Dark and Light PvE

Server info for various games played within the Cohhmunity will be posted here.
Migeli93

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:41 am

So this morning after waking up I logged in to find that All my stuff and animals belong to house of Clark Kent. Now I am stuck inside my house and cannot do anything. What happened while I was sleeping?
Naughty_Z00T

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 am

Doog, can you teleport my Longhorn up onto the ground behind my base please? it got stuck fighting a Dark Wraith at the waters edge.
DoogenAC

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 am

[QUOTE="Migeli93, post: 46341, member: 68530"]So this morning after waking up I logged in to find that All my stuff and animals belong to house of Clark Kent. Now I am stuck inside my house and cannot do anything. What happened while I was sleeping?[/QUOTE]

I was trying to add Clark to our "house" and chose an incorrect option. Because of that and related issues, I had to recreated a new house, and Migeli yours was one of the last set of buildings/pets to convert. If others need support, ping me on discord.

Pro tips:
  • Don't accept a merge request FROM someone unless you want to drop your house and join theirs (woops)
  • Don't run a house without an active, backup house administrator.
  • Do note the first person you add to a "house." That person will become "admin" of your house if you leave
  • If you leave a house and there is no admin you can contact, you have to create another.
  • Expect buildings, fences, troughs, signs to "stay" with the previous "house"
  • If you change houses, expect to have to "cheat givetome" on pets and "cheat giveallstructure" to connected buildings. These assign objects to the admin who writes them.
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
DoogenAC

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:12 am

[QUOTE="Hs_noob, post: 46348, member: 36310"]Doog, can you teleport my Longhorn up onto the ground behind my base please? it got stuck fighting a Dark Wraith at the waters edge.[/QUOTE]

I can when we are both online concurrently zoot, will take 2 mins. Ping me on discord. That link is in game, MOTD and in first post of this thread. I'll be checking in till about 6pm today.
Doog. Call me Doog!
Originally an Asheron's Call player, Doog has been playing text muds, MMOs, shooters and most forms of computer games since PONG was created and took us past the Pinball era!
Brew_77

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Server down?
DoogenAC

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am

server updated to 5023. Nice to see the devs reduced the download from "full game" to an incremental patch. 2gb this time instead of ~50 went a lot faster. patch notes -> https://www.playdnl.com/all/2017/0810/7427.html
Doog. Call me Doog!
Tactical_Zombeh

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:26 pm

They update frequently too. We're at 5120 now. Can't get into the server. ^.^

Read back through the thread and now I'm totally confused. There's a Cohhilition server and Doog's server. Who's managing Cohh's server (PvE). It's an older version than Doog's.
I don't typically play these games online but thought I'd try. I'm not sure where to play now hehe.

Ok not confused now. Two different servers/admins. lol
DoogenAC

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 pm

revising server to version 100.5023 Friday 7:30 pm EDT
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 pm

[QUOTE="tactical_zombeh, post: 46463, member: 19822"]They update frequently too. We're at 5120 now. Can't get into the server. ^.^

Read back through the thread and now I'm totally confused. There's a Cohhilition server and Doog's server. Who's managing Cohh's server (PvE). It's an older version than Doog's.
I don't typically play these games online but thought I'd try. I'm not sure where to play now hehe.

Ok not confused now. Two different servers/admins. lol[/QUOTE]

to be clear I am not managing Cohh's servers. I have a server, I'm a cohhilition member, simply posted its availability here. Mine is not an official Cohhilition server, and if Cohh's team asks me to implement a policy, etc, I shall.
Doog. Call me Doog!
Cormical

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Server seems to be down atm. think it went down 1pm EST?
MoistGrover

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Can anyone from the house of Kirkjoak tell me if they plan on building on top of the mountain overlooking the area? If not I would like to build there.
DoogenAC

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:17 pm

[QUOTE="jag18porsche, post: 46495, member: 66763"]Can anyone from the house of Kirkjoak tell me if they plan on building on top of the mountain overlooking the area? If not I would like to build there.[/QUOTE]
Kirkjoak please check in with us within 72 hours, we have experienced over 130 unique logins on the server. 30ish continue to play. If folks want to be super casual, cool! And if there are small buildings in the way of others who are playing, I'll administratively remove them if it's clear there there is little to no activity within 72 hours of a request like this.

