Upgrading for the First time. WELP

LupusCardinal

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 am

Hi there

My gaming computer has gone unchanged for 3 years, and after downloading the For honor beta I'm stuck at low graphic settings.
I know this is due to the graphic card, and I'm planning to get a new one, but I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should change as well? For instance, would my current motherboard be able to handle a higher spec graphics card? (I'm also just hoping the new graphics card fits in the case btw).
Current build below, any input greatly appreciated!

Components
Case: Zalman Z3 *Free Upgrade to Zalman Z3 Plus Black*

Power Supply: Corsair CX500 500W
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4Ghz
Processor Cooler: Xigmatek Loki II
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz/PC12800
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB *Nvidia Free 2 Play Promotion*
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive 7200rpm 32MB Cache
Bloodyfloor4

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:15 am

Your Motherboard has a (single)PCI-e 3.0 x16 so any new graphic card(and old) is supported.

If your Budget allows it:
8GB of DDR3 RAM is getting outdated(as in performace), but this is mainly if you use multiple screens and/or have thing running in the background.
SSD is a serious upgrade to any kind of system.

The PSU used in your system is not the most stable(and past the warranty):
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id- ... -list.html
If a PSU fails it takes an entire system with it(new ones included), so perhaps take a look at getting a better PSU before putting new stuff in your PC.
LupusCardinal

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks for the reply! I was looking at the GTX 1060 and it helps to know it'll work.

I think I'll stick with the RAM for now, since I only do one thing at the time and try not to push the PC too hard.

What improvements does SSD make on a system?
Is there a particular CPU you'd recommend? Budget for it is probably between 70 to 100 pounds at :|

Thank you!
Bloodyfloor4

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:40 am

An SSD mainly increases the speed at which programs open. For instance windows can startup quicker if it is installed on a SSD, you can start using your pc almost instantly. If you want your games to start quicker you can install your games on the SSD. Overall it makes the PC feel a bit more responsive.

The CPU(Processor) is great, i assume you are talking about the PSU(Power Supply)?
Some options(dont know the prices in your country):
1.Cooler Master V Series V550
2.EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2
3.Corsair RM550x
These are all great replacements, they propably will last a good 8-10 years(even warranty goes that long)
LupusCardinal

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:46 am

That's exactly what I meant. Sorry, still kinda new to the whole PC build thing.
Thank you for the tips :D I'll be sure to look them up !!