mirillis Action Software

bblondia

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Has anyone used this video game recording software? It seems to get pretty good reviews and has the built in ability to Livestream. It's also pretty cheap at less than $40. My main use will be to create YouTube videos but would also like to use it to stream games on Twitch at some point. Does anyone have any feedback on it? I'm looking for software that is easy to use but creates quality videos. Any insight would be greatly appreciated from the Cohhmunity! :)
Ashardis

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:49 pm

OBS is FREE and can also stream to HDD for making YT vids! - https://obsproject.com/
bblondia

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Ashardis. I read a few reviews that mentioned the quality of the OBS recording wasn't that great. Can it record in HD?
Ashardis

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:39 pm

It can record at whatever resolution you run :) I think the people who complain are those who haven't set up the bitrate properly n so on. OBS will encode on the fly, meaning you'll end up with a decent size target file, as opposed to eg. FRAPS that'll just complete block out your HDD with it's 4GB file chunks (uncompressed)
If you want to do a lot of finagling with effects n so on, you might want to set the bitrate PRETTY HIGH so that the encoding to YouTube quality happens with effects/raw video at same quality.. as opposed to lower bitrate compressed video and full bitrate fx being compressed (it can make things look a little iffy).

But - /shrug - just play with OBS and see if it can do what you want it, in a way you understand how to set up.. that's all.. I mean.. it's FREE :)
At worst, you'll spend an hour or more playing with things like bitrate/fps/codecs and those things are REALLY nice to know about in the YouTube business.

Have fun :)