(I am not yet able to discern if our "object permanence" settings are slowly removing unused items automagically).
-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
Cormical

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Is it possible to get Demolish timer enabled or will it be better to make specific requests with LOCs?
I know there's a single standing shabby hut on a few hills that sit uncompleted around the starter area.
DoogenAC

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Wow rough weekend DnL fans, thank you for your patience.
  • Friday we had code version 100.5023 loaded.
  • Saturday it seemed an "update" was available and server version dropped to 5020.
  • Server crashed just after noon my time, but I was out of the house. IT restarted but crashed again after the 5pm EST restart. I think the server was down 10? hours all day.
  • Continuing to monitor, I'm glad the server manager restarted it at 5pm, but 6+ hours on average is a long time to wait when you'd hoped to be on, having fun.
  • I've increased our backups to 4x/hour. expect a 10-15 sec slowdown for the save. I'm considering moving the server files to SSD to speed this up. Looking at what a new set of drives would cost, may run out this afternoon. If I do this, expect an hour of down time for the down time, hardware installation, file system changes, migration of data, and testing of the server manager.
  • In-game NPCs are somewhat buggy, we have seen those in elven town both able to level up and not via donations.
  • Our fun time is making a difference! I've submitted about a half dozen land/terrain or in game bug reports and at least one feature request. Even recorded a video of the NPC problem and the devs dropped me a note of thanks.
  • I've taken some liberties with the extended crashes to help players who were noticeably put aside by the technical issues. While there's no right way to do this and not slight someone, if you have been in-game wrecked by technical bugs, have a pet stuck in a wall, rock, have fallen into terrain that was buggy, or just were certain doors were closed that invasionary forces got through, talk to me. I'd much rather ease the pains of issues genuinely not your fault if that will help. AND this is a survival game, do expect to die, to lose stuff, to have some harsh difficulties. We'll try to balance the reality of the game's intentions and bugs, if we encounter them. At least while the devs are saying the game is no where near complete, I don't mind "console-ing" a bit to help you all. I will be slightly conservative as going cheaty mode is just not that fun for everyone if it's commonplace.
  • In game fans I may put up a poll at say the end of this month, asking if/when you all want to reset this world. No specific need, and if it "keeps it fresh" perhaps we can set a time to scorch this earth and start with fresh logins, see new places, races, forge new houses, and so on. If it seems possible to keep our game data intact for months that will be great.
So we're having fun, still seeing bugs, and are helping the "mother ship" improve DnL. Cohhilition members if you are interested in PvE Dark and Light, come check us out, info is found in the first post on this thread.

And more of us are collecting chat/conversation on discord, join us! (details in first note of this thread, see https://www.cohhilition.com/threads/dar ... pve.18706/).

-Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:37 pm

[QUOTE="Cormical, post: 46541, member: 108474"]Is it possible to get Demolish timer enabled or will it be better to make specific requests with LOCs?
I know there's a single standing shabby hut on a few hills that sit uncompleted around the starter area.[/QUOTE]
I have (cautiously) enabled the demo timers and haven't seen clear indications it is working.

Alternatively, find me in game or post coordinates / ownership here, I'll consider that a 72 hour "claim attempt" on your part.

Ideally we'd have a ~10 day destruction timer on idle wood buildings, maybe 5-7d on thatch. I'm not certain what the current game engine is capable of in this department.
Doog. Call me Doog!
DoogenAC

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:36 pm

We have found our dedicated DnL PvE players. :) You all rock.

In the interest in maintaining a challenge and goals to attain, I've decided to:

Add what may become a weekly "tweak" to the top end achievements so that our max and nearing-max players continue to have a challenge to seek. And so please note that max levels for players, max levels distribution for pets, and the maximum pet levels to be attained through pet experience on our server may all be increased a small bit each week. Consider this your notice for an occasional trickle of in-game numerical achievements.

I've added a geometric set of new player levels. 127k, 180k, 260k, 400k are your new top four levels as you try to attain 77, Vildar. Expect your "75" to probably turn into 74 for a few hours. heh. (today's "max of 75" was around 149k, it's now 180k. I expect this affects exactly one of us. Expect 177 max to increase to 180 next week following a similarly geometric progression).

Max mob level is hopefully getting manipulated by my change of mob difficulty from 400% to 500%. I am uncertain if this will make more mobs cram into the space near level 120, or perhaps we'll get a new high level mob max. Expect more, harder monsters on the landscape. they have been a tad easy for this now experienced player base. If you see a new player, offer to help them, they could easily walk out of town and into a level 120 boar. Give a hand!

