cpu upgrade advice

tombulous

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 am

Hey guys.
Looking to upgrade my pc and was trying to decide what to do next. Currently I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card and 16 GB DDR3 RAM. When I play games I often get CPU locked so I am looking to upgrade it. Current CPU is AMD A8-5500 APU. Trying to decide what to do at this point. Do I start a new build with a new motherboard or do I just upgrade the CPU. This is the first time I've really played around with this type of thing so any and all advice is welcome. Thanks guys beforehand and have a wonderful day.
LancelotTheLion

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:36 am

You won't be able to get much (if any) of a CPU upgrade without also upgrading your motherboard. Modern CPUs won't fit in the same motherboard as the CPU you have. And if you upgrade your motherboard, your RAM will no longer fit because most/all use DDR4 now.

So, you should probably upgrade your CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. Are you also looking for advice on which components to buy?
tombulous

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:56 am

Thank you for the response. If you have advice on components I would be glad to hear it. I've been looking at barebones kits recently. Previously I have only bought prebuilt PCs and I'd like not to spend hundreds of dollars and mess something up so all advice is welcome. If it helps I'd prefer not to spend over $1000 if I can help it.
Shadi_P

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Hey Tombulous I would agree with Yoharnu. It's quite hard to upgrade just one part without having to upgrade the other components of your computer. I don't know AMD very well myself but in my eyes Intel has never steered me wrong. You can find some pretty good deals to upgrade the guts of your computer on Newegg. I have linked it for you. If you have any questions please reach out to me.

https://m.newegg.com/eventsalestores/33 ... er-combos/