titles.
No Console Pokemon games (Stadium, Colosseum, Revolution, Tournament, Quest)

The question is do we want to spread votes across all games or focus on the pairs?
Example.

Red & Blue & Yellow
Gold & Silver
Ruby & Sapphire
Diamond & Pearl
Black1`2 & White 1`2
X & Y
Sun & Moon.

This would effectively have the vote be based on Pokemon Generation.
After a generation is voted on, you could then split the vote again to community choose one or the other, or let Cohh choose which boxart looks more badass. :p

Or.
You could list them all by themselves

This isn't an official statement, just my personal opinion on what could be done in regards to option.

We'll also need more information about which games on what hardware and what version and how to do this for Cohh if anyone could help with that.
Missing the deluxe version for each gen, like Emerald, Platinum, etc.
l1onfist

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Pokemon Crystal Version, Nintendo DS
Sha1yen

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 am

First time gotta be the originals.

I'd say go with Fire Red and/or Leaf Green :cohhEZ:
Ankashamana

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

So I would recommend picking a couple of generations and voting on games for them. I will go into more detail about each generation, but I think that one of the new generations should be played as this will be the first game in the series that Cohh plays. The newer generations are a lot more playable then the older ones and I'm a fan of the looks of the 3DS games. Also the older generations have mechanics missing that have changed the games and become a staple so will be missing out on the current pokemon experience if you start with older generations.

Gen 1
Games: Red/Blue/Yellow
Console: 3DS (was re-released on 3DS)
As a game to get you into the series I would recommend avoiding gen 1. The reason for this is that there are a lot of strange mechanics in gen one as well as it missing every single improvement that has been made in the generations after it. I'm not saying never play it, but play it once you are a fan and not as your first pokemon game if you have a choice.

Gen 2
Games: Gold/Silver/Crystal
Console: 3DS Virtual Console
Gen 2 is very similar to gen 1 and you highly recommend playing it over gen one as it includes all of the gen 1 areas as post game, however I would still say play a newer generation. While gen 2 did good things with adding both dark and steel types to the game, splitting the special stat into special and special defence and adding genders and pokmeon breeding; it is still missing some important mechanics.

Gen 3
Games: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/leaf Green/Fire Red
Console: Gameboy Advance
The biggest additions from gen 3 were abilities and running shoes. Abilities were one of the best additions to the game as the help make the pokemon feel more unique when there are more than 800 now as well as helping define the role that pokemon will play in your team. Running shoes were a nice addition as they help with movement until you get a bike as there is a lot of walking in these games. However there are still some improvements from other gens that I think are needed and it will be difficult to stream a gameboy advance game maybe.

Gen 4
Games: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heart Gold/ Soul Silver
Console: DS
Gen 4 made the best change out of all the generations that is the physical/special split. In pokemon the attacks are either physical or special physical attacks hit against defence and special attacks hit against special defence. Before gen 4 what determined if an attack was physical or special was the type of the attack. For example all fire attacks were special and all ghost attacks were physical. This lead to some pokemon performing strangely as they wouldn't be able to make use of STAB attacks. Gengar was a ghost poison pokemon with its special attack twice as good as its attack stat. Along with its speed it would have been a good special sweeper, however both of its STAB typings and therefore most moves it had access to were physical so it was not that good. In gen 4 and onward the way it works is different and is done on an attack by attack basis. For example fire fang was then considered a physical fire move and flamethrower stayed as a fire special move. This allowed for all types to have a mix of physical and special attacks within that type so you can have better fitting moves on all pokemon. It's hard to state exactly how much this effected the games but basically games before gen 4 are completely different to gen 4 and onward. As a note for what game to play form this gen I would recommend Heart Gold / Soul Silver as they are very good remakes of gold and silver using gen 4 mechanics and the flow of those games is just a lot better that of diamond and pearl as they fell quite slow.

