Dark and Light PvE

Server info for various games played within the Cohhmunity will be posted here.
TDUDrivetime

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:32 pm

Great server guys thanks for making it available :)

Just started so very low level yet but loving it so far. :D
DoogenAC

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:54 pm

23 concurrent logins now and 88 distinct logins today, wow. Love this Cohhmunity!

In game prizes tonight! Win a Vrock saddle! Best pets! Best pet names! Best deaths so far!
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
Rihaikitty

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Hmm, tried to find the server with the search but just not finding it or even anything with Doo in the name. Of course I also seem to be having the same issue trying to find Cohhilition server when I search Coh or even pve. Find some but not what I am looking for in the list. Any ideas?
Naughty_Z00T

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Search for Doog with Password Protected server checked and Unoffical. that is how I found it easy. And type in password in box when it is white then hit Enter not Accept.
Desutoroiya

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 am

I will join the server next week when im home from holidays :)
DoogenAC

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 am

Just had an interesting topic brought to my attention, "shadow banning." I heard Cohh mention the community's ban list and I grew curious and looked into the topic a bit. Barry (paraphrasing) was quick to say the team's preference is to not use one ban list on another server, it is akin to shadow banning, and I follow that reasoning. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_banning.

And after a bit of reading, and a slow day at work, I'm trying to be expressly clear with you all about the banned users approach for this DnL server. This is, as I see it, part of my responsibility as a self-appointed server manager, that is, a responsibility to protect the community from ill behaving participants, and to see clear expectations. You'll see those reflected in "...warm and welcoming" comments from me elsewhere.

To be clear about the topic of ban list for this server, I'm not an official cohhmunity server. I am just another doog, just another player, just another guy running a server. I am not using the Cohhilition ban list. I'm here hanging out with you all, I enjoy building and being a part of gaming communities. The default ban list for the server, when using DnL Server Manager, is the file located at http://playark.com/banlist.txt. That list contains the x64 STEAM ID for known bad ARK players. This server restarts twice daily, so I expect it will load that list on each restart.

Now then, to be clear: Do stupid stuff on my server, and I'll ban you quickly. I've spent way too much time in (multiple) MMOs and have learned that there is such a thing as waiting too long to ban problematic members. As an active L1 magic judge, we are certainly taught in that community some very good incident investigation practices. And as we say judging events for our kids' swim meets, we do err on the side of the participant when we are talking about kids in a pool or when you don't "see" an infraction. However, I do not expect this to be a group of learning/children, so I take the posture that unwanted behavior should be investigated, and bans should be fair and swift.

This stuff is important to me after three+ decades of gaming. So:
  • A very commonly used BAN list from ARK is the BAN list for this DnL server. I feel that is important to make clear.
  • This forum thread is the primary and significant source of players on this server.
    /vague on
    I will communicate its existence in my other gaming circles including twitch, steam, private facebook groups. I take measures to set expectations for good behavior for all.
    /vague off.
  • Follow the Will Wheaton rule.
  • Follow the Cohhilition rules for chat, language and good behavior. I add onto those, these expectations: "be safe for work, be safe for OTHERs homes, be safe for [my] kids, be warm, be welcoming."
  • Don't grief the game or players. Just because you can kill a town NPC doesn't mean you SHOULD. If "it" is an in game resource, don't screw "it" up. Don't use bugs/missing features to great advancement. A common example: Can you run away from a mob? of course. Can you train the mobs on others? sure. I use the town guards for this when starting out. If you train mobs onto others, be civil - be helpful. Don't do it to people purposefully. And sure, this example is situational.
  • Don't steal from others. IT is not okay to loot others stuff and stealth. Users, it is not okay to log out in the open and think you are safe. The main rule is this: common sense is important in a persistent survival game. We'll handle problems as exceptions.
  • This is my server, not a Cohhilition community server run by Cohh's and his great team. I'll investigate any issues, do my best to be fair and obviously will cooperate with the great team here. I am the one with the mouse that clicks on the ban button if required.
  • It's been a great and active group so far. Thank you - dozens of you - we have NOT had problems, and I take this matter on proactively.
  • It is, at the end of every day, a harsh survival game in early access. Semper Gumby - be flexible!
More good, clean fun to come!
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
Marc014

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:44 am

Also cant find the server eighter :S
searched for Doogenation DnL , Doog and so on,
ticked "show pw protected servers" and had it on unofficial servers

any ideas?
maybe due to regional differences?
TheDuvy

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 am

Will join as soon as game gets downloaded! In game name will be Phant0m instead of Duvy :)
Marc014

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:45 pm

seems like its region locked
so i sadly cant join you guys :(
LordKena

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Joining as LordKena
TDUDrivetime

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Hey DoogenAC sent you a friend request on steam hope you accept (steam name DT Bezrider)
theravenspear

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Is the server down right now (Playing as Seala, just FYI... helped with that bird last night?) ? It's not popping up
oGyNc

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:39 pm

[QUOTE="theravenspear, post: 46119, member: 26982"]Is the server down right now (Playing as Seala, just FYI... helped with that bird last night?) ? It's not popping up[/QUOTE]
He reboots it at 5pm est. it went back up around 515
DoogenAC

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:27 pm

I think we may have a patch today. I'll update at 5pm EST if one is available. I see my machine downloaded 1.4gb of DnL earlier this morning.
Doog. Call me Doog!
oGyNc

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Let's hope it doesn't turn our houses into ghost plots.
DoogenAC

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 pm

While awkward to enforce, may I ask, in the interest of our over 100 unique logins and a regularly 10-20 concurrent players, that everyone clean up a bit. No stray land markers please, it's really upsetting to start a complex tame and wind up over a "property line."

