Graphics Crashing Bug with GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X

leviathansol

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:37 am

I got a pre-built computer from Amazon, the HP 870-090 OMEN, that came with a NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. It was a new PC, not a refurbished. I have been able to enjoy it a lot in the week I have had it but the last few days there has been a problem that seems to pop up. While playing FFXIV, with Twitch in the background, and Reddit! :D I found that when I would tab out of the game, at the time it was in Fullscreen, that it suddenly made my whole screen pixelate. There were multiple squares with the RBG colors in those squares. The first time this happen HP self booted its bug report and immediately reset my computer. After that it worked fine, the yesterday morning it happened to me once again, me tabbing out of FFXIV (Fullscreen), but instead of the whole system rebooting the game crashed and the issue went away. I was able to immediately boot FFXIV without the problem happening again. My drivers are up to date.

My question is there any known issues of this happening? Is it a problem with me having the game in full screen and tabbing out? Or is there something wrong with the graphics card / driver? If it happens again is there something I should do, like screen shot/take a picture, to be more helpful?
leviathansol

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:09 am

Update: 8/6/2017

So I just tabbed out of FFXIV and it happened again. This time I was in Boarder less Windows. Once the game crashed it went back to its normal self. However immediately after the crash, while on my web browser, it flickered and went to the pixelation again and then back to normal running.
Saltymuffingaming

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

First thing i would do myself, is to download the drivers and do a clean install. Then do some more troubleshooting, like does it do the same thing with other games? If it does it with every game, you might have issues with the GPU itself. However it honestly sounds like a driver issue to me.
leviathansol

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:30 am

Well I changed the game to Windows Boarder less and unlocked options that fixed fps when i was tabbed and idel and I have not had any issues since, but there has also been a game update since too. I will wait to see if it happens again. Thanks!