Tips for Beginners

Cohhilition information for our arm in Final Fantasy XIV!
MsYutai

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi Cohhians,

In light of digital sales starting again, I thought it might be helpful to post some things I've found that would be useful to someone starting out in Eorzea!

Quickly switch to a chat using keyboard combinations:
Tell - Alt+r (multiple times scrolls through past tells)
Party - Alt+p
Free Company - Alt+f
Linkshell - Alt+l
Say - Alt+s
Shout - Alt+h
Yell - Alt+y (untested)
You can also preface your text with /p, /fc, /s, /sh, etc.

Block that gilseller (or whoever just sent you a tell):
/blist add <r>

Leave a group:
/leave

Sprint macro:
/macroicon "Sprint"
/ac "Sprint" <me>
/wait 30
/ac "Sprint" <me>
/wait 30
/ac "Sprint" <me>
/wait 30
/ac "Sprint" <me>
/wait 30
/ac "Sprint" <me>
/wait 30
/ac "Sprint" <me>
/wait 30
/ac "Sprint" <me>
/wait 30
/echo RECAST SPRINT MACRO

Save gil on Teleport:
You get 3 "Favorite" Aetheryte destinations-- the teleport cost is halved for these locations!! When you right-click the Aetheryte you can "Set as Registered Destination". I recommend setting them wherever you find yourself wanting to TP to the most. Mine are set at Quarrymill, Horizon, and Aleport.

Crafting PSA:
Do not use Quick Synthesis!! I was doing this thinking it was a way to save me time but someone wisely informed me that you get almost NO experience for quick synth's! I wasted a lot of mats doing that!

Vendors are awesome! (low level):
Most items can be found at the vendor! Do NOT spend your gil at the Market!! I have sold things vendors sell on the Market for 10x the price. Don't be that (now poor) guy!! It turns out you can buy most items pre-level 15 at the vendor. It's also worth noting that you can buy some things on the Market for less than the vendor price!

Keybinding tips:
If you have a hard time clicking NPCs when there's a crowd of people around them, Hit ESC -> Keybinds, Look for the one for selecting the nearest NPC. I bound it to Shift+Tab.
Also if you want to skip through NPC text really quickly using the keyboard you can change the Confirm keybinding from Num 0. I set mine to Enter.

Feel free to post your newbie-friendly tips!
J4ko

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm

MsYutai wrote: Keybinding tips:
If you have a hard time clicking NPCs when there's a crowd of people around them, Hit ESC -> Keybinds, Look for the one for selecting the nearest NPC. I bound it to Shift+Tab.
You can also just use Num 0 to select the NPC you're standing in front of. No rebinding needed.