Furmark PC Shutdown

Kunguru

I havemy new PC built. I was trying to do a test in Furmark to see how it responds. However, by the time it reaches @10 minutes the whole PC shuts down. I have to unplug it,replug it and reset the power supply before it will start up again.

I've uploaded the GPU sensor log, but I don't see any horrible temperatures.

My build is:

i5-4760k (not OCed)
8 GB RAM
Gigabyte R9 290 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card GV-R929OC-4GD

2 ssd's
1 HDD

I've actually lowered the amount of power the card can utilize in msi afterburner.

So my concern is it is either a bad PSU

Or

My power outlet. It's a old house and my outlet is not grounded, despite being 3 pronged. I know if I have my other computer powered on it will trip the breaker.

Other Info:

When I do not lower the power and run the burn in test it barely makes a minute before complete computer shutdown. This is at 1920x1080 and at 720.
Attachments
IMG_1984 (800x600).jpg
TheLG

Hard to say exactly what the problem is. I don't know how true that output log is on power usage, but the max it says your GPU ever hits is 232.5W with an average of 181W. Even considering the power draw from your other components, you shouldn't be over your PSU rated wattage (which is 750W iirc from your other thread).

Do you have any sort of power meter you could plug into the wall to see what the full power draw of your system is?
Dream on little dreamer.
Kunguru

Thelg59, no I don't. However I have found that lowering the master powerlimit on the card it does seem to help. Not limiting the power results in an almost instant shutdown. I've tried to lighten the load on the circuit, and that hasn't done anything. Nothing else attached to the outlet crashes. I'm wondering if it's my surge protector.
Kunguru

to be honest should I even be worried if furmark crashes the system, as it's mean to push the limits.
TheLG

After long enough I would say no, but 10 minutes seems awfully short, or even shorter if at a higher powerlimit on your GPU. I know Prime95 will cause a system crash after long enough, once it gets to the point of your system being *too* under load, so I would imagine that Furmark might do the same with a GPU; 10 minutes just seems short.

Maybe try and play a few games, sit on this thread and see who else replies. I'm no power expert so others might know better, but if playing games is fine, then I'd think you'll be fine in the long run.
Dream on little dreamer.
Ikarit

Please do not (!) take Furmark as a benchmark. It just isn't comparable. I had a GPU, a amd 7970 that crashed in Furmark after 2 mins and the card is perfectly fine. On the otherhand I have another 7970 and with that one furmark runs for hours. Some cards do well in furmark some don't. As long as your PSU is in a reasonable size and you checked that there aren't any strange temps your system is just fine ;) . Furmark is good for heating up your room but not for testing cards ;)
Ikarit
Ashardis

Furmark is a REALLY nice tester of OC'd cards, but it's the equivalent of the REALLY harsh burn-in test

Some drivers & cards REALLY doesn't like it at all..

The card is 99% surely super fine, just go play games :)
Callumdk

Programs you should use to test your PC and hardware in to make sure everything is stable and what not is , 3DMark , Furmark and Heaven 4.0

I am a strong believer in that if something crashes under a stress test, something is off , and my PC can run those tests just fine.

And whoever says that prime95 can crash any system its just a matter of time, okay ?

Seriously some of you people talk out of your ass sometimes without having any bloddy knowledge of what your saying or doing.

On this rig i have currently and any other rig i have build i have always run IntelBurnTest / Prime95 for like 8-12 hours while sleeping, i've done 3dMark , Furmark and Heaven on all previous systems as well, i am a IT business owner now and i've been building PC's of my own since i was like 17, i am 33 now.

Back to your problem, if your system shuts down completely like that, i'd say there is something wrong with your PSU

Check that your PSU is on the recommended list - http://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/co ... 45344.aspx

I would never use anything below a Tier 2 when building a quality PC

I apologize for my harsh language but some people just talk to much crap without having any kind of knowledge.
Ashardis

callumdk wrote:(...) Seriously some of you people talk out of your ass sometimes without having any bloddy knowledge of what your saying or doing.
(...)
I apologize for my harsh language but some people just talk to much crap without having any kind of knowledge.
@[USER=7733]callumdk[/USER] - thanks for acknowledging that you're writing harsh language and that's why I'd like you to rephrase your post above as it's really not that respectful.

Once that part is done and other with, I agree with @[USER=7733]callumdk[/USER] in that if everything is 100% up to spec and you have well-/oversized components of high quality in the PSU/Cooling department, then running 24/7 burn-in tests should totally be ok.

However, as most of us mere mortals rarely load our PC both 100% cpu/100%gpu wise for many many hours, most people don't need to buy double or triple price PSU's and/or same with in regards to cooling.

So, if @[USER=13801]kunguru[/USER] can play all of his games for hours n hours without any problems, BUT it crashes after 10mins for FurMark and he experiences no troubles with it outside of FurMark whatsoever, then I see a couple of solutions.

1 : Go to the store/send in the PSU for RMA and replacement OR upgrade the PSU to another brand (since 750W should clearly be enough)
Depending on how easy/quick this is, @[USER=13801]kunguru[/USER] will have some days/weeks without a PSU and/or spend more money on this. Since this is maybe a very high load based error, there's a high risk of the store reporting back that the PSU works "just fine" if they cba to test it properly, resulting in even more hassle and waiting.

2 : Accept that FurMark isn't really THAT important, unless you want to wave Virtual E-Peens around / post scores about your systems performance, and since everything else is working just peachy - leave it be and continue without any money spent/days or weeks waiting on a new PSU with a high risk of the store reporting back that the PSU works "just fine".

Not everyone has tons of money to spend on hardware, not everyone needs 24/7 100% load performance (like in a business) and not everyone has a super awesome relationship with their hardware supplier (based on previous expenditures) that will make them accept RMA cases that might otherwise be "contested".

So, my advice to @[USER=13801]kunguru[/USER] is to take into account the factors mentioned in 1 & 2 and apply those to making the decision on how to proceed.
Ikarit

@[USER=7733]callumdk[/USER],

yeah it might be just as you say.
I didn't say anything about that furmark isn't a programm to test your hardware if it runs stable and what not. I said it isn't comparable as a Benchmark. :)
Just wanted to clarify that ;)

When heaven 4.0 runs fine but furmark doesn't is it a problem with the psu?
Ofc it can be.
Could also be that Furmark is throttled down by the display driver or by any kind of hardware lock itself, see the gtx 580
(hardware chip that clocks down the card when using furmark)
or amd catalyst drivers - since 8.8 and up- (Driver is detecting Furmark and running it in low priority mode)
for example that could lead to a system crash.

That's why I think furmark isn't usefull for statements like "Oh when it runs Furmark more than X hours it's fine." when it comes to stock cards.

I agree completely with you callumdk, but Ashardis wrote above and pointed out what I wanted to add here pretty much.
I'm always happy to learn smth new but please, I appreciate kindness :)

Ikarit
Callumdk

Correct the GTX580 was known for having to be downclocked / down volted etc.

But FurMark puts alot of stress on your GPU which is what its supposed to do , but it also makes sure your PSU gets stressed considering your GPU is gonna suck all the power it can from the PSU