The Flynn-bomb is in need of assistance!

CommanderFlynn

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:06 pm

For reference, my current build is the following:

Windows 7 64-bit
GTX 760
8GB of RAM
Intel i5-2500k @ 3.30GHz

Now I had be debating on upgrading the CPU to an i5 4430 but seems to only run at 3.0GHz (I don't plan on OCing, I have little knowledge on how and would rather not risk it) Seems to be the only upgrade I'm looking at minus a Motherboard.

I was also curious on people's opinions on headsets and such. I've always gone with headsets because they tend to include a microphone and be less likely to pick up game sound. And I was recently looking at the Razer Kraken 7.1 - mostly for the fact the Microphone is digital instead of analogue - and also because I like their gear :p . but I know a friend that also swears by using an Technica ATH-M50 and an expensive microphone along with a sound-card.

Any help is appreciated :)
I'm a gamer and I'm trying to become a novelist - albeit it's being very very slow.
But hey - never give up right?
And when in doubt, just keep swimming! =D
Ashardis

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:26 pm

In order to "upgrade" the CPU, you would need to swap mobo's around aswell, as your Ivy Bridge 2500K runs socket 1156 while the latest Haswell runs socket 1150 - so no, not a major super duper woohoo upgrade and a tad costly for a very minor performance gain in regard to gaming (you'd be much better off OC'ing the 2500K on your current mobo :P )

For headsets.. it's really what you like. The big difference is when it comes to USB vs. Traditional 3.5mm minijack plugged ones.
Coz I'm a techgeek, I prefer USB headsets since they convert the mic signal to digital inside the left earmuff meaning there's VERY little chance of picking up a lot of eletronic static on the way in comparison to minijacked headsets who had to run the long wire to the plugs on the back of the PC (or front).
Higher quality headsets ofc have higher quality shielded cables n whatnot, but still.
There's also the headset w. mic vs. speakers + external table (or boom) mic discussion - Imho it also breaks down to how much noise you want in your environment - parents/flatmates/significant others complaining about the speaker sound - in these cases it'll be safer with a headset for sound out.
Sound recording is another matter. My usual complaint with headset mic's is that they're prone to picking up a lot of "air" - we've all heard "that guy" on TS/Vent/Mumble/Raidcall who just can't adjust his mic to NOT pick up his mouthbreathing n whatnot. A table/boom mic can be placed further away so it won't be in the airstream, yet still pick up your voice.
I use a cheapskate $10 Logitech analogue tablemic (although it IS kindda stereo-balanced) alongside my speakers and I have no troubles getting a decent signal, noiseless and clear, recorded.

In regards to a soundcard - you're better off spending good money on a mic than a seperate soundcard, imho.
If you wanna buy a big 7.1 USB Digital Headset, you go for that aswell!
CommanderFlynn

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 pm

and that's why I love you Ashardis :p
I did more digging, alot of people love the Digital Microphone on the Kraken, and as I mentioned (I think) it's really my main point.
I might go for it, but we'll see. No use having a fancy headset if I can't play the latest games with the Cohhalition!
I'm a gamer and I'm trying to become a novelist - albeit it's being very very slow.
But hey - never give up right?
And when in doubt, just keep swimming! =D
Ahven1

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:34 am

Agree with Ashardis about the hardware. Ashardis is a wiz with this stuff. :D
I ordered my self steelseries siberian v2 headset tho got one that has 3.5m jacks that you dont like Ashardis...it has gotten good reviews and stuff. There are some ppl who recomend getting a headphones and a usb mic. About the headset mic picking up breathing i guess u can use push to talk or just find a good distance from your mouth so it dosent pick it up. CommanderFlynn if you are going to overclock you need to have aftermarket cooler if you dont have one.
Ashardis

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:29 am

It's not that I don't like 3.5mm jack plugs - it's just that usually cheap and medium priced headsets don't bother with adequate shielding and because a modern PC is an electronically noisy beast (and mic's are sensitive) that's a bad combo.
Eg. Cohh's Blue Yeti is USB - BUT you can get really nice results with full analog pro mics also since they use heavily shielded cables with their connectors.

Again it depends on what you're trying to do - for ordinary game comms - both analog & USB : Adjust the mic so there's no mouthbreathing AND then adjust the Mic Boost (as low as possible while maintaining some level) & Volume so there's no clipping (you sound like you've been through a bass guitar distortion pedal).

For streaming, you should consider a table mic/boom mic (preferably USB) with a pop filter as that can REALLY improve sound quality - the pop filter removes a lot of airflow noise (technically speaking, it's a low-pass filter) - then if you want to get technical there's a lot of stuff you can do on top of that to make you sound like a professional, audiably well-balanced radio host - but we'll skip THAT lesson for now :)
biggestmexi

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 am

the i5-2500k is socket 1155 FYI :)

And that is a very capable CPU. Depending on your current GPU, you may be able to upgrade it without bottle necking your system.

As for headsets, I have found in research that the ATH M-50's to be regarded as the best set under $200, and the cheaper you can find them, even better.

Right now I ordered some from Massdrop for $105 plus shipping in white. You do not even need a sound card to use them fully.

I use a Logitech 5.1 system at home when I am on my front PC, or I use a Tritton AX PRO. I cannot wait to get the M-50's in though.
Ashardis

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:48 am

biggestmexi wrote:the i5-2500k is socket 1155 FYI :)

And that is a very capable CPU. Depending on your current GPU, you may be able to upgrade it without bottle necking your system.
I stand (or sit, as it is) corrected! It is 1155, not 1156 - but the point about needing to swap mobos for a Haswell CPU is still valid :)
biggestmexi

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 am

Yes, very true. 32nm to 22nm and better power consumption though....

it has that.... lol

I do not know if it would be worth the upgrade of CPU and MOBO over just a GPU.
Ashardis

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Performancewise a 2500K is a better choice than most non-K versions of Haswell i5's
32nm vs 22nm is only a matter of power consumption, yes.. and mostly in idle anyways, since Haswell will ALSO gobble up power under full load.

The only real gain would be to get newer tech on the mobo, USB3.0 "native" instead of an addon-chipset - if present at all.. or the upgrades to teh built-in gfx, but since this is meant for gaming anyways, that part really doesn't matter.
I wouldn't really want to upgrade anything atm with this system.. as the next BIG thing is a better GPU.. and the choices start at $300'ish (770) and upwards.. and "only" upgrading 1 step is a bit wasteful.. as we ARE on a budget here.
I would wait for the 8XX-series of nVidia gfx or maybe see if Mantle brings anything useful in the next year to promote the switch to AMD GPU's (also the new models)..
Ahven1

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 pm

CommanderFlynn you could consider getting a ssd if you dont have one. Ashardis seem tho that directx 12 might copy mantle tho will be a year before we see it and you are right that for now mantle need growing up ....theres no real benefit on a good gaming pc.