MMO's and the Wheel - Ryn's Thoughts on Good MMO's

Feel free to talk about anything and everything gaming related
Rynea

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:14 am

Ever been wondering about new MMOs that come out with this or that 'feature' and then several communities and testers and reviewers mention how inventive it is, even though it has been seen like 10 years ago?

Ever wondered why MMOs always seem to make the same mistakes over and over again when they could so easily avoid them?

After over 15 years of MMO history that I've been playing through and even more of gaming history, there are a lot of things that seem to repeat over and over that I've seen. As with many things that started out small, innovation with new games has drastically decreased over the years. In the past nearly every MMO was different, had its own flair, its own mechanics and style. Today a good 90% or more of the games are clones of others.

What makes a game good .. or bad? Obviously this is a question that cannot be easily answered. A subjective topic everyone is bound to disagree on. I wanted to make a list anyways, my personal list, perhaps to give some points to think about, perhaps for others to find some games to play, maybe just to write down some thoughts because I enjoy making long winded posts, who knows ;)

Ryn's Cooking Recipe List for MMO Ingredients:

There are so many aspects of an MMO that it is hard to pin them all down. I just write about some aspects that I can think of here, this 'list' is nowhere near complete.

<< Graphics >>

There are many aspects that make players enjoy a game, but none gives as strong of a first impression as its graphics. Many games are discarded as bad, uninteresting or the like when the graphics do not look good.

What many are not aware of however is how much not only the game world itself can influence such a decision, but also the user interface of a game. Interfaces that look like semi transparent boxes that are more of an overlay than a real interface with bland looking symbols and no real art included in the overlays, often looking as if made with MS Paint can drastically change an impression on a game and the enjoyment of playing it.

After all the interface is something that you interact with every second of the game. An interface that looks good and gives feedback to the user in a meaningful and subtle way creates a very positive feeling. If I click something I want to know that I clicked it and I want to get an instant reaction not a delayed one. This includes menu's that don't just pop up but have interesting effects to appear, buttons with click effects that go beyond just a simple sound and the like.

Blizzard makes some of the best interfaces I have seen, both for their games like World of Warcraft, Star Craft II, Diablo III as well as for their webpages and while their games might have other flaws that I don't enjoy a lot, their interfaces are some of their shining examples in my opinion that many other games can learn from.

As for the overall graphics athmosphere and a feeling that every single model belongs to the world instead of just being placed inside of it is important too. A special mention regarding athmosphere goes to the game Journey. While way too short and even though I hate puzzle games, this game's athmosphere is epic, just epic.

Many of what is often called a triple A MMO does rather well on making the gameworld and the models that are placed inside look like it belongs together and I won't go into detail here on what I think is the best game in regards to graphics. There are many that are nice be it Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars 2 or even EVE Online in its own very simplistic way just to name a few that come to mind.

<< Gameworld >>

Players want an interesting gameworld to explore, to see something new while they are playing through the game. A world that is not adapting in any way does that only for a very short time until it becomes uninteresting. The smaller the world the harder it is for the player to see something new for long.

There are three main points that I think are important. It has to be vhast. It also needs variety and interesting things to explore.

Whats big? A very subjective thing, for me World of Warcraft doesn't have a big gameworld. I specifically mention WoW because many know it, many have played it and many more think that the gameworld is big. I feel quite the opposite, I think it is very limited. I can run through the whole gameworld from left to right (not including the Ocean) in about 15 minutes and about the same from north to south. Even less when flying. Also the Outer Regions and Northrend aren't of any serious sizes. When I'm talking of big gameworld I want to have a world that takes me hours just to run from one end to the other. Worlds like EVE Online, or Dereth in Asheron's Call, gameworlds that are so expansive that you can even after years still feel as if you're far away from having explored and memorized every single spot.

Not only is it technically possible and doable especially with all the land generating engines, but it makes exploring a gameworld interesting.

