Ok my Desktop needs an upgrade *Finished Build!*

pumaoblivion

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Ok my old Core 2 Duo computer is slowly running down even Landmark does not run well on it, I am on somewhat of a budget, however I want to try and get a good of enough computer to run stuff on higher settings (Im getting sick of running stuff on Normal or lower) Hard Drives are not a problem I got three on my old one which will be transfered, one of those drives is an Intel 128gb SSD which runs slow on my old desktop I went to part picker and did some thrift shopping and I want some feedback (I want to keep price low as possible without killing performance as much as I can do)

Here is the link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2WbLu

This is an Intel build which is a little more expensive http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Wcpn
Ahven1

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

If you are on a tight budged might wanna go with a air cooler instead of using money on the H60 also 8 gigs of ram is enough for gaming. I would go with the intel one.
Also if you are not planning for a SLI or Crossfire setup the power supply a overkill....600w i good enough.

CPU
Image Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $212.99
CPU Cooler
Image Silverstone AR03 81.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $49.99

$5.00 mail-in rebate
Motherboard
Image MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.99
Memory
Image Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99
Add Additional Memory
Storage Choose Storage
Video Card
Image MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card $234.99
Add Another Video Card For 2-Way CrossFire
Case
Image Raidmax ATX-298WU ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99

$15.00 mail-in rebate
Power Supply
Image Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99

Total = 730$
pumaoblivion

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Ok well I had to change my video card to a different company due to the one I selected was sold out when I looked on there site, however if it does become available I will get that one if it is that price later

So far the build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2WoiF

I have three drives I plan to transfer to my new one

1x 128gig Intel SSD
1x 1TB
1x 1.5TB
Ashardis

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:58 am

I will add this to the mix - the R9 AMD cards are too expensive vs. performance compared to nVidia alternatives.. blame bitcoin miners for driving the prices up.

You can get a 760GTX for the same (or a great selection of slightly OC'd ones for $250) as the R9 270X and the GTX760 is a slightly faster card for games (although, not for bitcoin mining :( ) - so that's that..

Also - the watercooling circuit on the CPU - NOT the most budget friendly option and depending on case - not the best solution at all!
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-mas ... 212e20pkr2 <-- that's an allround budget & awesome cooler that I've used in several builds - It'll keep the CPU cool without damaging eardrums or expending your wallet - only thing to be wary of is the 159mm clearance height, so it's not for the slimmer cases - but your raidmax case should work fine
pumaoblivion

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Awesome Ashardis you are a BOSS

Updated Price atm $718 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2WLLD
Ashardis

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 pm

One final comment - maybe consider getting a larger PSU if you truly want to double up on gfx later.. or atleast know that you'll need to replace the PSU aswell at that time. For possible GTX760 SLI, 750W is fine :) http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power ... 20pb0750kr <-- this would work great - it's even semi-modular for easy cabling layout and at the same price as the "old" PSU :)
pumaoblivion

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Fixed and noted thanks bro

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2WUNb
pumaoblivion

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Ok final update figured if I do the upgrades now it wouldnt cost so much down the road so upgraded the Motherboard to a SLI one, costs more but gives me a piece of mind that I wont have to buy a new one later

Here is the list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33ltf

small update
Ashardis

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Looks really good, Puma!!
pumaoblivion

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:37 am

Now I just got to wait for tax returns and maybe some stuff will go on sale if im lucky
Ahven1

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:40 am

Good luck Puma hope you get a big tax return ! :cool:
ethelsia

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:53 am

Nice, happy building! :) there's a promo on that case on newegg, not sure if that's permanent :)
pumaoblivion

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I got my returns done and I have enough coming back to do this, I have a old camera that has the ability to transfer photos to my computer so when I get the returns and parts I will (If I remember to do so) post some pics of the build in progress and the final completed project, the only thing I forgot to put on that list is thermal paste since I am using an aftermarket cooler, however I can get some when I am ready to go.
pumaoblivion

