Additional New Account Security

Give us your suggestions, hate mail or any other forms of input to make the website better.
MavenOfMisfortune

Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:41 am

There have been a huge wave of spambots recently. Or, at least, I have little reason to believe they're not bots. They usually end up posting links to what are likely malicious sites on their profiles and statuses, and sometimes they will post on the forums with the most unusual jibberish sentence-constructor I have ever seen. (Frankly, if they ever get a coherent paragraph, it'll be the equivalent of the monkeys writing Shakespeare scenario.)

There needs to be some way to prevent these guys, possibly by adding additional security measures to the account creation or by disallowing certain types of activities for new accounts with no posts yet.

I'm hoping the forum will be more active, and spam ad posts like these don't help encourage people too much to hop on board!
ZenUltracrepidarians

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:41 pm

There should definitely be a captcha before you post like what indiegala does before you login!
MavenOfMisfortune

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Sadly not just one person, Stefazenon. Pretty much nightly 2-3 bots arrive and do the same thing. I've sent up to 8 reports a day when I'm around the forums purely due to these posts.
ticktock1231

Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:14 am

I do the same thing, that is why i have new posts open first now. I guess i am not sure how they can post without purchasing a subscription to the web. If they DO purchase the sub, then i guess i am okay with spam because the Channel gets a little extra, and they seem to go away pretty fast.
MavenOfMisfortune

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:26 am

[QUOTE="ticktock1231, post: 29109, member: 39876"]I do the same thing, that is why i have new posts open first now. I guess i am not sure how they can post without purchasing a subscription to the web. If they DO purchase the sub, then i guess i am okay with spam because the Channel gets a little extra, and they seem to go away pretty fast.[/QUOTE]

Huh? You don't need a web sub to post here. All members, even lurkers and people without subscriptions, are welcome to post on the forums. All these bots need to post on the forums is an automated registration program that passes the forum's requirements. Just like any other user.