World of Warcraft

Feel free to talk about anything and everything gaming related
MechaToast

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Does anyone play who wants to help a starter edition player get into the game more?

P.S. I don't have any money for battlechest or game time, so i'm really only playing until 20.
Rynea

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:42 am

Be aware that even if you do read questtexts and enjoy the scenery and all, that getting to 20 is perhaps 2-3 days max. Grouping up and all with these starter editions can be really annoying too. If you don't plan on getting the full game, you won't see all that much of the gameworld and might be having more fun going with a F2P game.

As WoW is not very group oriented, you will likely have the most fun with someone who either wants to start a new character anyways or another player with a started edition. My account is EU based so I can't really help you there, but good luck finding someone anyways.
MechaToast

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Rynea wrote:Be aware that even if you do read questtexts and enjoy the scenery and all, that getting to 20 is perhaps 2-3 days max. Grouping up and all with these starter editions can be really annoying too. If you don't plan on getting the full game, you won't see all that much of the gameworld and might be having more fun going with a F2P game.

As WoW is not very group oriented, you will likely have the most fun with someone who either wants to start a new character anyways or another player with a started edition. My account is EU based so I can't really help you there, but good luck finding someone anyways.
Do you have any F2P game suggestions that are very much like World of Warcraft?
Rynea

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Well WoW basically has all the parts that are very common in most games nowadays, so you find a lot of games that are similar to it.
I've heard that Runes of Magic should play very much like WoW, but I personally don't like this game a lot, dislike the graphics style.

Overall many games have a very typcial class based run around and quest experience, including Rift, Aion, Tera, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter among others. I'm not 100% sure which ones of them are currently free to play, I didn't keep track which ones went F2P and which ones did not though most should have switched in the past to a F2P model. What makes them so similar? Well, they are not exactly World of Warcraft, as Path of Exile is not Diablo, but they are all fantasy setting based, have the typical quests with mostly hunt and gather or courier stuff, the MMO part with an open world (even though I see it as small in all cases including WoW) as well as the typical raid end level content. WoW has the benefit that its old and has quite a bit of content built up already that some of the others don't and likely never will. On the other hand a starter edition won't get you anywhere near the end content, so you won't get beyond 5 man parties either way in WoW.

Each offers their own flair I guess, Guild Wars 2 has better graphics, Tera brings in freeform targeting, Rift has these open world 'rifts', Neverwinter brings the Forge to add custom stuff, Aion is a bit more asian style with angelic things. If none of these spark your interest and it has to be WoW, I might be able to get you a MoP Account with a month of gametime for WoW, but as I'm EU time based I can't promise anything in regards to being around when you are or any serious effort to really play myself. Obviously after that month you'd be stuck on your own again with the question of continuing.

BR, Ryn
MechaToast

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Rynea wrote:Well WoW basically has all the parts that are very common in most games nowadays, so you find a lot of games that are similar to it.
I've heard that Runes of Magic should play very much like WoW, but I personally don't like this game a lot, dislike the graphics style.

BR, Ryn
Thank you so much for these explanations and helping me out in general rynea. It's a great help, and I'm glad you're helping me through this. I do really want to try WoW, but I will probably try at a later time. Thanks for the offer you made though! I'm not sure what MMO I really want to play though at the moment.