The second is variety. With manually set spawns with specific enemies (often the same type of enemy in a very small area on top of that) the exploration part is totally killed. Players find the same mob type in the same area every single day for weeks, months, years, however long till the next expansion changes the area in some meaningful way if ever at all. This is boring.

Random spawns make a game more interesting, players find some different enemy at one and the same spot, giving them more fun exploring a place. Interesting things to explore range from gathering nodes, special places of interests that give loot, achievements or whatever, dungeons and all sorts of stuff.

Many single player RPGs make it a lot of fun just exploring the area of a gameworld. Not only does it not always need a quest to go to a certain place, but going to places without quests should be encouraged.
The technology is there. Quests can and should not be linear but responding to a players choice.

Too many developers dumb down their quests too much, removing many interesting aspects for exploration. If the goal of a quest is to find a goblins head, then why do I not find a head of a goblin if I didn't meet an npc asking for it? I should have the option of finding a goblins head if I stumble upon that goblin even without talking to a questgiver first and should have the option of bringing it to him afterwards.

Did I mention that questpointers and marked areas on a map totally ruin the fun of exploring and finding things out on your own? But yes, we get to challenge of a game and dumbing down things later on.

Another point of variety is the third dimension. 90% of MMOs currently totally ignore that theres something called a hill, something called a mountain, something called an underground cave. They give players a nearly flat surface with barely any meaningful ways to climb, to jump, to fall down.

They create the illusion of an up and down but there really isn't any. Some don't have it at all and don't even give players a jump option, while other games like WoW build upon an illusion that there is a third dimension while most of their content is still flat and walking up or down is mostly a way of changing the scenery or get to another area of interest.

<< Customization and Choice >>

I want to play a melee mage who has a beard and is really thin and tall. Choices. I personally enjoy playing a character that I can customize and adapt to my playstyle and liking. Character creation is important for many players (like myself) and 5 different faces and 5 different hair styles / colours just won't do it.

I want to have sliders and want to design my own personal character. I understand that these options were not as easy to do in the past but any new MMO that even wants me as customer will need these things in order for me to even install it. There is just no real excuse not to have these options anymore in a modern game. For players who want predesigned characters, give them a few of those or even better generate a random character for them with a buttonclick.

A lot of games think it is necessary to have classes. While there are arguments for and against this I never really enjoyed being pushed into a class. I guess it's alright as long as I can still define who and what my character is. A big no go is limitations on armor sets or weapon choices. Another big no no is no customization within a class and I'm not talking about 5 choices how to adapt the character 'a little bit' and I'm definitely not talking about pure % increase modifiers which has nothing to do with adaption of a character, as it only adapts a characters stats and not the feeling of playing it in any meaningful way.

It isn't hard to have enough choices without giving the players the ability to create a character that can do everything. Melee mages while not as common of a theme as others is as viable an option to play and enjoy as many others. I seriously grow tired that I can never play those rogus with a staff, or no tankish character with a shield and a dagger and still seriously be competitive.

Not much to say here really. Throwing players into a predefined class that automatically gets certain abilities at some level not only takes out the fun of leveling up, it also makes everyone be the same ... sure thats easy for QA testing and balancing .. but also makes for a boring environment.

Games like Champions Online, while graphics and style of a Super Hero game might not interest many, has a very good character creator with near endless possibilities of how player characters look like. While it doesn't have to be this drastic and I'm not expecting the main part of the game to be its character creator, this is just one example of what a good customization of character looks can be like.
Rynea

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:14 am

<< Challenge and Consequences of Decisions >>

The human brain is a weird thing. Humans always try to go the way of least resistance, try to find the easiest path to walk with the greatest rewards. The problem there is, that the rewards of an online game are not really ingame items, but the fun and enjoyment the game should provide while playing. The best loot cannot make players happy if the way to achieve it is a boring grind.

Topics like death penalty, item loss on death and other penalties of failure have been discussed over and over. The funny thing I noticed is, that barely any have ever played a game with one or the other or even both. For older gamers death penalty and item loss wasn't really a big deal. For younger players that have not really played games with it, it seems to be some kind of scary thing that because everyone seems to say so they simply agree that it is bad. It takes away time finding your corpse and reduce penalty in order so that you can do more quests.

