Thoughts on laptops

sneaky_hobbitses

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:39 pm

Hey guys! So I got a new job and I need to get a laptop for myself and the freelance stuff I do... I need a laptop for on-the-go video editing, AE, and (of course) some gaming.... so a desktop, unfortunately, isn't really feasible. I'm prepared to spend up to ~2.5k if I need to, but would love to keep it closer to 2k.

I've had Alienware & Dell XPS in the past and they were alright (ok quality, but Dell fixed the problems quickly). My current rig at work is an Origin 15 Pro. The Origin is a monster *when it works*, but it is very big/heavy, the trackpad is awful (unusable is a better word), and their customer service is literally the 2nd worst that I've ever experienced (only outdone by Comcast). To be fair, they seem like a nice group of people, just very unprofessional and have a complete "meh" attitude for a premium price. So they're not in the picture...

this is a wish list of what would be nice to have.. some compromises are acceptable :
  • * NEED * Good customer support (Lets face it... that's a lot of heat in a very small space.. its gonna break)
  • * NEED * Good build quality (It will be in a backpack all the time and I will be traveling quite a bit)
  • * Would Love * A good trackpad
  • Smallish form factor for travel (< 1 inch thick, < 6lbs) (would love the power brick to not be enormous)
  • 14 or 15 in. display (13 if its REALLY good), matte FHD *I don't do any 4k editing so I don't need more*, no GSYNC *to save on battery, and good color gamut (>= 75% RGB color gamut)
  • 10 series GPU and I7 seem pretty standard on these builds
I've done a lot of research and looked at all the reviews I could find, but this community is awesome so I would love to hear from you guys. Have y'all had any experience with MSI, Aorus x5 r6, Alienware 15 r3, Razer Blade 1060 (1080p) **from the MS store. Not from Razer**. I don't think I can handle the orange of the ASUS ROG or it would be in the list as well...

Any others? Thoughts?

Thanks and I appreciate it!! Have a great day!!
H3ll0J3ll0

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:41 pm

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productd ... 1MIn1dfV19

I dont know if this saved the right config, it's an alienware 13 with i7 6700HQ,512gb pcie boot ssd,16gig 2400mhz and finally the cherry on top; a qhd oled display. it has really good blacks and cover 206% of the srgb colourspace acording to http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/alienware-13. However it might need some calibrating if you are superserious.Its also a bit thicker than you asked for but personaly i think the extrea cooling ie peformance is worth it
sneaky_hobbitses

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 am

[QUOTE="h3ll0j3ll0, post: 39692, member: 11587"]http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productd ... 1MIn1dfV19

I dont know if this saved the right config, it's an alienware 13 with i7 6700HQ,512gb pcie boot ssd,16gig 2400mhz and finally the cherry on top; a qhd oled display. it has really good blacks and cover 206% of the srgb colourspace acording to http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/alienware-13. However it might need some calibrating if you are superserious.Its also a bit thicker than you asked for but personaly i think the extrea cooling ie peformance is worth it[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! I really appreciate it!! I considered the 13, but I don't have any experience editing on a screen that small. I've used a Surface Pro before for normal business stuff, but never editing and things. Also, do you have any experience with the QHD screen on gaming? I read where many people preferred the FHD instead of the QHD.. especially on a laptop screen. (so many pixels on such a small screen).

Overall it looks like a great little computer!! Thanks again!
H3ll0J3ll0

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:04 pm

My main monitor is a 27" qhd display and i love it and i think that the resolution is a great middleground, it doesnt suffer from bad scaling in windows like 4k do but it looks a bit sharper than 1080p. However on small screens(<15") i dont think a resolution over 1080 is needed and many agree with me, higher pixelcount both makes games harder to drive and batterylife lower. But the resolution wasnt why i picked the screen it was because of the oled and on the positive side qhd give you a bit more screenrealestate to work with. To summarize: 1440p might seem lika a bit much but its not unreasonable, its far from as bad as 4k.

However the 13" inch formfactor might be a problem, personally i cant do anything productive on anything <24" so i dont think im the right person to ask however there is plenty of people editing on a 13" macbook and since you are used to a 15" i dont think the jump will be that bad