1st PC Build

H3ll0J3ll0

i found a guy with a similar problem he tried everything nothing worked so he RMAd(returning it) the card and he got a new one so i suggest that you do that too.
Eschaap

Ok, I will try that. Hope that's the problem. And fix :-)
Ashardis

Did you remember to plug in the power cables to the GPU?

Did you remember to put in BOTH power cables from the PSU to the Mobo - Both the 20+4 pin wide one with lots of colors and the 4+4 one with only black n yellow cables?

Is there any wires or anything blocking the fans, either on the GPU, CPU or PSU?

Did you remember to put cooling paste between the CPU and the CPU cooler?
Did you remember to peel off the plastic at the bottom of the CPU cooler so the metal could contact the CPU (via the cooling paste)?

Will the PC shut down even with the case having a side open?
Eschaap

Yes I plugged in the power cable in the gpu. Both LEDs are green
Both cables are in the mobo
Almost all the wires run trough the back of the case so no blockage
Put paste on the cpu
Removed the plastic
Yes the pc will shut down with the case open
I did the cinebench CPU test and at 100% load during the test the temp was at 42 degrees Celcius. Test went fine.
On normal usage the pc runs fine. Only when I try something that asks more of the gpu like playing landmark/ benchmark test. The gpu crashes. I think.

I put the psu with the labels up/fan down in the case. Could that be it?
Ashardis

Not unless you keep the case without any feet and standing on a soft surface so the airflow below the case is restricted.

I would say that, if there's airflow for the PSU, you need to look at either the GPU or PSU.

Since the PSU is by far the cheapest, I would start there and maybe get a replacement or an upgrade - either to a different brand or 800W+ - just in case that this is it.

The Corsair PSU SHOULD be able to handle the load of the GPU, but maybe it can't.

If this replacement solves nothing, then it's time to look at the GPU (just as a quick measure, be sure that the GPU fans are ALL spinning).. bad things can happen in manufacture and transport..

I once had an expensive GFXcard that had been knocked about and the cooling paste had dislodged.. so there was 0.5-1mm airgap between cooling profile n GPU.. instant GPU fritz when loaded up. - I also had a miniITX board with an onboard CPU.. where ASUS had been so kind as to NOT remove the plastic under the manufacturer-plant-placed CPU cooler..
So - bad things CAN happen without it being your fault :)

Btw - can you take some pictures of the inside of your build, then it would maybe be easier to "spot that obvious error", if it exists :)
H3ll0J3ll0

ashardis no flippin' way that it is too little poweroutput from the psu you should be able to run a 780 from a 500w with no problem,as i said rma the card first before buying a new psu if its a fault within the card you get a new card and wont have to spend anything and if it isnt you have to pay them about 50$ and you get the card back plus you know that it isnt the gfx but if you buy a new psu you are looking at 150$ and if it is the gpu that is the you just waisted 150$ and still havent got any wiser. So like i said rma it and then go form there,
Ashardis

h3ll0j3ll0 wrote:ashardis no flippin' way that it is too little poweroutput from the psu you should be able to run a 780 from a 500w with no problem,as i said rma the card first before buying a new psu if its a fault within the card you get a new card and wont have to spend anything and if it isnt you have to pay them about 50$ and you get the card back plus you know that it isnt the gfx but if you buy a new psu you are looking at 150$ and if it is the gpu that is the you just waisted 150$ and still havent got any wiser. So like i said rma it and then go form there,
In theory, yes! However the startupcurrent from the big GPU-sections might be too much for weaker PSUs - even rated @ 750W's. I've used Corsair 750W successfully in the past - Actually the 780Ti that's in NobodyXD's pc that I built ~2 weeks ago runs on a Corsair 750W..

and it all depends on what Eschaap's situation is, how far to the shop or if it's all via RMA & the postoffice n whatnot. The PSU replacement is an afforable test thing that could be done TOMORROW without robbing a bank and should be available in most decent pc hardware stores..
This also means that tomorrow Eschaap COULD know exactly whether it's the PSU or the GFX since everything else works just fine - as opposed to Mailorder RMA which could take 1-2weeks..
Eschaap

Got 1 image with pc turned off

I'm not close to the store where I bought it. But maybe I can get a friends psu to test my build. If that works I will contact the store for a RMA procedure for the gfx
Thnx guys
Eschaap

Ashardis wrote:Not unless you keep the case without any feet and standing on a soft surface so the airflow below the case is restricted.

