Would Love to play some DnD 5E or 3.5E

A place for rules, characters and materials related to Dungeons & Dragons.
OoGaNomiX

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:21 pm

I have barely any experience with DnD outside of Making characters. So if anyone knows of anyone willing to DM and have a group going. I would be up to play.
Morbidfacination

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:02 pm

the Roll 20 LFG Forum is another good place to look for groups
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search
draxorable

Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey never played myself but saw Cohh and others play and really liked it and would like to join you Ooga :D
Morbidfacination

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:01 pm

For what its worth, I havnt played D&D in close to 15 years now, but i'd be down to give it a shot if you can find a DM will to take on a party of newbs
thatkidparadox

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:57 am

im in my first campain and would love to join annother ill ask my dm if he would be willing to take us on or have you guys join us pm me if you are intrested
Trawgy

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm

i am interested in playing too
GamerBiggie

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Same with me, I have always wanted to play some D&D, so much so me and my friends made an extremely simple version of it. Used the Roll to Dodge system but gave it a story and stuff like that just so we get use to being in the RP situation.

Be nice to be part of a newbie group of D&D players so if anyone is making a group up, would love to be involved :)
MavenOfMisfortune

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm extremely experienced in 3.5, and I know how to use 5 even if I believe it to be strictly inferior. I'd consider DMing, but I'd much rather play. My biggest, best campaign I've made has failed seven times with seven completely different groups, so I've been waiting to personally get to know people through gameplay and conversation before running it again.

That being said, if anyone needs help with anything 3.5E from character creation to DM tricks, feel free to ask me.
GamerBiggie

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Probably a very silly question.. but is there much differance between 3.5 and 5 ? Don't hate me for asking xD
MavenOfMisfortune

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:02 pm

[QUOTE="Biggiewilson, post: 28093, member: 57001"]Probably a very silly question.. but is there much differance between 3.5 and 5 ? Don't hate me for asking xD[/QUOTE]

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e has more options and more ways of representing your character through their character sheet and stats. It was the edition with the most publications and the most work done. However, because of how huge in variation its material was, it was both easily broken and unbalanced and also difficult for new players to learn.

Dungeons & Dragons 4e intended to fix these two problems by making a perfectly balanced and easy-to-learn system. However, the nature of attempting to do this consequently severely limited the ability players had to change their characters' stats and abilities to suit their desires. It essentially became a tactics game without the role-playing flexibility people desired from D&D.

Dungeons & Dragons 5e is, at best, an attempt to combine the flexibility and familiarity of 3.5e with the simpler forms and density of 4e. It is easier for new players to learn on their own, and fewer arguments arise about some classes being superior to others. However, it didn't actually DO much in terms of innovations or additional options. In fact, just to obtain the same basic options available in the single Player's Handbook of 3.5e, you would have to combine multiple manuals of 5e.

...in short? If you are looking to not spend too much time learning the system but want something classic-feeling, you go with 5e. If you're purely about combat tactics or a game you can slap in front of someone and have them quickly learn to play, you go with 4e. And if you want the full roleplaying flexibility and variety a pen and paper can offer, you go with 3.5e.

I personally hate 5e because of what it is to me...a reselling of a watered-down 3.5 and a cheap cash grab by forcing players to buy multiple books just for basic options rather than buying one manual that covers all basic options. Then again, I'm extremely experienced, put a heavy emphasis on roleplay and freedom rather than mechanics and railroading, and have a long history with pen-and-paper RPGs, so it's kind of expected I'd prefer 3.5e. So you're free to make your own choices there.
GamerBiggie

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:07 pm

From the sounds of it, how you described them at least, 3.5 seems more my thing with the flexibility of the RP. The op-ness that you were saying would be rather easy to combat against wouldn't it? using house rules that is.

So if I was to learn the basics of Character creation and basic RP tips, is there something I could look at or can I get that info from you?
MavenOfMisfortune

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Oh, additionally, if you want a more cohesive and balanced system that still gives you lots of options, there is a system called Pathfinder which was essentially made to "fix" D&D 3.5e. If you're good enough at screwing with system mechanics, you can transplant practically all of D&D 3.5e into Pathfinder. I heavily recommend looking at Pathfinder. All of the base content of Pathfinder is available for free online.
MavenOfMisfortune

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:13 pm

[QUOTE="Biggiewilson, post: 28097, member: 57001"]From the sounds of it, how you described them at least, 3.5 seems more my thing with the flexibility of the RP. The op-ness that you were saying would be rather easy to combat against wouldn't it? using house rules that is.

