PC Shutdown/ Restart Problem

CurtisBread

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 am

Ok this will be hard to explain but I will do my best, the first part is my PC will randomly turn off without me doing anything, sometimes it happens every minute sometimes it wont happen for days its just random. And the second thing that happens is my PC will go to a black screen with the keyboard and mouse still on, then I have to wait until the keyboard and mouse turn off (can take from 1 second to 30 seconds) and I press a button on the mouse and keyboard and they will turn on again then when they turn off I have to press the power button on my PC and it will take a few seconds then return to the page I was previously on before it happened. Now this is a very annoying issue especially when I'm playing games so if anyone has any idea of how to fix this problem please let me know?
RGTimmermann

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 am

my initial thought is your power supply. it might not be sufficient enough. But in the case that it is not that, and your psu has plenty of headroom.. hmm.. have you messed around with your ram timings?
LancelotTheLion

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 am

My thoughts:
High temps. Monitor to verify.
Reset CMOS.
Change CMOS battery.

If none of these fix it, it's probably a hardware issue. Could be PSU, CPU, or Mobo. If you're not getting a BSOD, it's almost definitely NOT RAM or HDD.

At this point, it's hard to test which part it is without just replacing parts until it works.
Saltymuffingaming

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 pm

My first guess is bad power supply. Replace power cable, and try different outlets first. Try to boot to bios and see if it does the same thing. If it doesnt, it could also be a heat related shutdown. What are you doing on the computer when it shuts down?
Swick

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Yeah, power would be my first thought as well. Either a failing power supply all together, or maybe draining more power that it has capacity for. Depending on how McGyver you're feeling, you can get a standard power tester for like $10 to know for sure. Otherwise, checking for loose or bad cables is a good option.