Need a little help please

KiloSpartan

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm getting back into PC gaming after having to take a break for couple years and I was wondering if the specs of this computer I'm looking to get would be at least decent for today's gaming. I know almost nothing about computer hardware. All I know is pew pew KABOOM and that I need a decent graphics card, but here goes the specs

I'm looking at buying a Dell XPS 8700

4th Generation Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 1.0GB GDDR5

1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

Any feed back would help...again all I want is a decent not great computer right now I just want to be able to play on a PC again
Have an awesome day and if it's not Spartan kick it until it is :)
Ahven1

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 pm

I would go with self build pc instead if you cant do it your self maybe a friend can help also there are lots of guides to build it your self.
Would be helpful if you could post these things:

1.How much you got to spent ?
2. Where you live?
2. Do you have any old things you can use like monitor, mouse and keyboard?
KiloSpartan

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:19 pm

I don't have a lot to spend up to $900 and the quote I got puts it at $880

Also for right now because I'm starting to stream I need a better computer than my 2 year old laptop so for now I'd like to just buy a decent computer and when I have the money start building one later down the road
Ashardis

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 pm

The problem with buying a brandname PC is that it can be hard to retrofit parts later on.. since the big brandname pc manufacturers can sometimes use cases/psu's that are juuuuust enough for the parts that come with the original hardware.
This is especially the case for upgrading gfxcards, both in relation to the actual physical size of teh card and perhaps replacing the PSU with one that can handle the larger load.

The $880 is a nice price, the hardware is decent in every aspect, apart from GFX and PSU. That's where the lack of funds stops the show.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2VEYV <-- Try looking at this!

Still an i7, "only" 8GB ram, but now with an actual gaming gfx card!! Lots of room to upgrade in the case, a PSU powerful enough to handle the largest single-card GFX solutions - and at $910 including shipping and having sent in for mail-order rebates n whatnot.

If you want the easiest upgrade options, upgrade from 760GTX to 770GTX before ordering OR spend $60 on 8GB more ram - although this can be done later one as it's just slotting 2 extra modules in.
Later on, you might also consider getting/replacing the CPU fan for something better/less noisy, but it's really not crucial for now.

If you think an OS is missing, I can help you out (start a conversation on the board or via twitch).

The above parts are a far FAR better option for starting out streaming on an, albeit not completely barebones, budget vs. buying the Dell machine.

If you're worried about assembly, ask a friend or watch the many many MANY youtube videos on how to do it! A regular Phillipshead screwdriver is all that's needed.

Also remember - for streaming purposes - a monitor (if you don't have one), webcam, headset/mic+speakers... perhaps a dual-screen setup.. or maybe just the laptop PC on the side for chat n so on.

Best of luck :)
Ashardis

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Also - if you don't have keyboard+mouse, buy a cheapskate set ($10-20) and replace it with the first paycheck
Ahven1

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:49 am

Ashardis setup is good. And 8Gb ram is enough for games also i think concider i5-4670 for a cpu also the cpu with K end can be overclocked if you are into that but you will need to upgrade from stock cpu cooler. I5 is 100$ cheaper and at the moment games dont utilize hyper-threading. One point of upgrade Ashardis forgot to mention is getting a SSD for your OS.
Ashardis

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 am

Ahven1 - Thanks for the kind words! I chose to go with the i7 as games + streaming will require more out of the CPU than just gaming will! I also chose to forego SSD because of the budget, not because I forgot :) I would rather have Kilo_Spartan wait a little more, THEN be able to play & stream in good resolution/quality/fps than downgrade CPU or GFX in order to fit an an SSD that's "merely" a loading time convenience. I have an SSD myself and I love it, but when we're fighting budgetary constraints like this, SSD isn't "mission critical" :)
KiloSpartan

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm

I mainly just wanted to get a basic computer and build up later a little at a time. Start my way from the bottom so to speak until my streaming takes off and have the backing to get into a better more expensive computer. Going off a student budget leaves very little room for getting a new computer and off this outdated laptop. Thank you for the feed back and also the information. I'll start looking more into pcpartpicker.com as my finances allow.
KiloSpartan

