Posting threads correctly

Give us your suggestions, hate mail or any other forms of input to make the website better.

Is this a good suggestion?

No
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4
ZenUltracrepidarians

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 pm

I would like to suggest that there should be a way to implement a system to automate threads into the correct forum as so many people get confused where to post!
MavenOfMisfortune

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:17 pm

Thread automation is nigh-impossible. That requires not only a complex system of auto-sorting but also topic detecting. Thankfully, if someone posts fully in the wrong forum, moderators on almost all forums nowadays have the capacity to move the topic to the correct subforum when required. So I don't think it's that necessary a feature. Not too many people actually mess up whole-hog, anyhow.
ticktock1231

Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 am

I have always thought that there should be one place to start a thread, and while creating it there is a drop down to allow you to select where it goes. This is the way that Experts Exchange works for IT issues.
MavenOfMisfortune

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:22 am

[QUOTE="ticktock1231, post: 29110, member: 39876"]I have always thought that there should be one place to start a thread, and while creating it there is a drop down to allow you to select where it goes. This is the way that Experts Exchange works for IT issues.[/QUOTE]

That would require a complete rework of the forum's infrastructure to execute. Besides, forums work this way for a reason. If that were how forums worked, then there would be little motivation or convenience for people checking to see if an active topic already exists regarding the topic they are considering starting.

Forums, unlike IT Help, are meant to emphasize social interaction and diverse interests. By accessing a specific sub-forum, you're saying to the system "Yes, I am interested in this general area of the community, both for reading, responding, and bringing up new topics." IT Help is designed for specific instances of problems and resolutions, to expedite responses and solutions. Forums are designed for building a community and allowing slow enough communication to emphasize well-thought responses and opportunities for those with less free-time to still be informed and active in said community.
ZenUltracrepidarians

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:32 am

[QUOTE="MavenOfMisfortune, post: 29116, member: 55411"]That would require a complete rework of the forum's infrastructure to execute. Besides, forums work this way for a reason. If that were how forums worked, then there would be little motivation or convenience for people checking to see if an active topic already exists regarding the topic they are considering starting.

Forums, unlike IT Help, are meant to emphasize social interaction and diverse interests. By accessing a specific sub-forum, you're saying to the system "Yes, I am interested in this general area of the community, both for reading, responding, and bringing up new topics." IT Help is designed for specific instances of problems and resolutions, to expedite responses and solutions. Forums are designed for building a community and allowing slow enough communication to emphasize well-thought responses and opportunities for those with less free-time to still be informed and active in said community.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with what you said "a complete rework"? Surely all you need to do is add a box and text inside. I feel that's a little pessimistic.
MavenOfMisfortune

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:48 am

[QUOTE="stefazenon, post: 29123, member: 16482"]I don't agree with what you said "a complete rework"? Surely all you need to do is add a box and text inside. I feel that's a little pessimistic.[/QUOTE]

No, because that's just the UI on that one screen you're talking about. You'd have to make a new section of the site for topic creation where this posting threads screen would be, and have that link up to every existing sub-forum using the one "box and text inside" UI element you propose. That's restructuring the basic site design and elements, not a simple UI add.
ZenUltracrepidarians

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:26 pm

[QUOTE="MavenOfMisfortune, post: 29124, member: 55411"]No, because that's just the UI on that one screen you're talking about. You'd have to make a new section of the site for topic creation where this posting threads screen would be, and have that link up to every existing sub-forum using the one "box and text inside" UI element you propose. That's restructuring the basic site design and elements, not a simple UI add.[/QUOTE]
I understand it's a little confusing to me as I don't know how the back end works on forums so thanks for explaining!
MavenOfMisfortune

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:52 pm

No worries! Needless to say, I'm sure people can learn through experience, and the moderators are a good bunch of people too. This format's worked pretty well for the countless forums in the past, so we'll get by. =)