Calling all the Cohhilition Artists!

Ashardis

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:36 pm

So.. this is well in advance of release, but there's still quite some things we can do!

Cloud Imperium Games (makers of SC) allows us to change the gfx of the Organisation Homepage.

We can change the color scheme of things (I think the RED is best, keeping in the colors of stream/forum)
Also Banner/Background (note pixel/size limits!)
These will be on top of the Org page/in the background (so make it suitable for this!)

Last but not least - The Org needs a logo and a smaller icon for forum purposes
You can make these submissions without being part of Star Citizen or in the org at all, but IF you are, I can make it possible to preview the changes (making you part of the Information & PsyOps team) so that makes it a LOT easier to fiddle with it without wreaking havoc on the Org homepage!

And lastly - I would ask that the submissions are atleast a little "space/dogfighting/star/galaxy" - themed!

I look forward to all contributions and remember to also write your Star Citizen name (especially if you want to join the Information & PsyOps team within COHH)
Narathkor

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Here is a logo and small icon, let me know what you think of these, if you want any changes, or scrap it all together and go a different direction. After these will move on to the larger images.

Ashardis

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Narathkor wrote:Here is a logo and small icon, let me know what you think of these, if you want any changes, or scrap it all together and go a different direction. After these will move on to the larger images.

I like the larger badges "emblem" style.. looks like it could be sewn on a jumpsuit right away - I'm not sure about the scroll-work - it feels a little tacked on.
Maybe make the emblem more Square (while keeping the fabric/sewn-on quality) to utilize the pixelspace better and if we need to have text, why not use the Creed?
Laetus, Auxiliaris & Reverens - (or Happy, Helpful & Respectful as we know it)
or hmm.. maybe just Semper Reverens? (Always Respectful).. As SC might not be the best advocacy for "happy".. atleast for the other ppl, hehe.

I think the symbols are a little small - the small stars and the larger NATO-like compass star - and it doesn't scale well in the icon-size image.

Maybe a larger red C (finely detailed on the large badge) on a black "fabric" background with the yellow thread-like border to keep the patch-feel.. with the Org Logo or not.. (It can be shown in Large format on the top banner image, so not too worried about the "badge" image) and maybe some interesting things in the background..

I hope I'm not being too unkind here, your submissions are VERY much appreciated - I didn't have any ideas myself - apart from the source being militaristic/cohh in space-themed :)

Keep up the good work and submissions!
Narathkor

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:29 pm

It is inspired from the actual logo for the First Batallion 3rd marines. Yes I want feedback let me think on it a bit and ill try to make some adjustments tomorrow. Can not get things the way you want them without some feedback and changes :)
Ashardis

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Pls note the changed Creed.. my Latin is bad, thanks 1OHN!!
Laetus, Auxiliaris & Reverens
OR
Semper Reverens
you can replace the & with an "et" instead.. Laetus, Auxiliaris et Reverens
Narathkor

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:26 am

It seemed like you wanted more of a logo and really didnt like the scrollwork/text at all, so lets try something different and see what you think. It is much more simple yet keeps the fabric look and scales much better to the small icon. It also uses more of the pixel space as it is more square.

Ashardis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Narathkor wrote:It seemed like you wanted more of a logo and really didnt like the scrollwork/text at all, so lets try something different and see what you think. It is much more simple yet keeps the fabric look and scales much better to the small icon. It also uses more of the pixel space as it is more square.

First of all, sorry for my late response!

I really like what you took the initial idea to in this round, based on the feedback! The Tri-shape reflects the Creed and the intentional "imperfection" at the lower left makes it look like an actual sewn badge!

My critique mostly concerns the duplication of the Tri-shape. I personally think it would be stronger if the red Tri-shape was removed and a Red C was placed instead. The C would size-wise be of the same circumference as the red Tri-shape atm. - the grey Tri-shape would be fleshed out and "meet in the middle" but there would be black borders where the red C intersects the Tri-shape (kindda like you have it with the red tri-shape and the grey one atm, perhaps a little smaller in the big badge.
I really like the icon and I also think that the red C would make a stand-out small icon aswell.

