Dark and Light PvE

Server info for various games played within the Cohhmunity will be posted here.
DoogenAC

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:21 am

investigating when we can get the next patch. I've set the server to check 4x hour for updates and perform an unscheduled outage. I'm hopeful Snail will release the version soon. Ideally we'll have it pretty soon after it is available, assuming all the auto-updaters are working properly.

We are just buggy enough with this last patch that I want to jam up forward soonest. The "look" bug is having moderate functional, and a very real play-experience impact on us. Set your steam client to auto-update!

-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
TDUDrivetime

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:49 am

Was on for a bit today but very buggy had to restart a few times.

Also lost the ability to harvest things and couldn't create the light rune. :mad:

Will try again later. :)
Naughty_Z00T

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Is the server down? Not in my Favorite list. When will it be back up?

Also, i guess i was robbed. i had to log off the other night without completing my roof and logged in last night to all my storage boxes empty? thought i PIN coded them.
TDUDrivetime

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Can anyone tell me how to get my wood crafting up?

I've been collecting lots of wood and harvesting loads of other stuff and am at level 10 now and still can't construct any wood items to build with, do i just need to chop down more trees. :confused:

My wood construction is still at zero. :(
oGyNc

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:38 pm

[QUOTE="TDUDrivetime, post: 46217, member: 99403"]Can anyone tell me how to get my wood crafting up?

I've been collecting lots of wood and harvesting loads of other stuff and am at level 10 now and still can't construct any wood items to build with, do i just need to chop down more trees. :confused:

My wood construction is still at zero. :( [/QUOTE]
Create straw structures and it will level into wood.
TDUDrivetime

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:44 pm

[QUOTE="Nova_Kain, post: 46218, member: 18648"]Create straw structures and it will level into wood.[/QUOTE]
Already doing that but still nothing yet, how many straw levels do i need to complete before i get wood. :D
VermiciousGnit

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:02 pm

[QUOTE="TDUDrivetime, post: 46219, member: 99403"]Already doing that but still nothing yet, how many straw levels do i need to complete before i get wood. :D [/QUOTE]

There is a minimum level before you have access to the new building types(Straw/Wood/Stone/Iron). If you click I and select the knowledge tab at the top it will tell you the pre-requisites for everything.
VermiciousGnit

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:04 pm

[QUOTE="Hs_noob, post: 46215, member: 36310"]Is the server down? Not in my Favorite list. When will it be back up?

Also, i guess i was robbed. i had to log off the other night without completing my roof and logged in last night to all my storage boxes empty? thought i PIN coded them.[/QUOTE]

I have had the same problem on occasion. I think it is a server glitch during restarts. Completely secured chests only to find most of them empty after a restart. Has not happened in a couple of days though.
VermiciousGnit

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:06 pm

BTW The server is currently being updated. I thought it would be up by now, but they had a patch and a new Server Management Software release that Doon is upgrading to so it looks like this could take some time.
DoogenAC

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Today's noon update:
full stop/restart of hosting machine
Restart ISP/router, nice, fresh connection tables, ahh.
Uninstall a few unnecessary apps now that this computer has no dedicated GPU (opening up more tasty disk space)
copied DnL server mgr folders to save our "status" before these updates.
unzipped 1.0.15 over top the dnl server as has been suggested by their devs for prior versions.
Made a post install copy of DNL server mgr with 1.0.15 extracted over prior installation
confirmed no new updates in the regular steam *client* for the game.
Utilized the "install/verify" feature in the DnL manager. It performed a current install/verify over current ver 100.4534 which did uninstall and start a new, large download. This download took about 30-35 mins.
Started new server set to "1" concurrent player. I wanted to make sure the map did not get changed.
Success! logged in. Shut down server, edited setup to support 50 concurrent players, up from 32.
Restart successful running ver 4688 at about 1:05pm.

TESTING
Multiple players confirmed turning, snapping to resource/corpse gather, "direction facing" and far more immediate resource "hit->gather."
I killed a few bunnies, combat feels more responsive, closer to a 10-20ms reaction time from client, server, client to represent combat. it was discernably slower prior to this update.

In short, take the hour in server manager, force a server software update to this soonest, it's a player-experience improvement and worth the down time. We should expect to receive the update from STEAM on our regular clients when Snail/Steam update client version number availability.

