Looking for non-audio-hardware based streaming software.

Mikhail_Demagne

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Hey CohhFam, may be wrong thread (mods feel free to move), but:

tl:dr - need a "per application" audio source based streaming program instead of a hardware based one.

Been trying to get my stream setup (obs / gameshow / xsplit testing) and got voicemeeter/vb-cables to play with as well, but have found that regardless of what I try to do, the audio gets fouled up one way or another:

A) Using VoiceMeeter - Can split out mic and background sounds (youtube/twitch/etc) but will not pickup game
audio or any media files (music) in scenes.

B) Using Defaults - Can pickup all sounds but includes all background noise as well.

The reasoning I have found is simple and obvious: the streaming software (obs / xsplit / gameshow / etc) are all hardware based when it comes to recording and streaming audio - it requires an "all or nothing" approach, as most games / browsers / applications default to your main audio output device (Speakers / Headphones).

The problem is that there is no way to exclude audio sources from your stream / recording because of it. You would think that if I put a "Game Capture" in my sources, that it would record both the audio and video of the game being captured, but no - it will record the video and MAYBE the audio IF the audio output device is set to your default "desktop" audio - along side everything else. Using a separate audio capture and disabling the default audio outputs does not work.

So, what I am getting at and hoping someone can tell me is: is there a way to, either a native program or plug-in, have the audio be "per application" based? In essence, make OBS default to all audio sources mute and only the sources specified (game / browser window / media player / microphone / etc) be what is recorded / streamed. Is there such a program? My research has turned up null on this subject and I would have assumed that the 20-30+ years we've had to develop such technology it would be simple and easy to acquire, but it seems to be beyond capacity in this case.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.