So if I was to learn the basics of Character creation and basic RP tips, is there something I could look at or can I get that info from you?[/QUOTE]

Learning basic character creation, all you would need is a copy or pdf of the Player's Handbook for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e. I'm sure it's easily obtainable somewhere online for free, depending on how legal you wish to be. The Player's Handbook is a good start for learning, although you will eventually want to have a conversation with a DM to clarify points here and there. An experienced DM should also be able to point you to additional manuals that may be relevant for a specific character you wish to create.

Pathfinder's character creation can be found online for free legally through their SRD: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
GamerBiggie

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:07 pm

[QUOTE="MavenOfMisfortune, post: 28099, member: 55411"]Learning basic character creation, all you would need is a copy or pdf of the Player's Handbook for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e. I'm sure it's easily obtainable somewhere online for free, depending on how legal you wish to be. The Player's Handbook is a good start for learning, although you will eventually want to have a conversation with a DM to clarify points here and there. An experienced DM should also be able to point you to additional manuals that may be relevant for a specific character you wish to create.

Pathfinder's character creation can be found online for free legally through their SRD: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/[/QUOTE]

Ah okay, thank you for the info and tips will be looking into it, just need to find a seasoned DM it seems lol
thestalkingwolf

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 pm

How often would everyone like to play? (sorry I'm late to the discussion)

I already play in one weekly group and dm a bi-weekly group.
MavenOfMisfortune

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:26 pm

Once every two weeks is usually good for an otherwise busy group. Once a week is the ideal, but that relies on everyone being super committed and having a mutually dedicated block of time they can commit.
DoogenAC

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:10 am

I have a 5e campaign running Thursday evenings. We're going to move start time to 8pm EDT this week and see if that time works. It's a smaller party of approximately level 3-4 chars that have setup a base of operations in one of the Sword Coast towns. We are about done with the 5e Starter kit material (Phandalin) and we'll head next into other Wizards of the Coast content. We've been at it for four months now and the core group of three has been playing weekly. We can adjust party size and have players in and out for most week's adventures, we tend to start and finish an entire section of content each week and we'll start and finish in a town where it would make sense to pick up additional adventurers.

We play with players in Mumble for voice comms and everyone is running a copy of Fantasy Grounds Demo. I have the fully licensed copy and everyone attaches to my server. Players interact with the map, combat order and roll on screen similarly to other computerized RPG systems. Using Fantasy Grounds and voice chat means we can often cover 8 to 10 encounters in a two hour session. I have the electronic license copy of the Player's Handbook, and you can download the 5e handbook from Wizard's web site. FG automates so much that we are able to emphasize play time versus rules interpretation. (I'll take about four hours a month to "load" 6-10 hours of adventure material.

I typically live stream the DM's perspective of the match. Msg me for my twitch channel, I'm not trying to advert my (very small, low budget) stream here. Or pay attention to my name and twitch's usual URLs and you can probably find me. Check us out one Thursday and if you're interested in joining in, catch me with a half hour to spare and we'll setup a character or two.

I am generally looking for 6-10 people who are interested in D&D / 5th ed who want to play 1-3 times a month. We'll rotate folks in and out as availability, party size and life dictate. Right now we can take three, perhaps four more "regulars." I've told the party we'll stick to DCI methods best as possible in case folks in the party are wanting portability in and out of this campaign to other 5e Adventurer's League, etc.

Doog aka DoogenAC
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
GamerBiggie

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:55 am

Well for me, my availability is pretty much any day until October. I am in the UK so time might need to be figured out for me.

If any of you like, feel free to add me on skype or steam. Skype - biggiewilson, Steam - Gamerbiggie

I am happy to learn any of the different editions, I just want to finally give it a proper go :)

Currently looking though on of the Vods you have Doog, will make sure to try catch you live
blackseth99

Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Has this stuff been going on? It would be awesome if there was some way of finding eachother easily in Roll20. Maybe using a title blurb like: #CohhilitionDnD game?
thestalkingwolf

Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Post twitchcon I should be able to get a game up and going. At least a few mini quests at first to find a group that fits well together.