First Time PC Builder

BadCompany313

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:09 am

Hello members of the Cohhilition, I am a first time PC builder and I was wondering if any of you fine folk would be willing to help me out. I am currently a console player exclusively, so I'm not really sure about PC workings such as what resolution to play in, etc. Thanks in advance!
My budget is: 2-3k USD (flexible)
I live in: South Carolina
Operating System: Need
Monitor: Ideally Three, One for gaming and the other two for monitoring chat and social media. Price would be included in budget. As far as size whatever is optimal for PC gaming.
Gaming resolution: single monitor, not sure on resolution.
Peripherals: microphone speakers and camera.
Overclocking: Don't know enough about this to answer.
Plans: Stream gameplay and video editting.
Again thank you for any help you can provide.
BWCsemaJ

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:40 pm

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8wn3sJ

Kind of had fun with the build (generally if someone tells me a rough price I tend to go on the higher end of things (I do know I'm over the 3k but there's tons of ways getting the build down I thought *** it)). There's a lot more I need to know to make a more accurate build (for instance how important is future proofing to you, does color coordinating components matter, what size monitors are you looking for (a ton of questions with monitors...), how important is video editing/streaming (like are you trying to do it full time, looking for highest quality, or are you doing it for fun), how much storage do you need, how much storage space do you need, do you need an optical drive (how are you planning on installing the OS (USB or by disc)... I could keep going.

My thought process was try to get as close to the top but keep things fairly priced per se.

Processor: More cores the better for your situation due to you wanting to stream and video edit (as well will help with multi tasking; you'll have a game up, chrome tabs opened, maybe couple various software running like obs and some sort of donation program). However, if we want to save we can go down to Kaby Lake and go with a non Z 270 board (sounds like you most likely won't be overclocking). Thus save on processor and motherboard. On side note if you are really serious about streaming might want to look into a two computer setup one for playing games and the other to handle the stream and such.

CPU cooler: Went closed loop water cooling. I personally prefer the traditional cooler and fan. However, I do know that water cooler generally gives better performance. We can absolutely save on the CPU cooler.

Motherboard: Went towards the cheaper end. An issue you might have with older X99 boards is their bios might not be compatible for Broadwell E processors (however, ordering from major companies like Amazon most likely the boards will have the newer version bios but not every time). If you went 270 route and go with Kaby Lake won't have compatibility issues, however, gonna only have 4 cores instead of the 6, which might be just fine for you. (I again was more trying to get as close to crazy but some what in line as I could.) There's also a lot to consider when choosing a board but I had to assume things.

RAM: For your situation more the better. Went with 2x8GB clocked pretty good at a decent price. Could go with a cheap DDR4 stick at lower speeds and probably won't notice that much of a difference (obvious don't want to go too low then might affect performance to a certain degree). Really only need 8GB for gaming but for video editing, streaming, and basically heavy multi tasking the more the better.

Storage: For 2-3k build highly recommend an SSD for the OS and main programs and HDD for like games, pictures, movies, music... Got quite a bit options in this realm I kind of just went basic (not all HDDS are the same; same goes with SSDs).

Video card: I recommend... for 1080p gaming GTX 1070 and if you want 1440p gaming go for GTX 1080. Getting a GTX 1080 for 1080p is just overkill and getting a GTX 1070 with 1440p won't be powerful enough imo (depends on what games you play). One thing you might find yourself doing is playing at a certain resolution while streaming in another (for example might play in 1440p but stream in 720p).

PSU: Never cheap out on the PSU. PSU failure can take other PC components out with it. I personally have had really fantastic luck with EVGA. I am quite bias in this component (almost every higher end PSU EVGA makes is top notch imo). If you ever have questions about how good a PSU is look up a guy called Johnnyguru and visit his site (or search the PSU name and also include Johnnyguru in the search).

OS: Didn't give me anything to go off of so went with the home version.

Monitors: The Dell monitor I chose is probably one of the best monitors for the price out there at the moment. 165hz, gsync, 1ms 1440p... for 400$ imo is a steal. The two Asus monitors are pretty basic, could go with another brand and get cheaper side monitors. One thing I would think about is the size of the monitors. The ones I currently have chosen would get you a 21in 23.8in and 21in setup. Some people prefer them to all be the same size, same resolution, and same one (due to some monitors having didn't colors/basically a different look per se). There's a lot to think about when choosing monitors and just knowing you want 3 isn't good enough to give you a solid answer.

Add ons: Mic went with highly recommended starter condenser mic, same with the audio interface, headphones is a bit on the higher end of things (imo its great for the price/quality) and I paired that with a good starter amp/dac combo, boom stand super cheap prob could get another one and I noticed it didn't have the right fitting so I found fittings that I'm 99% sure will work.

When buying a build the more opinions you get the better you are off. For instance I might have said something that could be wrong and lead you down a bad path, or someone might disagree like for instance spending 400$ for 6800 because x and so is better. If no one else chimes in I would recommend making a post on sub reddit of /r/buildapc. Start using pcpartpicker.com and making your own builds. When you are gonna throw 2-3k the more research you do the better you are off. Might seem daunting but just slowly grind it out (go part by part) until you are satisfied with your build. Don't buy a custom build from a website. Buy on sale (should not buy over a period of months; if you are buying parts go no longer than 2-3 weeks because lets say you buy a part, its bad, couple months go by and you finally build your computer, well that one part you bought months ago doesn't work and now you are out some money.

Hope this helps. Most likely I probably won't respond back again due to not viewing this forum too often (I generally use reddit). Cheers man.