New pc build help

swinkeh

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:54 am

Im looking to spend roughly £1k - £1.5k the closer to the 1k mark the better, Ill be using it for gaming but also video editing and design work.

I have monitors, mouse, keyboard also some extra storage - a ssd and another terabyte sitting with me so memory is not a priority straight away.

This is what I've got so far, I just want to run it by people a lot smarter than I, who could most likely improve my choices :)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kygdd6

after playing some more I now have this

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MBVqPs

also going for a black and white theme.
Aule10

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:03 am

auch, that is a hard one. Mostly because editing and design work, and gaming need 2 different things. For gaming the CPU is not a high priority, but the graphic card is, on the other hand, editing and rendering, you need a good CPU but not that needed with a good graphic card. I am running 2 different rigs for my image editing, and my gaming. I dont know your computer you have now, but unless it is hopelessly aged, you should upgrade it for more modern gaming, and then build a rig for your work on the side.

What you need for a work pc. Lots of ram, and a big CPU, i am using Xeon E5-2687, 30 MB cache and 12 cores 24 threads and 3 GHz, but it would also break your budget with almost the double :D But i would go xeon if you want a work pc. Just know that they are not meant for gaming. Dont think about the graphic card, unless you want to go 4k then you have to.

It is hard to say what you need to do to upgrade your pc because we dont know the spec. And it is also hard to say what you should put into a new computer, because we dont know how good or bad the old one is. Often you dont need a new CPU or ram, in most cases you can get away with just upgrading the graphic card. Gaming is not that demanding of your CPU or your Ram.
swinkeh

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:34 am

thanks for the info!

right now I dont have a pc the mobo and psu kinda went pop on me -.- but it was a pretty old rig 5ish years old.
i5 2500k
8gb ddr3
mobo cannot remember
gpu nvidia 660 ti

As of right now the editing/ design stuff is more a hobby and starting to become more but its not a major priority I just want it to run smoothly when I do it, so this is more of a gaming rig. I know I could drop the i7 to an i5 for gaming but ill still be editing on it and more and more games these days seem to be a little bit more CPU intensive so the extra won't hurt i'm sure :3.
Aule10

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:35 am

Ok i Understand why you want a new one :D It is hard to keep inside a pricerange, i live in a country where the prices are a bit higher than other country's because of taxes. You can try build an all around pc. I am thinking GTX 1070, I7 6700k, or i5 6500, Samsung evo 850 SSD, or kingston uv400, 2800 or 2133 Mhz DDR4 ram, if you want editing i would not go lover than 32 GB and then take the 2133 Mhz options, but that is kinda expensive. Problem is when you look at a powerfull CPU the prices is skyrocketing damn fast. You dont want to go on compromise with quality. And for the love of god, dont try save money on the PSU, Always take one that is 100-200 W higher than the expectet usage, always take gold. The motherboard you can tinker around and look at what you want, I cant recommend Asus, I always seems to get into problem with their motherboards, MSI or gigabyte, is normally my goto, I like the krait motherboard from MSI, it does what it is supposed to. And CPU cooling, is all up to you, just dont use the standard from intel.

It is hard to build a rig for others, because we all have different needs. I think that this rig you can hold it at around 1.500£ But as I said the prices is a bit higher where i live, where that rig would cost me around 1.700£
Aule10

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:44 am

I used your own link to make the changes i would do: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZGpgr7

I would not go lover than 850W PSU on that rig i gave you.
swinkeh

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:26 pm

thanks a bunch you've been a big help :3

I knew sticking around the £1k mark was a big ask, ill just have to keep an eye out and hope to get lucky on some deals :D

thanks again.
Aule10

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:36 pm

No problem m8. It isnt because your own build wouldnt work, It can go a long mile, though i dont like you only gave it 500w PSU :D Best of luck to you. I hope you have a better one, than my Gaming PC, i chose a bad time for building it. a year before DDDR 4 came out. I regret it. Well i took revenge when i made my work pc, but that was also more easy because i didnt pay for it, my workplace did :D
swinkeh

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:07 pm

It'll be just my luck that the next big thing comes out right as I build this, it is always the way -.-
Aule10

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Haha I am the same :D If you can wait, wait til around may or june, but some times it is hard to wait that long :D