DnD Next

A place for rules, characters and materials related to Dungeons & Dragons.
Kunguru

Wed May 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Anyone looking at DnD Next. I decided to move from 4 to Pathfinder and start up a game. However, I've been lazy and haven't put anything together. Now of course we are getting close to DnD Next release and I'm wondering if I should wait even more.
Shivor

Thu May 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Why would you wait? If you like Pathfinder just start your game and go with it. If you guys feel that DnD Next is better when it comes out you can either switch to that and keep the story just redo the characters a bit or just start a new campaign...
Getting a group together and staying together while playing regularly is the hardest part the fact that it's DnD Next or Pathfinder or 3.5 or 4 doesn't matter that much, of Pathfinder and 3.5 are soo similar that you can easily switch from one to the other, harder to switch from 3.5/Pathfinder to 4 and I would assume next will be more like 4 than 3.5.
Kunguru

Thu May 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Next is more like 3.5, but modular for amount of complexity.
incifan

Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 am

I'd suggest you play 3.5. There is no reason to use Pathfinder (unless you want to play in their live campaigns - if that still runs).

Next indeed does look more like 3.5, but with the status of their "beta" i am more than sceptical you'll have a solid system to go from the start. It currently still has alot of issues. It's not revolutionizing the genre, so there is no rush to play with that ruleset.

In the end you'll have to find the system that works best within your group. For my group that is a houseruled 3.5 at the moment - for fantasy anyway.
bakutaku

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Pathfinder does indeed still have society play. Also just look on roll20 there are always groups looking for members for just about everything