GTX 980

PootKlopp

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 pm

So I jumped on a deal I saw with GTX 980's 4GB going for $280 USD. I have an older system and have wanted to do a upgrade and this seemed like a good situation with the crazy prices for GPU's. Any recommendations on the following.

Setup: i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, SSD's, 2 x 21.5 ASUS 1080p 60hz monitors

1. I bought 2. Should I SLI and run that?
2. Should I sell 1 and be happy with my setup?
3. Sell 1, buy new monitor? SLI and buy new monitor (RIP money)?
3.1. What specs would be best for the monitor? 1440? size? 60 or 144 hz?

If I run SLI am I going to bottleneck with my current setup? Halppp.
ChangeOfHard

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am

Hey PootKlopp,

The way i think about SLI is for everyone card you add it's effective performance is halved:
1 card = 100%
2 card = 150%
3 card = 175%
4 card = 187.5%

This is not factual this is just a mental model.
This also only works if the applications you use are optimized for SLI and your PSU and motherboard can run SLI.

Currently the 980 is considered a mid tier card in the 10 series line up (somewhat comparable to a 1060).

So whether or not you want to sell the second card is dependent on whether you need the performance and how much you can get for the card.

As to the question about the monitor.
A monitor is very much a personal preference.
Some people will swear by highest resolutions, some will prefer the frame rate. and another just can't stand not looking at a screen that has not met certain color metrics.

That being said.
Generally anything above 1080p 60hz is considered fine.
A higher resolution will result in a more crisp viewing experience.
And with your specs i expect running a 1440p monitor should not be a issue even on 1 980.
The higher refresh rate 60-120 will give a noticeable responsive boost. But unless you are playing competitive games you might not find it adding a lot to the gaming experience. and next to that running recent games at 120fps steady might prove to be challenging (even with more high-end rigs).

So, do you like in-depth single player tech demo's or productivity ? 1440p might be more your jam,
If you are a competitive FPS or Moba player or maybe a speed runner. 1080p 120hz might be more for you.

If i where in your place i would sell the second GPU and put that money towards a 1440p 60hz monitor.

Good luck,
ChangeOfHard