Expect as of 5pm today that you can now gain +45, up from +42 tamed monster levels through tamed pet experience gains. The last pet four levels are now 10.5k exp, 15k 25k and 50k exp and three new levels are available as of 5pm today.

I've reduced tamed monster health and attack from 2.0x to 1.8x; this still probably not enough, but you'll all have a chance to get more higher level tames, add in the extra 3 possible levels, and you can compensate a bit for this nerf. When players are hitting for 200-400 and pets can easily do 1k to 2k damage, pet output has been a bit too high. Setting this to 2x early on turned out to be too much, the game is simply too easy now if you are on a mid to very high level pet.

Overall these changes are set that, by design, are meant to "keep the challenge up."

On discord we have had some good discussions about balance. Remember, we are in early Access. There are no planned server, mob or construction wipes planned at this time, just to clarify that topic. I want these to be very few and very far in between and announced in advance unless the developers force a wipe upon us. If there are MAJOR content releases, that is a likely time for a wipe/restart. Again, none are planned by yours truly at this time.

If any of you are interested in participating in a DnL test server, I am also looking into whether or not the DnL server manager is stable with multiple DnL servers on the same computer. My current research and the feedback from the DnL forums appears to be "no." And in the future if it appears to work well, I'll attempt changes like these on a test server first before experimenting on you all.

Your flexibility and patience is most appreciated! We continue to experience, on average, one unplanned server crash daily. Server data saves are made every 15 minutes to mitigate their effect.

And in the "super fun" category, we are triggering dark invasions daily. They are experience and loot fests! Thank you 'Salad for starting a community chest for invasion items in the plains. Take a little, give a little!

Doog
Doog. Call me Doog!
TDUDrivetime

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:14 pm

[QUOTE="DoogenAC, post: 46561, member: 28065"]

Max mob level is hopefully getting manipulated by my change of mob difficulty from 400% to 500%. I am uncertain if this will make more mobs cram into the space near level 120, or perhaps we'll get a new high level mob max. Expect more, harder monsters on the landscape. they have been a tad easy for this now experienced player base. If you see a new player, offer to help them, they could easily walk out of town and into a level 120 boar. Give a hand!

Doog[/QUOTE]
I'm still only level 24 so this means me :D

Thanks again for the server Doog loving the game so far. :)

( In game name Bez )
Naughty_Z00T

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 pm

So fellow DnL adventurers,

With the help of Verm, I built a 1x7 long taming pen right by my cliff base by elven lagoon area. It works well and tamed a 88 Bargesh and 80 Panther last night. Also, right before bed, Verm dropped off a 68 Yeti for me to tame today. Hoping it is still there when I log in little later. You can use it if ya want. Just use a Griffon to pick up heavy creatures and drop in then climb ramps and fire Hook arrows. The 7 ceilings long is ideal since it breaks the hook arrow chords if creature runs away from you. PIN Code to door is 1111 (if you fall in).
DoogenAC

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:26 am

August 17, 2017 updates:
  • announced down time on discord
  • copied DnL files to faster SSD drive from magnetic drive
  • swung short cut links back and forth, confirmed both working.
  • Returned to DnLserver original file/execution; created a new server profile, imported all profile properties; point to new file hierarchy
  • editing existing server profile to +200 TCP/UDP ports for server, query and RCON. did NOT create NAT port forwarders for this configuration.
  • Renamed existing to DoogenationDnL-test, changed password, reduced number of concurrent users for that config to 12
  • server launch time is about the same; most time is spent processing data blocks, not loading from disk
  • Confirmed a "save" works using the auto-backup button, saves are slightly faster.
  • Reviewed server manager notes. Discord plugin is available, yay.
  • Configured a new discord channel for bot notifications, webhook to it. configured two notification profiles
  • tested discord plugin, evaluating text to speech for one of the profiles... likely going to turn it off after the novelty gets old
  • performed full shutdown and restart; wrapped up these notes.
Server is now running version 100.5309; patch notes are at https://www.playdnl.com/all/2017/0817/7479.html The emphasis appears to be around balancing spells' and weapons' damage to buildings. Note at least one spell's "ballistics" have been changed. Aim accordingly!

editing first/main post w/ updated status.

Please update your clients if they did not auto-download.
Doog. Call me Doog!
MoistGrover

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Ideas for future events:

Wyvern race - get a group of flyers together and plot out a course for them to take.

V-Rock sheep drop - make two 1x1 buildings with open roofs to fly over and drop sheep in. team with the most sheep after a timed amount wins

anyone else have any ideas?