I would say that, if there's airflow for the PSU, you need to look at either the GPU or PSU.

Since the PSU is by far the cheapest, I would start there and maybe get a replacement or an upgrade - either to a different brand or 800W+ - just in case that this is it.

The Corsair PSU SHOULD be able to handle the load of the GPU, but maybe it can't.

If this replacement solves nothing, then it's time to look at the GPU (just as a quick measure, be sure that the GPU fans are ALL spinning).. bad things can happen in manufacture and transport..

I once had an expensive GFXcard that had been knocked about and the cooling paste had dislodged.. so there was 0.5-1mm airgap between cooling profile n GPU.. instant GPU fritz when loaded up. - I also had a miniITX board with an onboard CPU.. where ASUS had been so kind as to NOT remove the plastic under the manufacturer-plant-placed CPU cooler..
So - bad things CAN happen without it being your fault :)

Btw - can you take some pictures of the inside of your build, then it would maybe be easier to "spot that obvious error", if it exists :)
That's terrible. And difficult to find with such a small gap :-(
Ashardis

Yeah - but they did accept it as a fault and no problem with getting a new one from the store.

And - If the whole machine works with a different PSU, then it's the PSU that needs replacement (coz of a defective part).. if it's STILL shutting down, then the GFX has the problem (90% sure) and you should initiate RMA for the GPU.
Eschaap

Yeah but it's such a pain in the *** with the RMA and such. I was so happy to get everything installed and working.
Then this problem occurred :(
Btw. Thnx for getting the pics in. Couldn't get it on mobile :D
H3ll0J3ll0

well im probably used to the luxury of super fast
rma here in sweden, but i understand your point psu goes faster but rma is cheaper.
Ashardis

I've been there so many times, eschaap.. or.. that's the "funny" part.. remembering the like.. hmm.. 7-8 times it went wrong and not really the ~100+ machines I've made where everything has worked perfectly..

It's like buying a big awesome cake at the bakery, going home with it, smelling it, looking at it.. and then on the doorstep you trip and there's cake all over :(

I promise you, there WILL be cake !!! Eventually :P
Ashardis

h3ll0j3ll0 wrote:well im probably used to the luxury of super fast
rma here in sweden, but i understand your point psu goes faster but rma is cheaper.
Well, depending on how understanding the store selling the PSU is, they might be willing to let you hand it back in, either for money back or store credit.. or if Eschaap can borrow his friends PSU, that'll help immensely with finding the fault aswell..
Sometimes it's just not "worth" the hassle of RMA'ing something that doesn't cost that much (if the PSU is to blame) vs. time/postage/frustration of not having a new pc for ~2 weeks..
Eschaap

Hmm Cake :rolleyes: i'm hoping for that.
Can't wait to play some of the amazing games out there :D
Eschaap

Ashardis wrote:I've been there so many times, eschaap.. or.. that's the "funny" part.. remembering the like.. hmm.. 7-8 times it went wrong and not really the ~100+ machines I've made where everything has worked perfectly..

It's like buying a big awesome cake at the bakery, going home with it, smelling it, looking at it.. and then on the doorstep you trip and there's cake all over :(

I promise you, there WILL be cake !!! Eventually :p
And it's my first build. So was hoping everything would be fine, but...... :(
H3ll0J3ll0

yeah if he can borrow it that is ofc what he should do, well you know what to do now,i hope it goes well.
Eschaap

Its been awhile, but the store has send me a new graphics card. i just installed it and it looks like that was it. i run the cinebench test where it crashed before. and got a score of 136,4 fps. so that looked ok. tried to run landmark and that also worked :)
Now all i have to do is work on my cable management and im done :p

thnx for your advice and help when it didnt work. you both are BAMF's :D :cool:
H3ll0J3ll0

Gj and have a blast
Eschaap

Thnx,

Played archeage al afternoon with high settings and not a single problem accured.

I'm so happy now :) :D :D :cool: