Dual video card question

TheSilverGinge

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 am

Hey all!

I am currently in the market for a new video card and was playing with the idea of putting two in my system.
My motherboard and Video Card currently are as such:

Motherboard: MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150 Intel
Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX

My question is would be beneficial to put a second STRIX in my system to have a dual video card setup? Would is the benefit of having two video cards in a gaming PC? Or would it be better if I just got myself a new Graphics Card to replace the current one and use that in another rig? I was looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition for $519.99 -OR- a ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX VR Ready card for $399

In comparison, another STRIX card to match my current one (assuming I need the identical card) would be ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX for $474
(All these prices are on Newegg.ca)

Thoughts on my best move? I could probably use a new card in my streaming PC if I go the route of a new card altogether (Like the newer VR Ready STRIX)

Thanks folks!
<3 DunfiusFett
AvanCade

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:28 pm

I've asked that question myself as well as I had the opportunity to use 2x 980Ti's. From my experience not a lot of games do actually use it. So it really depends on the games that you play and if they support it. In the end I chose to drop the second card and sell it and unless SLi goes mainstream (which it still isn't in my opinion) I will not be picking up a second card anytime soon.

My suggestion to you would be:
Upgrade to a newer card and sell your current one. SLi is really not worth it.