Best FF to start on!

Cohhilition information for our arm in Final Fantasy XIV!
themrbacon1

Thu May 22, 2014 8:59 am

So as someone how never played any FF (I know shame on me), which is the best one to start on? I thought here I might find the best answer for that :)
I come into the stream and.....
Mesadyne

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:47 pm

I started with FF7 on PSone, so i can recommend that or FFX.

Both are massive Games with a fascianting Story and so much more sidequest.
Smittlez

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:00 pm

I personally started with FFX however FFVII and FFXII are both very good as well, honestly from what I understand the only one to really avoid is FFII though I personally though FFXIII was trash.
XlOz

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:16 am

Started with FFVII but i recorment FFVI, FFIX, FFX, and FFVII. its up for you to decide :) all of them are awesome. and newcomer to the FF world Friendly :)
ItsNaku

Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:54 am

my first final fantasy was the first final fantasy, i think the older the game you start on the better, but i recommend starting on IV and working your way up. (VI is my personal favorite)
AzraelleSoleil

Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:32 pm

To be honest, it depends a little on what you like about games and what you want out of the game. FFVII was the first one I played, and I think it was the first one that was really big in the states. A few of them didn't come to the states until later as part of anthologies or remakes. A lot of people hate on the even numbered ones, other people love them. Like, I despised FFVIII, but I know people who thought it was amazing.
If you want a pure fantasy game vs. something more steampunky with gun-blades and the like, you're going to want to go further back, but with the understanding that you're obviously sacrificing graphics, if that's important to you.
Everything before XII gave you the ability to control all your party members. Starting with 12, you can program other party members to some extent, but during active fighting you only control the party leader. FFX-2 was affectionately known as FF-dress-up and was very odd to play, in my opinion.
FFXI and FFXIV are online only and while I recommend FFXIV, I can't recommend FFXI at this point. I feel like it's time has past in terms of new players. Again, my personal feeling.
pcmn1331

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 pm

I have always liked FF IV or VI to start with for new people, both have great stories, characters, and you can get them on almost any platform now. VII is a great game, but I would play it 3rd after the other two. VIII is ok but not the one people like most as the story can be confusing. IX is a throwback to the older fantasy days but personally I have trouble getting into it for some reason. X has a good story but the voice acting can be a bit off-putting for some people (I've never played X-2 so I can't comment on it). XII is just awful in my personal opinion as the fighting system is a mess as they tried to make it MMORPG based and it just doesn't work well (at least not as far as I got into it before giving up). I have yet to play XIII so I can't comment on that one either.