Need help to finish up my build

MrArmedBull

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am

I'm planning to buy a new PC, so I have some doubts about the PSU (even though I picked up a corsair 750W gold) the two monitors of 23" or 24" (I sit like 65 cm away from my actual monitor), and the case. I have no idea about what audio card, fans or any kind of ports to add.
My idea is to get these components: www.pccomponentes.com/pccly/A68295E2 (It's in Spanish but understandable)
Im going to make my own liquid cooling system, to consider for the PSU.
Ashardis

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 am

The PSU is fine, you have a LOT of headroom before it gets to maxload (300W atleast!)
I would strongly suggest you get a 256GB SSD, so you can install games there !! 128GB is a tad too small, in my opinion.
If you are not a super audio geek, there's no need for extra soundcards really. so you can drop the Xonar (on the other hand, it's not that expensive, so /shrug)
If you're planning to use a custom watercooling loop, there's no need for a CPU cooler (but I dunno if the store NEEDS it, so they can test your system).

Now you just need a case!

Otherwise the build looks good !
MrArmedBull

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:40 am

I dont mind keeping the audi card, I will get a bigger SSD :) I dont know how to get the cooling to the GPU. Will it be enough with its to fans? What case should I get? If I get more fans, should I get a control panel for them?
pdxmozzarella

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Well if you're gonna go the liquid cooling route you can drop that CPU heatsink that you are thinking of picking up and pick up a waterblock. If you're not powering 2 video cards then I wouldn't worry much about using a 750W PSU. If you really want a good idea as to how much power you will at very least need try http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/. Honestly the computer parts are going to be probably half of the total cost if you include water cooling.

Right now I'm running a setup with NB/SB water block, CPU water block, 2 GPU water blocks, 2 radiators: 2 x 120 + 3 x 120 (rule of thumb - you need 1 x 120mm for each item cooled), obviously a pump, a reservoir, and quick-disconnects at every block to provide easy part change outs. If you need advice on water cooling I'll be happy to help.
pdxmozzarella

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:20 pm

And I completely agree with Ashardis
Ashardis

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Ehm, first of all.. Let me say this : If you don't know anything about cooling or watercooling, you should either watch a LOT of youtube vids on how to do it so you will learn yourself.. or NOT bother with watercooling at all!! It can be quite complicated and involve a lot of DIY stuff.. so it's not for starting out.. and there's a chance you will burn the CPU/GPU :/

So.. with that in mind.

Cooling the GPU - the GPU comes with fans and they'll keep it cool, provided there's enough airflow in the case in general. If you want to do the watercooler thing, you need to take off the GPU fans/heatsinks and mount a custom cooling baseplate and connect it to the waterloop.. or buy a custom 780Ti prepped for watercooling.

You haven't picked a case yet, but any modern case with 2 or 3 (and above ofc) 120mm fans should do fine
Ashardis

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 pm

And regarding a control panel - not really needed at all if you have good fans that don't make a lot of noise.
pdxmozzarella

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 pm

If you're looking for any sort of specific fans, Antec TriCools have served me well in the past, I still have 4+ of them in my case right now. And like Ashardis said, if you don't know much about cooling and this is your first big build then I would probably stick with air cooling. Water cooling other than looking cool is typically for people like me who overclock their stuff and need that extra cooling. As long as you have good air flow for your case, for example, fans in the front and side pulling air in and fans on top and in back pushing air out, you should be perfectly fine.