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Update: Federal Return came today buying parts now

Update #2 : All parts ordered just waiting for all of it to come in

Update #3 : Ok well this is the final parts list with a few changes plus some Thermal Paste which was not added but bought with the heatsink http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33BWq

Update #4 : All parts have been shipped hope to get this together start of next week, hopefully before I get my copy of Titanfall :D

Update #5 : Ok I have almost everything in my posession except for two things which are the video card and the aftermarket heat sink and thermal paste I ordered and looking at the inside of the case I worry about the heatsink fitting, I hope it's just me having nerves, cause it would suck having spent $40 for the heatsink and thermal paste and the heatsink dont fit. but until they show up I wont be putting this together.

Update#6 : Heatsink and Thermal Paste came today and my video card comes in tomorrow so the next time I post on this I will show pictures and some of the build as well. Only thing that worries me is applying the thermal paste onto the CPU I have screwed that up before and ruined a CPU, as for the Heat Sink is should fit in the case... barely but I am planning to do a push/pull setup on that since I have one fan in the old computer which should work, if not buying a few fans to add in this (Which should be fine)

Tomorrow afternoon I put the system together and maybe get back in time to benchmark some stuff after I get the OS back in
pumaoblivion

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Ok I started working on the components I had about 11:30AM this morning which helped alot when I noticed that the standoffs were not working correctly on the case when I put in the motherboard, good news is I actually got the screws in and it runs fine as I am working on it here, I think when I get some money again I might get a full tower case (A good one cause this one is actually SMALLER than my old mid tower case was, none the less the Video Card came in today and I removed the wrong places in the back the sucky part of that is once I remove one, you cant put one back, the second thing is when putting in the video card the back part of the PCI express slot broke, good news is that it was just something to hold the card down, I put screws in the end to support the giant card and it seems to run fine, so I will be keeping an eye on everything to make sure things still run smoothly.

As for the aftermarket heatsink, it fit, barely, there is some room between the case cover and the heatsink itself however it kinda blocks the fan port on the side panel, no big issues there.

Other than that things seem to be going well at the moment now I got over 800 meg of windows updates to download so I am going to get on that now.

See you guys for Titanfall, when I get it on the 13th.

- Puma
Ashardis

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Good to hear that things went somewhat unproblematic !!

The side fan port blockage isn't a big issue, unless there's a fan there and it's jammed :)
The 212 is a big guy and demands it's space.. I have just over 1" of clearance between the top of the "pipes" and my case side.

And why do you want a BIG BIG case? :)
Enjoy your Windows Updates!

Great with an update!
pumaoblivion

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Good question Ashardis, Let me make this simple, I dont have much room on the side of my desk that I put my computer on however it seems it might be possible for one simple reason my mid-tower is smaller than my old one, however if I do some homework and check if I can put one in there I will but it wont be until summer when I get back to work. and honestly if I can get a bigger case I think cable management will be alot better, cause there was hardly any room in this one to fix the cables.

Other than that I kinda wish I bought a more sturdy case. Ah well that can be fixed rather easy when I get the money
pumaoblivion

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Good news I used RealTemp and Prime95 to stress the cpu to make sure if I did the paste and cooler right, and at 100% load the temp peaked at 60 C which is awesome and then I did a benchmark for the Video Card with Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0 and the benchmark I pushed the setting close to max and got an average FPS of 52.9 which is excellent for me the last time I did this was with my old computer and barely got 20 FPS.

So the video card works fine and I did the application of thermal paste right so I am happy, now I am ready for gaming again and ready to crank the settings to 11 (Yeah I said it)
Ahven1

Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Sounds Awsome Pumaoblivion ......happy gaming moments with the new rig !!! :cool:

Maybe few finished shots of the pc if you can ? :D
pumaoblivion

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:25 pm

When I get a chance to take some and upload them I will