New PC build

WolfenJosh

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Here is a link to the computer I will be building (twice) for myself and my wife. This is my first build in years and if anyone has any suggestions or comments on any forseeable tricky spots, please let me know. Other than that all comments welcomed as well!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wolfenjosh/saved/47G7

Ed: I have all the parts currently bought or ordered, but none opened yet, so if absolutely necessary I can return pretty much anything.
Ashardis

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:30 pm

If you would read the stickied post and copy/paste it as a response with the answers, we'll be able to help you more :)
Ashardis

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:16 pm

I clicked the links and it kindda tells the story.

First of all - You could go with a intel Haswell i5-4670 and a Z87 chipset mobo (AsRock Z87 Pro3) for exactly the same price as the other cpu/mobo combo, so that is what I would recommend.
I don't know why you bother with the watercooling of the CPU, but /shrug.

What really makes me go *hmmm* is the gfx.. while the 7870 is no slouch and especially not in Xfire, I would SOO much prefer getting a GTX770 instead. Newer technology, no CrossFire potential problems/driver issues since it's only 1 card, lower noise and power consumption overall with an on-par price and same-same performance - EXCEPT that the GTX770 would be better at handling higher resolutions/high detail textures since it comes with 3GB (or more) RAM (the dual 7870 will only appear to have 2GB ram since each card needs the same textures n whatnot).

I would also recommend getting a 256GB SSD instead of a 120GB one (but sticking with the 840EVo since you're on a budget and they're the best $/performance/GB atm) - I'll send you a private msg :)
WolfenJosh

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:34 pm

As for the Intel i5 processor and mobo, I like Asus mobos and those are pretty much locked into AMD. The processor that I chose is dollar for dollar the best in its class by far by AMD. The watercooling is in case I want to overclock later because I want this comp to last at least 5 years with minimum upgrading.

Thanks for the advice on the graphics cards too. I will consider it, but the 7870 has great reviews and I have not looked at the one you suggested specifically. I will look into it however.

Thanks again!
pdxmozzarella

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:46 pm

One of the main concerns I have for your computer is the fact that you are buying a 650W PSU. If you're gonna be using 2 GPUs and overclocking stuff then the minimum that someone should probably have is like... 800 - 850W IMO. The video cards you want are getting to be fairly old, I'd agree with Ashardis and snag 770s. They are more expensive, I have 2 of them and I'm loving them. It all depends on what type of computer you're trying to build. Is it a budget gaming computer or are you looking to build something that you can keep for a few years and still be able to compete with newer stuff?
Ashardis

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:58 pm

650W is really enough for both 2x7870 or 770.. if you put in a Watt-meter in the plug and connect the PC through it, it'll show < 400W usage..
pdxmozzarella

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:24 pm

I'll buy one because it's good to have but honestly a person would have to factor in EVERYTHING that is drawing power. Keyboard, Mouse, Fans, GPU(s), CPU(s), RAM, Watercooling pump(if applicable). It all adds up and if you start overclocking stuff then that's just going to draw more power. Now, I'm not saying that a 650W can't run this stuff, but the more you go to maxing out your PSU then the quicker is gonna poop out. As a rule of thumb that I tend to go by, and Ashardis may disagree with me on this, is that whatever the half point is that the PSU is rated to handle (650/2 = 325) then that is how much of it you should probably be staying around to best efficiently use your PSU. I have a Corsair AX1200 and use probably 750 of that. The closer you can get to using half of your PSU the better.

It's best to go to http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine and check out what the minimum amount of watts your PSU should be able to handle. Whatever number you get, I would try to double it if it's in your budget. If you show 550W, which is what I get when I plug in your information, I would try to go with a 1100W power supply +/- 100W.

It's all up to you, this is merely just a suggestion if you want to start overclocking and want to use your PSU most efficiently.
WolfenJosh

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Pdx, I understand where you are coming from, but from what I read, a power supply is most efficient at 70-80% of its maximum output. Now according to the site my power load will be approximately 600 watts. That is a bit on the high end of the 650 supplied by the PSU, but it is covered. Your doubling the base power needed is overkill IMO.

If I could find a silver-standard or better PSU at 800 watts, I would use it but they are all too expensive - we are over budget as it is at this point but we think will be happy enough with the computers to eat cheaper the next couple weeks lol..