Bleeding edge, doing it live!
See you all in game. Hope to arrange a hunting+taming group tonight!
-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
DoogenAC

Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:11 pm

We've learned some useful in game play mechanics this week in this part of the Cohhmunity! Along with the hundreds to thousands of hours accumulated, we are also learning and testing the game. There have been issues:

The most current patch, version 100.4866 is noticeably helpful:
The Devs are rolling out new patch this weekend on their servers. It appears to correct most of the annoyance with facing directions and melee interactions. Resources are given by nodes on the first "Whack." Small objects (eg dead bunnies ) continue to have a smaller hit box. I pushed it top my server uninvited, in advance of the devs' announcing it, it was a risk, and we are better off for it.

Leaving a "house" wrecks your object ownership:

Building object and pet ownership is very "tripped up" by changing house. resist the urge to drop/recreate your house. You may will shut yourself out of your storage, homes and use of pets. I'll take these problems on one at a time. Choices after losing your association with in-game objects includes: I can offer to take over ownership, destroy the items, merge houses, and others.

No griefing yet!
As player names start to get used there are some real opportunities for a few complex griefing scenarios. I'm going to slow down on correcting object ownership issues for folks over this next week. As we continue and get smarter the response is probably going to become only to destroy things, esp. starter kits. Lock yourself out of a very complex build? Speak to me in person, there are some steps I can take that are extensive and require a sizable amount of time and effort to correct

Object Removal

Thus far object attrition / decay is not affecting the server yet. This will be a longer project to tweak. We'll work out a way to get stray objects to go bye-bye, and obviously I want to be *very* careful with this. As I have time I can take requests. Just because someone built near you, don't assume you can have the plot of land. If they haven't logged in for 72 hours we'll consider other options. And there is NOTHING wrong with not logging in for three days. Exceptions may be considered.

Rerolling means losing old stuff

if you are planning to reroll your char, please be kind and destroy your things ahead of the reroll to save me time. If you do reroll and have left items behind (pets, housing, storage), let a neighbor or me know. We'll free up the space if it is requested.

In game events look promising!

Beware meteors; darkness resides within.
Beware invasion events; Lots of darkness comes therefrom!
"hunt" and "taming" events with 2-6 people, LOTS of supplies has been really fun. More to come!
Player-driven politics (throne, factions, land grabs, invasions) stand to allow players to influence the game in creative ways.

Miscellaneous

No news on our server yet about crowns, thrones, leadership.
All you in game, expect to place a "mailbox" if we can confirm the tech is there to leave your neighbors in game notes/mail.

A word of encouragement, support those who make this possible

I did "tip" the creator of DnL Server Manager $25 yesterday and got a personal "thank you" from him. He's working pretty darned hard and turning out far more work than the devs. Great to see the devs are launching a server tool. I'm going with the guy who has a year or so of ARK server manager code/integration experience for now!

Remember this cool group of 131 unique logins, 30-40 regular players is possible because of the community orientation Cohh and team have. If you're getting as much fun as I am, don't forget to express your thanks to them as you see fit!

I am a player/administrator on the server. If I can help out where *game bugs* are concerned, I will. It's a little fun to me, but it does get old, to go into creative/admin mode. Been there, done that, with ARK. I will wind up in admin mode helping, and when that work is done, I'll return to regular settings. If you feel a game glitch has caused you heartache, ask for help and we'll meet in the middle.

This is a survival game, with bugs. It is showing some amazing promise. I've clocked 98 hours in ten days!
-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
Naughty_Z00T

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:02 pm

I hate to complain but it seems I can't finish my outer walls of my base because someone built a house across from me in the elven lake area and I'm getting Too Close Enemy Foundation message. I was building my base and he/she was not even there but I did not finish outer walls. next time I log in (within day or two), their house is up and now hitting Too Close limit. How far/close is distance set at? Can this be tweaked to allow players more room? If not, I guess I'm moving my base. Amazed I'm hitting limit since their house is across the water from me a decent way. My in-game name is ZOOT.
DoogenAC

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi Zoot, yes, I saw this happening and I am not taking the stance where I tell folks where they can/cannot build. Those "few days" away did let someone crowd you. I think your run down is about right.