I would also like to see some more detail in the black field, perhaps a few stars - but nothing too overwhelming (I know, I'm difficult!)

Also, could you perhaps make 2-3 different tries/implementations of the ideas above, because that would help the process, I think :)

Hmm.. also thought of perhaps a color-change, so the border would be black thread, dark red background (like eg. the Post Reply button on the forum), black intersection borders and a bright red C (like the red Tri-Shape)

I would like to see both "color schemes" if you can manage it?
Narathkor

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Sure ill do that for ya, itll be tomorrow or friday though. Gaming time now :D
Ashardis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 pm

There is no rush :)
Dragon1ion

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 pm

YO Ashardis contacted me for this, here's what i came up with for today, you choose. i like them all for different reason

Image Image Image
http://slickjoint.tumblr.com/
----------------------------------------------------------
Twitter @Slickjoint
Don't be an iClone, switch for a WindowsPhone;
Lumia 1020 FTW
Ashardis

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:03 pm

SlickJoint - I also really really like these! I would like to see them at the LOGO size specified in the top post (175x175pixels)to see what details would show up well or which wouldn't.
I like the angular/transformers one (middle) - I don't like the fluffy wings.
I'm also interested in what made you choose 7 stars and whether it was purely for aethetics or an underlying reason.. I like there to be an underlying reason for logo's, since they're a brand signifier.
I also think you could would need to increase the C-size at the expense of maybe losing the hammer to make a bigger/clearer brand impact in the 175x175 size.
So, lose the hammer, bigger C and I think loose the 7 stars for making the brand clearer @ lower pixel count :)

But you could totally still use the larger sizes and put it in the BANNER image, should you choose to make one of these aswell

Thanks for the work so far :)
Callumdk

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm

I like all 3 of them, they look nice and professional
Dragon1ion

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 am

Last batch after your comments Ashardis, i hope one of these will suit your desires, they're all PNG files with alpha transparency too i should add =)
Image Image Image Image
Twitter @Slickjoint
Lumia 1020 FTW
cirosmar

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 pm

All of those are awesome, particularly the last 2.
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” - The Prince, Niccolò Machiavelli
LpClemo

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Slick those are great, particularly the third one
Dragon1ion

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:10 am

Image that's for 24px icon

Now i've made some tweaks on the logo that you chose, but i can't decide which one is best so i let you pick, and then that 'll be final.
ImageImage Image
Twitter @Slickjoint
Lumia 1020 FTW
cirosmar

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:28 pm

I like 2 and 3 about the same. The lighter aspects of 2 probably give off the security/good guy vibe more than the dark 3rd one though
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” - The Prince, Niccolò Machiavelli
Ashardis

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm also looking for something to replace the BIG banner (1140x380 pixels).

The banner.. hmm.. there's tons of inspiration on the Starcitizen site.. a lot of other org pages rip blatantly/directly from SC imagery (and this is permitted)..

I did a mockup of something that might inspire you artists :
http://i.imgur.com/aNQxJYb.png
Obviously you see what I don't do the art around here :p

The topmost mockup is about the spacesuit and showing Cohh's face with some visuals to the left to balance it out (might want to add an opponent.

The bottom on is showing Cohh exiting a dogfight with his opponent exploding, showing a big grin.

Secondly, the ships would ofc need to be from the StarCitizen universe.. I imagine Cohh flying in a Hornet as it's pretty iconic and a lot easier to draw Cohh in, as opposed to a Constellation.

Marine/spacesuit example : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -Rifle-WIP

Hornet & more spacesuits : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... The-Hornet

The logo insert for both is done by the website (exact placement isn't 100% correct, more there for reference so you don't add a lot of detail for the lower left corner that would be covered up anyways.

I hope this can be of some inspiration - my mockups are purely inspiration and not "must be like this or BAD" :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this!