Gen 5
Games: Black/White/Black 2/White 2
Console: DS
Mechanics wise gen 5 only really changed one thing that I can remember and it was to make TMs reusable. TMs are used to teach pokemon moves that they do not learn through level up and for competitive sets it would be common to use a TM to learn moves. The issue with this before gen 5 was that they were one use which meant that you need to find ways to get more ( mainly replaying the game or hacking in more copies ) as sometimes you would want to use the same TM on multiple pokemon. Making them reusable was a nice quality of life change that allows for more experimentation with moves as you play through the game and would recommend playing a game from gen 5 onward for this change. In terms of the games I found the story of black and white to be quite good for pokemon and had some interesting characters like N, but I didn't enjoy that they tried a little reboot with this gen in they way that until you beat the story the only pokemon that you can catch are the 150 new to this gen. After the variety of the last few gens this just felt a bit strange to me and some of the felt almost like alt versions of pre-existing pokmeon. Not to say the pokemon from this gen were bad, but while playing through the game I did want to see some of the older ones. They fixed this with black 2 and white 2 as while going through the story of black 2 and white 2 you could encounter the pokemon from earlier gens and this made the games more enjoyable. However the story is a continuation from black and white 2 years later while it is easy enough to follow the story without playing black and white it's something to be aware of going into the games.

Gen 6
Games: X/Y/Alpha Sapphire/ Omega Ruby
Console: 3DS
Gen 6 marked to move to the 3DS and allowed for the graphics to be redone so instead of a 2D/2.5D game with sprites in combat it is a 3D world with models for each Pokemon in combat. I personally think the game looks better this way and it is cool to see your pokemon in combat. Gen 6 added a new mechanic called mega evolution which is an in combat evolution that reverts back once combat finishes. Only a select amount of pokemon can mega evolve in the game with more added in alpha sapphire and omega ruby than in X and Y. Mega evolution gives a Pokemon stat boosts and most of the time changes the ability. The effect of this is to make some pokemon more viable in the mega form or in some cases just make powerful Pokemon even stronger. This is balanced around the fact that only one mega evolution is able to be used each battle and it also takes up the item slot of the pokemon to hold the stone. X and Y was a game designed to bring in new players with the change of console and to try and bring older players back to the game. Gen 6 the remade the gen 3 games which were fan favourites with alpha sapphire and omega ruby to try and bring more players back to the games. I think that this generation would be the best entry point for Cohh as a new player as by this point the mechanics are much more polished and the new player experience is good and there are things for the viewers if they have played older generations. Also I think that if Cohh is looking for a proper Pokemon experience then he should play this over gen 7 as gen 6 still has gym fights that were a core part of all previous pokemon games.

Gen 7
Games: Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/ Ultra Moon
Console: 3DS
Gen 7 is the latest generation of pokemon games with USUMO being the newest games. The main feature for this gen was the alolan forms for some gen 1 pokemon. While Cohh might not no the difference chat would and some of the alolan forms changed the types and move sets of pokemon which lead to interesting changes. There were some other quality of life changes to the game like the game tracking stat buffs/debuffs for you and the removal of the need for HMs. HMs are moves that can be taught to Pokemon that will help with traversing the world and are generally how your progression through the world is locked. The issue is that they take up one of the 4 slots available for moves and can't be unlearnt while some of the moves or not good to have. SUMO had other ways of doing this than through the use of HMs. The biggest issues I would say with starting with gen 7 would be that the start of the game felt very slow to me, but that might be due to not need all the information from the tutorials, and that instead of gyms to collect badges in this game you do trials. While the trials are not bad and I actually prefer them as a system to gyms as the totem Pokemon were a challenge I think as a first pokemon experience one of the games with gyms should be played.

My Suggestions
I would strongly recommend not playing any of the games before gen 4 due to how much the mechanics changed and how much better it made the games to play. If a gen 4 game is going to be chosen I'd go with Heart Gold/Soul Silver. From the other gens I'd recommend 6>7>5>4 and I would say it doesn't matter too much which game is played in each gen other than 4.