If you want help rebuilding, ask away. I have not seen just yet what the zoning/"too close" distances are. If I drop them, folks will auto-crowd even more, and I don't want that.

All: if you "see" a building, go over the next rise. Don't build so closely to one another that you can fire a fireball and hit the other person's build circle.

After all, it is *zoot's pond*, at least I call it that. You were building there first. Let's do something interesting and nearby. deal?
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm

two crashes today. Grr. What's changed in the last day?

Our normal pattern of use, tens of users logging in, easily 30+ unique logins/day.

I did update the server yesterday. the *alpha/*beta*/*pre-release quality code.

And we did turn on invasions today, and they are pretty darned cool.

I'm not sure what I could/would have done on the server to make it happen, that is certainly possible. We've been calm for ten days, and today the server process stopped twice.

I'd day blame Canada, or Australia, but that's not helpful at all, right?

Keeping an eye out. Backups are now taking place 3/hour instead of 1/hour. Server is set to auto-restart if it crashes. So far we are seeing the planned 5pm/5am EST auto-restarts perform themselves calmly, restarts are now taking 8-10 minutes. Finally, I've turned auto-updates off in case that was/is the (likely) source of the crashes. That is the main thing I "changed" in the last day.

If we crash, feel free to ping me on twitch chat/doogenation discord or steam for any updates. It would typically return to service in about ten minutes, unless a download/install is occurring.

thanks for being a patient group, appreciate your understanding while we continue the fun despite two hours of lost gameplay.

Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 am

Good morning everyone, I'm pursuing the 4688 to 4829 upgrade for server now.
Edited server update process from authenticated to anonymous SteamCMD user.
Removed "output SteamCmd to progress window" preference, enabled "keep steamCMD open" to troubleshoot non-downloadedness
Downloading now. Private server operators: modify your server update process to anon server downloads. Optionally consider removing your "cache" download folder to free up GB of old files if you were downloading files in the background (e.g. DnL Server Manager update scheduler).
Update complete. yay \o/ health and mana bars.
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 am

Many are interested in tweaking settings to improve DnL's graphics performance.

We can learn some good lessons from ARK. Thanks to Old Man Gaming for pointing out this article:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/529180/di ... 862080909/

If your game is running slowly, simple steps include lowering the sliders in "options" for graphics. Disable sky and ground effects.
More advanced settings involved activating the game console (numpad "+" sign) and issuing commands to reduce bloom, light beams and gamma effects.

Make a backup copy of your settings files BEFORE you start making edits!
Doog. Call me Doog!
VermiciousGnit

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:33 am

Few Points and Questions of Note:

1. Please link your discord so everyone has it(I do not see it anywhere here, but I could just be blind)

2. Is there a login log that can be traced back to owned buildings of each player? I have never run a server so I am not sure if this would be even possible.

3. If #2 is possible could we put in place a rule where if you have not logged in for X days your buildings start to deteriorate?

4. If #3 is possible could we put in different tiers of deterioration depending on building material type+number of objects snapped together? That would basically equate to a small straw building would disappear almost immediately while large straw structures would take a few days, and decrease that deterioration value quite a bit for each stage of material used in the build. IE Large wood structures would take a month to disappear and Stone+ structures could even be permanent until such a time you have deemed they are not coming back and Admin destroy it. Since damage resistance is so high on structures HP really does not matter if they log back in to find their place half health.

5. Can we put in place where any feed bins in the wild are removed every restart? That would remove a lot of clutter around(But it also might remove feed bins in use inside a walled off open area as well so I dunno)

6. Another option would be if we can make feed bins immune to the structure nearby issue? That would solve a lot of the taming problems.

7. Could we lower the rate of decay on spoiled meat and apples to make feeding pets a bit easier? I would hate to think someone who is on vacation for a week or so would come back to all their pets either dead or on death's door because there was no way to feed them for a while on a stack without it deteriorating before you got back. That would also allow someone to take a break for a couple of weeks without fear of all their pets being dead when they return. Those two items feed pretty much anything in the game(might not be their favorite but they will eat it), and I do not see a real overwhelming benefit to being able to stockpile that stuff(maybe fertilizer since it requires a lot of spoiled meat for the big bags). Thoughts?
VermiciousGnit