Quests .. oh yes. The same applies to quest markers. Oh how tiresome it would be if my quest monsters are not all neatly coddled together in a 1 x 1 square feet area and neatly marked with their name above the area. Best of all they obviously need the precise area marked on the map where they spawn and a nice arrow above my characters head just needs to point me in the right direction, because I never read quest instructions .. and with the later games unprecise directions I wouldn't find them anyways. Seriously though, making it easier for players to find enemies, does not make the game experience better. It makes it easier yet removes an important aspect of looking for something. Looking for something means you feel good about finding it. Pointing it out on the map removed the fun of looking and the happy feeling of having achieved something. What did we exchange this fun of exploration for? Why did we have to make quests easier? More time fighting the monsters.

Fighting monsters became easier too. Monster AIs are dumb and most don't prove a real challenge. Over time fights with enemies has deteriorated into meaningless fights that are no challenge, monsters got the name of minions or trash mobs, making it obvious that they aren't really worth a players time. In order to provide something for the players to spend time with, numbers to fight were increased. You no longer need to find a single mob or two and hunt it down, now they want your character to hunt scores of them. In some asia 'grinder' MMOs this goes up to 200 or 300 monsters for a single 'quest'
So why did we exchange the challenge of monsters for easier ones? To make more time to enjoy together with other players.

Wait wait .. this repeats itself somehow? So lets cut this short a little bit and get this point through. Player interaction has been dumbed down too. From auction houses that kills face to face trading, to making crafting easy to the point that you can have all crafters with your own chars, social interaction isn't really promoted a lot. Instead of finding friends to play with they invented dungeon finder systems that throws you into groups with random people that you will likely never see again ..
Rynea

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:15 am

Congratulations! We made everything easier! Now we have 90% of the time that was fun in older games cut away. That is 90% more time to spend on mindlessly grinding dungeons (because you need to kill 1 million trash mobs that are no challenge on their own), clicking through meaningless quest text (because you need no hints anyways that make reading it worthwhile because the area is nearby with big markers) and doing it all solo (because you can do raids and big stuff solo now with random people assigned without a problem, who needs social interaction anyways) some games like Runescape 2 even invented cool things like chat phrases for the poor kids who might be overextending themselves with a chat box.

Lets look at the beginnings of MMOs. There have been some older ones, but some of the very early MMOs that I've played were Asheron's Call and Ultima Online. In these games you were reading quest texts to get an idea of where you should be going to, because you had no quest markers. Often half or more of the actual quest was finding your way there, and that was with guides to help, if you were doing the quest as the first group ever it could take dozens of people working together on patch day sharing clues and taking them hours to solve it. It was fun to explore, to share thoughts and to try to achieve something that did not pop up as a meaningless 'I have grinded this or that' achievement in a meaningless book.

One of the coolest ideas in Asheron's Call was a system that gave a mentor / student relationship that actually provided serious benefits in experience for the mentor. Guilds were built upon these systems .. it gave them meaning beyond a chat and out of game interaction. People helped out each other in order to enjoy a challenge. they did not help each other to grind a million mobs.

Is it seriously a good idea to remove the challenge from games in order to make them more accessible to players who might have a harder time instead of making access to these challenges easier? Instead of making monsters easier, make it easier to team up. instead of making quests easier, give the players better and more interesting quest descriptions. I've had games in the past that i espised and still played because of certain questlines because the stories were written so well. Instead of building meaningless achievements, give players a real way to bond together in guilds and other groups that help them in a cool way.

<< Content >>

Why do all new MMOs have nothing else to do than "defeat X of Y, or hunt X for Y item, or find item Z and bring it to NPC A" ? There are a few exceptions that provided some more interesting quests that the above mentioned ones, for example Dungeons and Dragons Online did that. Sometimes it doesn't have to be a highly scripted boss to provide fun and challenge and a cool quest, sometimes a dungeon or ruin with a jumping part, or simply a maze without boss might do as well.

