XIV Names - How did you get yours?

Cohhilition information for our arm in Final Fantasy XIV!
Snerdly

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:02 pm

I've always been interested in the character names people pick. There are usually some interesting stories behind the names, so I though I'd ask you to share your story.

I'm Isobel Ahloh'bee, and I'm a Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun. I played FFXI for over 7 years, and I had a Mithra on the Titan server (Karasu LS) named Isobel. BTW, it's pronounced "E-so-bell". Anyhow, I named her after a song by Bjork. And Ahloh'bee I got from my daughter... when she tries to say "I love you", it comes out as "Ahloh'bee". I thought that sounded like a good Miqo'te name.

My other character is a Legacy character. It was a Miqo'te, but I turned her into a male Lalafell Dunesfolk named Von Bon'dookie. When I was about 7, my best friend kept a little ball that he'd gotten from a plastic mistletoe decoration in his pocket, and he called it his Von Bon Dookie. Since Lalafell are small enough to put in your pocket, I thought that would be a good name for him.
Devv13

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:31 am

Mine is easy. My wife makes my MMO characters because her favorite part of any game is the character creation. So I am stuck with whatever she makes (unless I can get her to name the characters Devv or Durzo). She aparently used latin terms for Moon and A Celestial Body for Luna Celesta.
Twitch = Devv13
FFXIV = Luna Celesta
Eve = Durzo Blintt, Kailah Blintt
LoL = Devv13, Devv03
Most other games = variation of Devv
smokewagen

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I've used smokewagen or varients of that its actually a nickname I had for my first car, A diesel Volkswagen rabbit.. cruisin in style baby ;)
KinjiBlackstone

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:05 am

My name Kinji Blackstone came from a time long ago----. LOL I got the name from my old AD&D days I had a lvl 99 Helf-Elf Mage . My friend who has left us all to soon had giving my character the name. I have used it for every game I play or at lest I use the Kinji part
Krinne

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Niakes is the name of a city from a text based roleplay I've been running for a bit (it has a sister city called Sekain, which I almost went with, but it reminded me too much of Kain from FFIV, which I was trying to avoid). I couldn't think of anything at the time so I went with that. The surname is a random one, since again, I couldn't think of anything. If they ever come out with name changes, I plan on shortening up the first name (since people call me that now), and respelling the surname.
Dahkoht

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Not fantasy based , but my daughter's name is Dakota , so figured Dahkoht sounded like a good fantasy version of the name. Last name Lewin which is close to our real last name (and also from the Wheel of Time series).
Daisyrawks

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm

My character's name is Seven Mine which is a reference to the character 7 of 9 from Star Trek: Voyager. There's an episode in the 5th season where a guest aboard the ship gets blind drunk and refers to 7 as Seven of Mine. It always makes me giggle and 7 is my favorite ST character, so it became a name I use a lot in games.
sembai

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:40 am

My character's name first name Aninsem comes from misspelled username Anisem which again comes from words anime and from sembai which again is misspelled senpai. Her last name Boldelin is something I think is pretty good english/fantasy version of my real life last name.
RedLsnake

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:56 am

my character name came from a group of people i used to play whit they all had like a colour and a animal name in it that's why i picked RedLsnake
angelofragnarok

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:13 pm

My character, Katia Arasfell, comes from an anime character and a reference to the Dunesfolk Lalafell. Katia is the name of a character from Fantasista Doll who is small, but full of personality and strength. Arasfell struck me as something that sounds like the Dunesfolk.
Wash

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:22 am

My name is pretty simple. The name Wash ManBlast has a fun story.

I've been told that I look an awful lot like Alan Tudyk. He plays my favorite character in the TV show firefly "Wash". It's also my nickname my old quidditch team in college gave me.

ManBlast was the last name I gave to an assault class character in XCOM: enemy Unknown. His name was Dash ManBlast. I thought it sounded funny so I went ahead and used it.

I picked the Miq'Ote because it reminds me of my favorite character from my favorite Final Fantasy. Zidane from FF9.

Nerdy yes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. ^_^
heartlink

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 am

I actually did something odd, and didn't end up using my common MMO screen name. The name just didn't feel right for the character image I had created, so I used my 'Brony' name. My favorite class in Final Fantasy has always been the white mage and planned to lvl it first, so I wanted a softer sounding name to reflect my preferred play style
Scorpio1401

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 am

I chose the name Scorpia Blaize, I'm always known as Scorpio in most online places and Scorpio doesn't really go with women avatars (which I like to play on MMOs for some strange reason ... giggity) but I chose Blaize because fire is my favorite element (no, I'm no pyro either), and Blaze is always taken but I spell it deffently cause it looks cooler ... or should I say hotter Kappa.
Brought to you by the
Image :D
Madaccordion

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Over the years I've used many names for gaming until recently where I settled on the name, Angry Accordion, since it was the first one I'd actually put any real thought into. The "Angry" part mainly stems for my love of really loud, angry music (metal, grunge, etc.). As for "Accordion", I've always considered myself a socially awkward person, and have the personal viewpoint that the accordion is an awkward musical instrument. I simply put 2 and 2 together and there you have it. I shortened the name down to Mad Accordion after playing some games that restricted the number of characters for names allowed. Exit stage left.