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:25 pm

[QUOTE="Hs_noob, post: 46237, member: 36310"]I hate to complain but it seems I can't finish my outer walls of my base because someone built a house across from me in the elven lake area and I'm getting Too Close Enemy Foundation message. I was building my base and he/she was not even there but I did not finish outer walls. next time I log in (within day or two), their house is up and now hitting Too Close limit. How far/close is distance set at? Can this be tweaked to allow players more room? If not, I guess I'm moving my base. Amazed I'm hitting limit since their house is across the water from me a decent way. My in-game name is ZOOT.[/QUOTE]

Zoot,

At some point I plan on moving my location to a more scenic one not so close to the city. That is where I plan to build out my stone fortress of happy and delightful tidings. Once I do that I will fully destroy my current location, and you can spread out to your left. It will take me some time to do so though so I don't know how long you are willing to wait.
DoogenAC

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:24 pm

[QUOTE="vermiciousgnit, post: 46262, member: 13072"]Few Points and Questions of Note:

1. Please link your discord so everyone has it(I do not see it anywhere here, but I could just be blind)

2. Is there a login log that can be traced back to owned buildings of each player? I have never run a server so I am not sure if this would be even possible.

3. If #2 is possible could we put in place a rule where if you have not logged in for X days your buildings start to deteriorate?

4. If #3 is possible could we put in different tiers of deterioration depending on building material type+number of objects snapped together? That would basically equate to a small straw building would disappear almost immediately while large straw structures would take a few days, and decrease that deterioration value quite a bit for each stage of material used in the build. IE Large wood structures would take a month to disappear and Stone+ structures could even be permanent until such a time you have deemed they are not coming back and Admin destroy it. Since damage resistance is so high on structures HP really does not matter if they log back in to find their place half health.

5. Can we put in place where any feed bins in the wild are removed every restart? That would remove a lot of clutter around(But it also might remove feed bins in use inside a walled off open area as well so I dunno)

6. Another option would be if we can make feed bins immune to the structure nearby issue? That would solve a lot of the taming problems.

7. Could we lower the rate of decay on spoiled meat and apples to make feeding pets a bit easier? I would hate to think someone who is on vacation for a week or so would come back to all their pets either dead or on death's door because there was no way to feed them for a while on a stack without it deteriorating before you got back. That would also allow someone to take a break for a couple of weeks without fear of all their pets being dead when they return. Those two items feed pretty much anything in the game(might not be their favorite but they will eat it), and I do not see a real overwhelming benefit to being able to stockpile that stuff(maybe fertilizer since it requires a lot of spoiled meat for the big bags). Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

HI Verm

1 > my discord is available at [edit: https://discord.gg/674xXCW ]

2 > I have login logs and they do NOT include build details. I'd have to go into admin mode and look at objects to discern who owns what.

3 > I am slowly turning on and watching the deterioration settings. mistakes here could be upsetting, taking it slowly.

4 > The deterioration system is timing, based upon that user's login. So if someone logs in once a week, they are unlikely to lose items. AND straw and wood items appear to take a little dmg over time. everyone check your buildings and you may see some dmg on tiles. I think this is the case. Or as was suggested last night, pets are doing a little dmg. Still learning here.

5 > feed bins will fall under the deterioration systems rules. I don't have any current tools for picking out one type of object in the game and changing that item's decay rates.

6 > A good suggestions for the devs, agree

7 > I could make pets *require less food*. Would that help with a similar outcome, I'll look at food spoilage rates too. Both may help, overall. Still when your food is spoiled, the pets will want to eat. Will study this and see what can be done. Overall I agree that our pets are pretty darned hungry and yes as the game is today it is not going to be casual-player friendly. I do like that idea.

Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
Naughty_Z00T

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:40 pm

[QUOTE="vermiciousgnit, post: 46267, member: 13072"]Zoot,

At some point I plan on moving my location to a more scenic one not so close to the city. That is where I plan to build out my stone fortress of happy and delightful tidings. Once I do that I will fully destroy my current location, and you can spread out to your left. It will take me some time to do so though so I don't know how long you are willing to wait.[/QUOTE]

No worries. I have yet to explore the map and will probably do the same and make my base more remote. Just need to memorize some landmarks so I do not get lost exploring. There are no flying threats where my base is now, so OPEN STYLE will do for now. I do need a enclosed pen for my ground tames tho. Work In Progress but that's the point, right?