When there were old games with over 150 dungeons from beta start I wonder how other games can seriously think that 20 of them will be enough for players, but lately players buy first check the game second. Even with free to play games, it's often more about prestige and item character customization that get paid heavily.

Variety and interesting quests are important. While older games often shine here, a horrible example is EVE Online, even though it has many strong aspects in other areas. Repetitive, too few and totally boring quests. Most other games are not exceptionally interesting in one way or the other. All of Guild Wars 2, Age of Conan, Rift, Neverwinter, among others offer the basic solid and mostly uninteresting variety of quests. I enjoyed The Secret World in a way more than the others in this regard, as it offers some quests that don't give you pointers and are a really cool challenge to figure out if you want to do them without spoilers from guides, some of them really really obscure taking hours and longer to go through on your own.

It definitely does work well for the companies. Players buy and buy meaningless colours and accessories that should have been in the game by default and no one even thinks twice if thats really the way to go. They don't realize that these games are stomped out every year and year again by companies who drag the development teams away shortly after beta from the game leaving only a fraction of what is necessary to keep a game not only active and alive but also healthy. For months they fail to accept that it's just a game that gets no more attention from anyone and just the shop recieves updates, it collapses to pay to win, then in the end to pay to have any content at all.

Updates are an integral part of every MMO that you would like to enjoy for more than a few weeks. I could give examples here, but to keep this short again, as my personal recomendation, be very careful with anything published by Aeriagames and Perfect World International and similar companies. The games will all die and be left with it's playerbase hoping forever for serious updates.

<< Being Active in an Online Game >>

Many things in MMOs defaulted to a standard that is no longer technically necessary. This includes boring select and click the skill systems and linear questing because you simply couldn't influence the world in any meaningful way. At least in regards to combat we see some improvements in the last few years. Combat gets more and more action oriented, select and click systems getting replaced by more FPS style combat systems where you aim and target freeform on your own in games like Tera and Wildstar. Crowd Control even changes in Wildstar from 'loosing your ability to control your character' to making it more challenging to play your character, an improvement I think is very important because it aims on making it more challenging without removing the players ability to actually play and be active about it. I don't think it will take all that long till we see the first MMOs with collision systems and things like destructible environments like we know from shooters. I am looking forward to it.

I hope questing one day will also get such an improvement. Choices would be rather nice to have in MMOs, similar to many interesting single player RPGs like Gothic or like Cohh just plays Witcher
I would even take it a step further and make game affecting choices based on a server populations decisions. Different servers might develop in a different way depending on players choices.

One way or the other we will see a lot of games that might not live up to our expectations. The only thing we can do to see more of what we want and less of what we dislike is a really simple thing. Don't buy or play games that don't meet your standards and support those games that you enjoy for one thing or the other and support things like kickstarter and other campaigns picking games carefully and give your money to a game company not because everyone else does too, but because you enjoy the game they make.

Have fun playing, whatever YOU enjoy the most, after all, it is the gamers who decide what games are being made in the long run!

Cheers Rynea
Opep64

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Wow Rynea, that was a good read. In general, in MMOs I like to explore (environment and mechanics), pvp, crafting/building, and collecting stuff. I do like running PVE instances, but don't like endlessly grinding the same few instances over and over again.

I started a completely different response, but I decided to make this a list of MMOs I played and why I left them. I started playing games in 1978, but didn't play an MMO until 2002 (so I missed out on the early classics).

Asheron's Call 2: I started playing this with two friends as my first MMO. Playing with others was great. My friends and I left because the game seemed to lose everything we liked about it when we moved to the second continent.

Lineage 2: I liked the open PvP, but I didn't enjoy the endless grinding to level up.

Horizons: The content and environments were only so-so, but I enjoyed the crafting/building (it took a long time to build things like your guild house). This was the first game I joined a guild with people (I didn't know). Over time people in the guild got bored and started leaving, and I realized I was only playing for the community, so I left.