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Well I wasn't anticipating on having the ability this fast to get a new computer so I went ahead and tried my best to my very little know how of building. I have a used NZXT Phantom 410 ATX Mid Tower that a friend gave to me. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Yk4Y

If there is anything that I can do to make it better while still staying around $1100 let me know. Also I'm pretty intimidated about building a computer mainly cause I'm not all to comfortable with the process. As long as it can stream and play current/future games with basic/low to medium graphic settings.
Ahven1

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 am

I would not use so much money on the motherboard.

Go with like asus z87-A or MSI Z87-45G gaming also for the Gpu would go with gtx 760.
Also would get a aftermarket cooler for the CPU.

Heres few links to how to build a pc ....should give all the info you need:

NeweggTV
Part1
Part2
Part3

LinusTechTips

Careyholzman <- this guy has tons of good build guides

If you watch any of these guys videos i would say you are rdy to build your self...with Careyholzman you could but some build guide on and do it same time he does it!
ethelsia

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:20 am

Building a pc is easier than most think, all you need is time to read up on the web and don't rush things. Ask a friend to help assembly it.

From the list of parts you can ditch the separate network card, your motherboard already has a network card built-in which will do just fine. Not sure what you got with that case from your friend, but you will need to add some fans for the case and a fan for the CPU for cooling, then you are ready to go. According to the datasheet of the case some fans should be included, so you would need just the CPU cooler for starters (like http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-coo ... p0900csb01)

I'm also pretty suprpised how expensive the operating system is, I just looked it up here in Europe I can get a Win7 x64 for 55$.
KiloSpartan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Yeah I spent last night watching those videos Ahven and feel a little better, still worried about the wiring it all. But I do feel more confident in being able to build one so thank you.

And thank you ethelsia I have changed up the build since then I've really just been trying to test things out and forgot to remove that newtork card
KiloSpartan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:38 pm

I just need help in picking the parts I need cause I know nothing about computer parts and the difference in makes and models. Been trying to read up and learn as much as I can

Also the NZXT case won't be included in the price http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2YRkW
Where I'm at now and decided to add a better monitor than what I currently have (cheap old 19" Dell monitor)
Ahven1

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:14 am

I woulnt worry about the wires because most of them can only go to one place. Just reserve a good time window for your build and keep your manuals close and you will be fine. :)
KiloSpartan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Thank you Ahven for the advice I will definitely be surrounded by manuals :D
zechs82

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Take a look at the attached image. Ignore the black flag game, it was a gift with buying the graphics card. This would be something close to what I would probably build for myself. Don't forget a copy of windows if you need it.
KiloSpartan

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I wanted to check with someone who knows more about this than me seeing how this is my first build. Just wanted to make sure this will be fine running multiple monitors, allow me to stream, and play. I have an OS Win 7 (64) so that's why its not included.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZU7B
zechs82

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 am

In all honesty, I like the sabertooth mobo but you could switch that out with a different mobo and save about $150.
rojomojo915

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:17 am

Kilo_Spartan wrote:I wanted to check with someone who knows more about this than me seeing how this is my first build. Just wanted to make sure this will be fine running multiple monitors, allow me to stream, and play. I have an OS Win 7 (64) so that's why its not included.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZU7B
Spend an extra $40 and get an overclocked GTX760. Here is the hardware comparison for reference, note that those are the base models so the OC version will offer even better performance.

Edit: Btw, I just bought the card and I love it. Granted I upgraded from a GTS 250, so it was much needed.
KiloSpartan

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Yeah zechs I went with a cheaper mobo MSI z87g45gaming and rojomojo I would if I could afford it looking at maybe getting (for now) the 750 TI and upgrade it later down the road. Because right now with the graphics in my laptop any graphics card will be an upgrade. Thank you both for the help and feed back