So please try to mark off a reasonable area around a plot of land *if you are going to start building on it.* If I see stray markers and no obvious effort nearby, I'll remove them upon request. Feel free to to go the edge of an existing property's land base and apply a marker so that you have one large, moderately sized plot to work with, terrain and existing player buildings aside.

*REMOVE TROUGHS WHEN TAMING IS COMPLETED*.

Use your best judgement please, start a project and finish it, then consider other lands.

BETTER: partner with others; build a resurrection Altar. The Doogenation is one such coalition on the server in which membership is going to be considered. We'll build an alliance and house around which travel and taming can be a success.

This is certainly a player/action driven area in which we'll all have to learn, adapt and be a bit flexible.
thanks!
Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
MoistGrover

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Would like to join if there is room. Steam ID is jag18porsche.

In-game name is Porthos
DoogenAC

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 am

On the topic of the server, its performance, and the manager software I'm using to manage and monitor the server:

We are at both server and client version 100.4534 on my end. There are now three methods I'm aware of for managing DnL servers:

1. http://store.steampowered.com/app/63023 ... rver_Tool/ was announced in the last day.
2. http://dnlservermanager.freeforums.net is in EARLY release, they provide caveat emptor, it is not finished. They know the game can and will change underneath them, they PROVIDE WARNING that the server manager can cause issues with hosting. So far so good. They have to react when the server/tools change, likely without any advance notice.
3. You can manipulate all the files, versions, backups by hand and with batch files or Linux scripts. I find a console is far more elegant. I really do not care, as a server manager, where the files are and which version is correct. I've done ark server by hand. It was interesting, then it was a chore to do by hand.

The developers have released a server manager, announcement made today, see (1) above. I'm going to make some popcorn and watch the DnL Server Manager team's reaction before making any manager changes. The manager in place works, I have faith in the ARK Server Manager team's work, they have a year+ of development managing a *very* similar tool. I've inquired whether or not they are involved with the "mother ship." I don't mean to create a political statement here, but the team is a Chinese development team and I don't expect the publisher to work closely with a competing, boutique software development team. I am concerned

The DnL Server Manager has been helpful, three updates have been published in one week and it continues to be a work in progress. I can say my lightly used ARK server runs very well, I've relied on its backups and logs for months. It is my hope the DnL Server Manager team will continue their feature-rich approach, they set a high bar for what a private server manager tool should provide. They are working very hard and quickly if the chatter on their forums is any indication.

MY combined ARK/DnL server is:

Intel 4770k slightly overclocked to 4.06 gHz
uses on board video now that I'm not playing on it.
32 gb RAM
ordinary spinning disk. It appears to perform a larger write commit about once a minute and behaves like a good database, operating from memory, writing to disk is steady state 5-7% IO utilization. Everyone playing on the notice when a save file is created. If I/O this becomes problematic, a pair of SSDs may wind up in this machine to lower IO wait states. So far there is tons of head room on disk I/O.
The network is sending a steady data stream of 30-35kb/sec upload and 25kb/sec/user download. My ISP connection is a 60mb up/down tier one ISP in a metro area, relatively close to core internet ISP peering paths. I've been able to live stream at 3-3.5 kb/sec (at or under Twitch's limit) while the game server is running with no immediately discernable impact on players. I've not broken down performance at the net flow level. Overall the server's network is running at acceptable gig Ethernet rates. My region of the world seems to love Netflix like everyone else and 8-10pm local time stresses every network application in my zip code, but turnaround/lag times are acceptable; bandwidth/volume are in ordinary shape.
RAM seems to grow linearly based upon concurrent users. The running configuration of DnL has settled into requesting 8192 mb RAM, the CPU runs at a steady 40-45% utilization whether there are 10 or 20 participants. For other ARK/DnL server managers, if you want to run 1-5 users, 8gb total system ram will work. For any number over that, confirm you can commit 5-8gb RAM and avoid disk paging. when you near physical RAM and start to page memory, you're in trouble. I'm running 32gb RAM and appear to have the memory head room for another 50 users. It is my untested hope that this CPU/RAM/Network/Disk muti variable calculus can support 50-60 happy Cohhiltion members if required!

The manager software is purely a tool of my convenience. I'm inclined to not touch it if DnL server manger is working, provided its dev team can keep up with the game dev team.

nifty stuff.
Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
TDUDrivetime

Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 am

Hope to get on over the weekend, too many work commitments during the week. :(

(also running a forum doesn't help :D )
oGyNc

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 am

Is anyone getting a gitch when dismounting pets? My camera is all messed up and its like my character is in a ball. I need to rest in a bed in order to fix the camera.