Dark Age of Camelot: I tried this late, and by the time I tried it there was no one in the early areas and it felt like I was playing single player.

Everquest: After playing other games I just couldn't get past the graphics/interface which by then were behind the curve of what I had tried already.

Star Wars Galaxies: I liked the gathering mechanics in this game and had some fun. One of my kids was born during this time. After a couple of weeks I went back to playing games and found that I just didn't want to play anymore.

City of Heroes: I had a great time with this game until about level 14. At that point the game became very grindy without much variety.

Everquest 2: Actually had fun with this game, but it came out within a week of World of Warcraft. I'm not exactly young, and the couple of people I knew that played MMOs all went to WoW, so I went to.

World of Warcraft: Played from launch until the middle of Cataclysm. For all things Blizzard does wrong they do a lot right. The game was polished and over time they added quite a variety of things to do. I stayed with the game so long because of my two RL friends and the guild we were in. I eventually left for good (other than a quick month with the Pandas) when I tried Rift.

Lord of the Rings Online: I'm a big fan of Tolkien and the environments are fantastic. They also did an excellent job weaving your story in with the actual book story. The PvP (monster play) is imbalanced but can be a good time. One RL friend came over to play and we still play some. I bought a lifetime subscription well before they went free to play, so I don't really have to pay any money for expansions. I will continue to play expansions for the main PVE story until the game closes (sometime between 2014-2017).

Rift: This game was just better in almost every aspect than WoW. I enjoyed this for months and got into a good guild, but eventually the guild imploded as it tried to expand its raiding capacity. Most of the people I played with in the guild scattered or left, and just doing dailies on my own and trying pickup groups just wasn't fun anymore.

DC Universe Online: I liked the combat in this game, but the end game was almost non-existant after reaching max level. There just wasn't enought to do.

Star Wars TOR: Story was great. Huttball was fun. Having tank abilities actually do something useful in PvP was good. Ilum was a disaster (from no one attacking anyone to terrible lag). The planets were not fun to explore, and the endgame just wasn't there. I couldn't bring myself to level another character.

Tera: Combat was good. Characters were silly. In the end, the bland questing/story turned me off. I never got a max level character.

Guild Wars 2: This was the game I thought would be "it", the game I would call home for years. I leveled a couple of characters up to max, and had all characters over level 30. After a couple of months, however, the immersion went away as we all learned the patterns of the dynamic events and had event timers. I just didn't want to grind for a legendary, there was nothing to really collect (as most things fun things like pets were bought), and WvW was completely ignored by the devs. I was so excited about WvW since it had the potential to become more than just the zerg vs zerg it turned out to be.

Dragon's Prophet: I wanted to like this game, but the combat controls were just too loose and the sound was just so weak.

Neverwinter: Had a blast for a while, but got turned off by the obvious money grab it appeared to be.

Final Fantasy 14: I couldn't buy this for digital download right after launch. I thought the cast times and cooldowns were too long, but I still enjoyed it. But by the time I got in I was behind the leveling curve. Combine that with the fact that I don't get to play much, and I got stuck not being able to progress the story (and thus unlock the instances). Even as a healer I spent quite a lot of time just waiting to try to get into instances to progress.

At this point I think I want a good sandbox MMO where my experience is not the same as everyone else's, where there is no wiki that tells where to go, where there is no add-on that tells me to get out of the red circle, where there is no quest pointer tell me which way to go. So for me ArcheAge and EQ Next seem to be the most promising, but I'm also planning to try Wildstar and ESO.

I look forward to future MMOs with the Cohhmunity, since I think community is one of the key factors for me and the enjoyment of an MMO.

See you in game,

--Opep
Rynea

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Opep and for reading my walls of texts. When I started to write my post I also had some other things in mind, but it ended up to be the way it is now. Regarding your comments about DAoC, I felt the same way about Asheron's Call after nearly 7 years of playing it and it was the reason i finally left.