Shards of Aravaen

A place for discussion on "live" games such as Dungeons & Dragons, Mafia, etc.
SharpeyedKitsune

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:35 pm

Signups are now officially closed; Sorry all and sundry! But! Due to popular demand I'll be posting a session-by-session summery of the story for those interested in a separate forum which I will link here, so watch this post! Thank you all for your support and do let me know if you're still interested, as players will be coming and going as players are want to do. Thank you again and foxy hugs.

On the Cohhilition Message board rests a new flyer, held in place by a dagger whose hilt is inlaid with silver and capped with an emerald.

"
To whom it may concern,

I seek a group of adventurers to embark on a new world. An adventure of a lifetime, or perhaps more than one. Riches, legends and wonderment await. Inquire with Seeker Joten at the Gilded Rose."

Looking for Players for a 5e DnD game. New players welcome and encouraged! Skype required (Mic not cam); other recommendations include:

A (free) account with the website Roll20.net
A PDF reader (for provided materials)
A background in or a desire to do theater, even as a hobby or curiosity.

*Power gamers, min-maxers and down-punchers need not apply. Your armour will be cursed and dragons will fall on your head, you've been warned.

The game will be held via skype with yours truly as the Dungeon Master.
5e DnD with a strong emphasis on story over following all of the rules.
The world is a unique creation that does not in any way fit into the DnD timeline (often called 'Homebrew' to varying extents).

Cohhilition rules of: Happy, Helpful and Respectful apply.

Disclaimer: Game may in part be 18+, so entrants will be screened accordingly.

Speaking of entrants; If you're interested, be prepared for a 'session 0' with any and everyone to hear about the world and the main structure of the game to gauge interest. (No obligation to buy!)

To gain a spot in 'session 0', send me a message with your skype name and what times are good for you and i'll get back to you. As of right now, I'm looking for a game for Wednesdays in the late morning (11-12 cohhtime) EST (that's around 6pm GMT or so) but that's very flexible and even mutable.

Do NOT have a character fully planned and rolled when you come to session 0 (but absolutely have an idea for one)!

Final warning: The World of Aravaen is extremely dangerous and at times can waffle between 'high fantasy' and 'dark fantasy', so expect that in terms of tone. Let's have some fun!

~Kit

Edit: Game will meet once weekly in a persistant world and run for roughly four hours per session.

Edit 2 because I'm a derp: Signups will go for about a week. From Fri 15th of january to Fri 22nd 2016

Edit 3 because I can't get this right no matter how hard I try: Looking for about 3-5 players total, with people watching if the players agree and people want to.
Lady_Simonie

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Would love to join but I'm available only at 6pm EAST during weekedays and at 11am EAST on weekends :)
SharpeyedKitsune

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Oh! Thank you for a reminder, Lady_Simonie! I need to make an edit to the main post.

Edit: Done
Dredcaptaindoodyballs

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm a noob but super interested in playing. i'm available 6pm EST on weekdays and open to any time on weekends in advance, but i'm usually pretty busy.
detroit_drew

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm very interested! I'm a highly experienced 3.5e D&D player/DM. I have played homebrew almost exclusively. My schedule is flexible, so I'll just wait and see what happens. I'm in Cohh's timezone EST.
ticktock1231

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:20 pm

This sounds great, having a 9-5 job and a young daughter I can't play. BUT I did want to wish everyone good luck with this and the post was super captivating, if your writing is any indication of your DM style it would sounds like it would be pretty fun!
whitty16

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:18 pm

I would love to join as well, however I have the same schedule as Lady_Simonie. Let me know if that is a possibility. Otherwise have fun!
Shanxy67

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Interested in playing. I'm available 530PM EST on weekdays and mostly available on weekends (I have soccer in the evenings on Sundays). 3.5e D&D player currently, but would learn 5e.
Apolyon6k

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Sounds like a nice idea and I would love to join you but I am GMT +1 based (Germany), so the time difference might be a problem during the week if I get the job I applied for.

I have been playing pen & paper rpgs for ages now (over 20 years on and off) and played D&D 2 - 3.5 - 4 as well as other official and even homebrew systems in homebrew worlds. Never played over Skype as of yet but have the hard- and software ;P

Not sure what the theater has to do with rpg but if you mean to play out your character and stay in character, I can do that.
Is your intention to livestream the sessions or just to play the game over Skype?
Dredcaptaindoodyballs

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:39 pm

[QUOTE="whitty16, post: 31554, member: 40151"]I would love to join as well, however I have the same schedule as Lady_Simonie. Let me know if that is a possibility. Otherwise have fun![/QUOTE]

Edit : This goes for anyone else interested as well, nothing is locked down, we can discuss times at the session 0.

Go ahead and private message or whisper Kitsune with a short message and your Skype name and then show up for the session 0 which will be an intro and information meeting.
SharpeyedKitsune

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:11 pm

[QUOTE="Apolyon6k, post: 31557, member: 64056"]Sounds like a nice idea and I would love to join you but I am GMT +1 based (Germany), so the time difference might be a problem during the week if I get the job I applied for.

I have been playing pen & paper rpgs for ages now (over 20 years on and off) and played D&D 2 - 3.5 - 4 as well as other official and even homebrew systems in homebrew worlds. Never played over Skype as of yet but have the hard- and software ;P

Not sure what the theater has to do with rpg but if you mean to play out your character and stay in character, I can do that.
Is your intention to livestream the sessions or just to play the game over Skype?[/QUOTE]

The theater bit has to do with immersive story telling, like i said, more of a desire or a recommendation than any requirements. And no, I didn't plan on livestreaming the sessions; but a lot of people seem interested both to play and watch and I can't take everyone, so I'm probably going to keep a running story on the forums of summeries of the sessions.
SharpeyedKitsune

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:45 pm

[QUOTE="Dredcaptaindoodyballs, post: 31558, member: 60866"]Edit : This goes for anyone else interested as well, nothing is locked down, we can discuss times at the session 0.

Go ahead and private message or whisper Kitsune with a short message and your Skype name and then show up for the session 0 which will be an intro and information meeting.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of session zero; consider this an announcement. I hope to meet all interested parties in the skype chatroom I've already created at, say, 7pm EST cohhtime on friday january 22nd 2016. I am well aware that that's late for the europeans and frankly kinda shit for me too, BUT at least four of the potential players need that time or later and have approached me saying so. This is NOT definitive of when the game will be held, but I have to try to juggle for people.
SharpeyedKitsune

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Oh and just for the sake of it.
<--- this strapping fellow is something a friend did years ago, pixel art version of - you guessed it - Seeker Joten.
Lady_Simonie

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:42 am

Sounds good to me, I'll be there on friday!
Lady_Simonie

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:13 pm

Session 0 was a blast! Can't wait to play in 3 weeks :)
Lady_Simonie

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:18 pm

Just a quick note to say the Kit is an awesome person and I'm sure he's d&d campaign will be successful!! :)
SharpeyedKitsune

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:09 am

And so it begins! Keep watch of this thread for summeries and stories within the Shards of Aravaen! http://www.cohhilition.com/threads/shar ... sis.12525/
Lady_Simonie

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Just a quick note to say how amazing and fun our first evening of D&D was!!! I think our group are all in agreement on how good SharpeyedKitsune is!! cohhL