Fallout 76 - Bad News

Glak18

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Looks like Fallout 76 will ONLY be available on Bethesda.net , no other digital client.

I am sure every one is aware already, but this makes me :cohhFeels:

Bad move for Bethesda when so many people are on the fence about FO76 already :cohhFail:
BarryCarlyon

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:05 am

Just add it to Steam as a "non steam game"

And it does seem of later that software vendors, want to stop people getting a slice of their pie.

Which is probably why we have ubi and ea trying to push their own clients, as they don't need or want steam to get in the way.

Might also work better for cross play between PC and Console if you cut out "steam".

It is about time Steam has some competition, we can only hope that this vendor specific clients actually can compete with Steam rather than just delivering the software.
Glak18

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 pm

The question I have is...is it really competition for Steam?

If most big game publishers do decide to host their own games as exclusives for their client, Valve did it with Half-Life 2, then the only competition for the most part is only the smaller developers, Indies and Shovelware games. Obviously the big boys are already leaning that way (EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc) then you have GOG, which I don't ever see CDP games going full exclusive on in the future. On top of that many games need their own launchers (Epic games , LoL, lots of MMO games, etc).

I definitely see the pros of having your own game hosted on their own clients (no fees, more profit, more control over updates/configuration, etc), but for gamers who love to dabble in all types of games that creates a lot of clients on a machine to manage. Then you have the possibility that a publisher decides they no longer want to support a game you purchased, now you have the legality of digital rights. I understand it is no different than Steam now, but in all honesty Steam has a solid foundation built which lessens the likelihood of that happening.

My thought process is....
This doesn't create competition for Valve one bit, only potential to lose out on hosting fees from games that go exclusive to a publishers client. If EA and Ubisoft didn't cause Valve to improve then why would Bethesda?

Now news has come out of Bethesda claiming this is ONLY for Fallout 76 because it is online, like ESO, but there is no question that if they consider it a success it will be only a matter of time before more and more games are exclusive.

Imagine if anytime you wanted to listen to music you had to open up a distributors player client and could not use universal applications such as iTunes or whatever.. I know there are many issues with Steam, but I don't want to go through the growing pains of every new launcher or client every time I play a new game. This is just my silly 2 cents.