As for your other question, we are trying to build budget computers that will at least RUN the games that we want to play for the next few years while saving money for a house down payment. We don't really play top-end high-speed FPS's, so I am thinking that the graphics cards we have - especially when crossfired together - will do.
Ashardis

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:51 pm

pdxmozzarella wrote:I'll buy one because it's good to have but honestly a person would have to factor in EVERYTHING that is drawing power. Keyboard, Mouse, Fans, GPU(s), CPU(s), RAM, Watercooling pump(if applicable). It all adds up and if you start overclocking stuff then that's just going to draw more power. Now, I'm not saying that a 650W can't run this stuff, but the more you go to maxing out your PSU then the quicker is gonna poop out. As a rule of thumb that I tend to go by, and Ashardis may disagree with me on this, is that whatever the half point is that the PSU is rated to handle (650/2 = 325) then that is how much of it you should probably be staying around to best efficiently use your PSU. I have a Corsair AX1200 and use probably 750 of that. The closer you can get to using half of your PSU the better.

It's best to go to http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine and check out what the minimum amount of watts your PSU should be able to handle. Whatever number you get, I would try to double it if it's in your budget. If you show 550W, which is what I get when I plug in your information, I would try to go with a 1100W power supply +/- 100W.

It's all up to you, this is merely just a suggestion if you want to start overclocking and want to use your PSU most efficiently.
I put the OP PCbuild into your calculator and it spit out 507W.. and I'd still say it's pretty conservative.. and wearing both belt and suspenders.. and an antigrav platform :P

pdxmozzarella - I'd be REALLY interested if you could get/borrow a Watt-meter and plug it into your socket and see how much your PC actually draws from teh wallsocket during maxload :) So SuperPI/Burnintest + some GFX benchmark aswell. I think you'll be surprised as well :P
Ashardis

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:51 pm

WolfenJosh wrote:Pdx, I understand where you are coming from, but from what I read, a power supply is most efficient at 70-80% of its maximum output. Now according to the site my power load will be approximately 600 watts. That is a bit on the high end of the 650 supplied by the PSU, but it is covered. Your doubling the base power needed is overkill IMO.

If I could find a silver-standard or better PSU at 800 watts, I would use it but they are all too expensive - we are over budget as it is at this point but we think will be happy enough with the computers to eat cheaper the next couple weeks lol..
80plus Bronze guarantees that it's atleast 82.5% efficient.. :) Please the read the stickied post in this PC tech subforum :)
pdxmozzarella

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Give me a bit and I'll do just that, if not for my own sake then for the sake of our discussion. Once I get my waterblocks for my video cards in and I overclock my stuff to a stable build I'll be happy to tell you how much I'm using. I don't think it'll be anything crazy but I'm willing to wager that the power used will be about 60% - 70% of my PSU rating.
Ashardis

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:25 pm

I'll think ~450W, maybe 500W tops!
Ashardis

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Also remember that if you read 500W on the Wattmeter - and you have a PSU that's really good (eg. 90% efficiency) then your PC is only really demanding ~455W..
Southernslummin

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:35 pm

So we finished the build (we being Southernslummin and wolfenjosh). We ended up just sticking with the build that was posted above b/c we ended up getting deals on the parts at microcenter. For my first build everything went very smooth and I am very proud of what I was able to do. This is the first computer that I have built and been able to do and play all the games that I want it too. I want to thanks for all the assistance and education from the community as it was a huge learning experience for me(Southernslummin) :) The pick kinda sucks but wasn't feeling good so didn't want to pick it up. Will do better pics later. Also, please excuse the cable management I was super concerned with them being omg everywhere but the case has super ventilation so not really worried on that aspect.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/wolfenjosh/saved/47G7

[ATTACH=full]377[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1379980_10151935097886350_1390532327_n.jpg
biggestmexi

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:49 pm

WolfenJosh wrote:As for the Intel i5 processor and mobo, I like Asus mobos and those are pretty much locked into AMD. The processor that I chose is dollar for dollar the best in its class by far by AMD. The watercooling is in case I want to overclock later because I want this comp to last at least 5 years with minimum upgrading.
I know this is a bit old, but what do you mean that ASUS mobos are locked into AMD?

And water cooling isn't necessary for overclocking. You could have not bought that, gone Intel, and then maybe down the road get a new cooler.
Southernslummin

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:55 pm

We didn't overclock and actually have no plans too. We got the cooler b/c wolfenjosh's last pc was a portable heater at times and it was suggested by a friend so we tried it. The only thing we plan on doing probably a year or two down the road is add 2 more sticks of ram.
Ashardis

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:56 pm

It is done - it is working and running just fine - so awesome job you two (Southernslummin n WolfenJosh) !!

Good to see finished builds and WORKING builds!